Thread: Savage SBR

Basic Member

Savage SBR

Has anyone ever SBRed a savage model 11? I just think it would be cool to be able to use striker barrels with a full stock.

Another question I have, if anyone knows the answer, if not a call to the ATF would be in order. Once an action has been registered as an SBR could one have a pistol length barrel and striker stock installed and still be legal. I know the action would be designated as a rifle from the factory but I wonder if the SBR would find a loop hole.

I would prefer this not get into a heated debate. If it does I'll just close the thread.

IIRC the SBR classification doesn't limit you to a rifle stock, you should be able to put a pistol stock on it if you want. Many people make "pistols" out of Savages and just keep the barrels over 16 1/4" and the OAL over 26" (not sure on the 26", may be 28" can't remember) and as long as the OAL of the gun from muzzle to the rear most part is over 26" and the barrel is over 16" its still legally a rifle.

As far as Striker barrels, many people that have True Strikers or the "Pistol Styled Rifle" (as described above) just use standard rifle sporter barrels and cut them down to 16 1/2 of 17 inches.

If it were me I'd just trim down your rifle barrel to 16 1/2" and then you don't have to mess with SBR legallities and still have a very short carbine length rifle and be totally legal.

JMHO and check all laws yourself before precceeding.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

I made several mods to a model 11 including cutting the barrel down to 16" and love the little carbine that resulted. I did install a brake to help reduce recoil on the lightweight and wound up with an OAL of 37"(34" without the brake). If I'm not mistaken some of the striker barrels with the adjustable brake come in at 16" and could be installed without the stamp as long as the brake was pinned or silver soldered on.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.