Thread: Barrel threading

Barrel threading

Hi all, I have sporter barrel contour on my 111 30-06, muzzle diameter is 9/16. Can I thread it to 9/16 threads, being i have the threads major diameter, with no shoulder however... Or must I go to 1/2" threads?

If we could try to avoid the argument over muzzle devices that would be swell!!!

sinman
    No, you need a shoulder. I would cut it 1/2"x28tpi and if you need it to go to 5/8"x24tpi I would use an adapter

Ok thanks, I will probably go the route of drilling out a 1/2" threaded brake

stangfish
    Get a clamp on or bottom out the MB on the end of the barrel rather than the shoulder on the major diameter. Then there is the adaptor concept....I like that Idea.
    Last edited by stangfish; 04-15-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Basic Member
    why can't a lock nut be used instead of the shoulder?
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

sinman
    The biggest thing when threading a muzzle of a barrel is making sue you are threading it concentric to the bore. This also holds true to the shoulder, if the shoulder is off the device could cant and cause poor accuracy and or strikes. When ever I do barrel work I always line up off the bore to .0002" and do my threading, chambering, and crowning. The same goes for threading for a brake. A barrel is never contoured to the bore, some might be off only .001" and some I have seen are .020". This is why I hate the idea of a clamp on muzzle brake, you are lining up your brake off of a surface known to be off. A nut would work but you would want to true the nut to the threads.

Thanks sinman, I am having a shop do it, even though I have access to a machine shop, prefer to have someone who knows hat hey are doing take care of it...

Can I thread to muzzle diameter (9/16) and use jam nut, or is 1/2" threads with shoulder really the way to go?