Thread: barrel storage

Basic Member

barrel storage

I'm starting to accumulate several barrels and have a question on storage. In my racing days I always stored crankshafts and camshafts standing on end due to possible warpage. Is this necessary for barrels or can they be laid flat? Thanks
    VLP 22-250<br />VLP 243<br />Stevens 25-06<br />Stevens 308, now a 6Norma BR with Criterion bull and Bobby Hart LRT<br />Savage Model 10 243<br />93R 17HMR<br />an old Savage model 5 22 tube feed bolt action<br /><br />And they all shoot great.<br />Also several off-brand stuff

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I put a light coat of oil -in & out - on mine, wrap in plastic Then into a cardboard shipping tube. I keep them laying flat, elevated off the floor. I haven't had any warpage trouble with them.
    Barrel steel is pretty hard stuff.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Team Savage
    Stand them on end, just like the cranks and cams. Crank shaft steel is pretty tough too but I have seen crankshaft and camshaft warpage from laying on their sides with my own eyes so I know it can happen. Shipping tubes are a good idea as well as lots of oil. Not as much mass as a crankshaft but why take the chance.

82boy
    Thee is a difference between a crank shaft and a barrel, and that is a crank shaft has large throws, and when sitting on the side, it sits on these throws, and the center line is not supported, this is why you stand them on end. A barrel has no throws and is fully supported on the centerline, when it is sitting flat, So letting a barrel sit flat will not hurt it at all. I recommend you put your barrels in bags like this, and mark the bag what the barrel is, and so forth. http://www.benchrite.com/cscart/inde...oduct_id=29825

Team Savage
    And I might add: Like Patrick mentioned, not much chance of a barrel "bending" if it's stored on a flat surface. No worse or differet than barrel, mounted on an action with no forearm surport/contact. Only difference, standing upright takes up less space than laying flat. Bag them if you've got them.

Dangerous Dan
    Mike old habits die hard with me to I store mine on there ends also ..... thats what 38 years working in auto michine shop does for ya lol

you may also want to consider a thread protector from PT&G. Damaging a barrel's threads will make attachment to the receiver impossible, or at least result in a poor mating with the action and decreased accuracy. A thread protector threads onto a barrel when not in use, protecting the barrel threads from harm during storage.

I wrap mine in bubble wrap then place them in an old Boyds stock box. They fit perfect and when wrapped up no need to really worry about threads or crowns. I store mine flat on the bottom shelf of my gun room.