Thread: Major Malfunction... Need Help. ???

Vitalshot

Major Malfunction... Need Help. ???

At the range today I fired a round from my Savage 111 30-06 and had a stuck bolt after the shot. After wrestling the bolt back the shell was stuck to the bolt head. I pried the shell off and what I thought was just the primer made a light tick as it hit the ground. Well, I guess it wasn't just the primer because I seem to be missing the ejector from the bolt head. After about 5 people looking all over for it, we finaly gave up. What are my options now? should I send the bolt to Savage for warranty work, or is it an easy fix? Might I have damaged anything else?

mytwo60

Re: Major Malfunction... Need Help. ???

I don't know the damaged done to the bolt or bolt head (if any), but if you want to replace the ejector assembly yourself you'll need to order these parts.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=117919
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=782010
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=194256

I'm sure there are step by step instructions somewhere in the forum. Good luck.

Vitalshot

I have the spring it didn't fall out, but whatever the spring was for is gone. I think there is supposed to be some kind of ball bearing and plate of some sort?

mytwo60

So is the ejector or "extractor" missing? The links I gave you is for the ejector parts because that is what you identied as the problem. If you want to replace the "extractor" then you'll need these parts:

Actual extractor
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=107108

The "ball bearing" but is called the Detent ball
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=149221

The spring incase you need it.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...er=444465'

Hope this helps.

Vitalshot

That's it! thank you very much.

lwink

That is what you need indeed, take a very close look at the bolt head though, make sure you don't have any damage to it. May be safest to order a whole new assembly from SSS. Are you shooting reloads?? Did you notice any premature signs of over pressure before this shot?

Vitalshot

Yes I was shooting reloads and hadn't noticed any problems except... I had one primer that wasn't seated well and ended up misfiring. So maybe that was the problem and it blew back. I did notice as well that the flash hole in the shells was kinda large in this Winchester case compared to my federal cases. Is there any way to check the firing pin somehow with a snap cap and tape or something? It doesn't seem like there is damage other than the extractor missing.

if you look at the hole in the side of the receiver up near where the lugs lock, this is the path where the jet of gas passed through from the primer exhaust, redirects off the front baffle and out the hole. rear baffle diverts anything that went through the bolt tube and came out the bolt tube. built in savage safety factor, it tends to blow out the EXTRACTOR and blow crap into the ejecter. they both may be malfunctioning. find a ball and put the extractor back together and go shoot. :)
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Vitalshot

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    if you look at the hole in the side of the receiver up near where the lugs lock, this is the path where the jet of gas passed through from the primer exhaust, redirects off the front baffle and out the hole. rear baffle diverts anything that went through the bolt tube and came out the bolt tube. built in savage safety factor, it tends to blow out the EXTRACTOR and blow crap into the ejecter. they both may be malfunctioning. find a ball and put the extractor back together and go shoot. :)
    Do you have any of those bigger balls in... I can't believe I just wrote that. anyways yeah, maybe I might as well try a bigger detent ball since I need to get a new one anyway? I need the extractor itself that sits one the ball. That went flying someplace.

pull the gun out of the stock and check the mag well?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Vitalshot

You mean to look for the parts? I heard them hit the ground at the range, and they are lost.

Basic Member

You mentioned the primer holes are fairly large. I would THROW away those cases, as the next one might blow up in your face. Oversize primer holes allow too much gas to go to the primer, and this sort of problem WILL persist.

Get new brass and stick to strict loading manual data.

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    You mentioned the primer holes are fairly large. I would THROW away those cases, as the next one might blow up in your face. Oversize primer holes allow too much gas to go to the primer, and this sort of problem WILL persist.

Get new brass and stick to strict loading manual data.
    You use a hand primer tool? any case the primer falls into with no pressure should be discarded or at the very least moved to low pressure duty. You can check the brass also by measuring the web and comparing it to some new brass. 0.470 is spec .0002 is about all the growth you want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalshot
    Yes I was shooting reloads and hadn't noticed any problems except... I had one primer that wasn't seated well and ended up misfiring. So maybe that was the problem and it blew back. I did notice as well that the flash hole in the shells was kinda large in this Winchester case compared to my federal cases. Is there any way to check the firing pin somehow with a snap cap and tape or something? It doesn't seem like there is damage other than the extractor missing.
    same charge it the different cases? LOL max load?

any case the primer falls into with no pressure should be discarded
    What is the BEST way to determine if the primer pocket is too loose?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    any case the primer falls into with no pressure should be discarded
    What is the BEST way to determine if the primer pocket is too loose?
    The best way is to use a hand priming tool and feel how easy each primer seats. You should feel resistance to seating he primer and you should have to squeeze the hand priming device fairly hard. If the primer seats with just finger and thumb pressure, it's getting too loose.

Even in a press mounted priming tool, you should feel the resistance of the primer seating.
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

I use an RCBS priming tool priming Lapua brass. I don't feel that much resistance when priming! I just shot 50 or 60 rounds yesterday and there were no signs of leakage, pressure, or anything indicating a loose pocket!!!!! Some did take a little more pressure than others but this is the exception. I am using WLR primers. I might try some CCI next go around.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]