Thread: Differences between blue and stainless?

Basic Member

Differences between blue and stainless?

Just a basic question...if everything else is equal, are stainless barrels any more accurate than blued barrels? Other advantages one way or the other?

How about the same question for blued versus stainless actions?

stevec

Re: Differences between blue and stainless?

As far as barrels go, more accurate, no. Stainless will machine better(in the bore) and most companies will automaticly lapp stainless barrels to remove tool marks. Most charge extra for lapping chrome moly(blued) barrels. In the end stainless usually dont foul as quick and clean easier than blued. Some people clame stainless bores will last longer but I cant say its true or not, I only have one chrome moly barrel and it has not been shot enough to wear out.

Steve

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by privateer
    Just a basic question...if everything else is equal, are stainless barrels any more accurate than blued barrels? Other advantages one way or the other?

How about the same question for blued versus stainless actions?

No to both questions.

Salvo

I live close to the coast and have developed a strong preference for stainless steel actions and barrels. - Most but not all of the blue and parkerized stuff develops rust problems from the salty dust and high humidity in the air here. One of my guns will start rusting even with a sheen of oil on the barrel, it's a constant battle to keep it intact. A century old Swedish Mauser I have seems almost impervious to rust, on the other hand. - Dunno why.

My theory is that if the stainless is too shiny for hunting, then a roll of bowhunters' camo tape will fix that.

Talntedmrgreen

Quote Originally Posted by Salvo
    I live close to the coast and have developed a strong preference for stainless steel actions and barrels. - Most but not all of the blue and parkerized stuff develops rust problems from the salty dust and high humidity in the air here. One of my guns will start rusting even with a sheen of oil on the barrel, it's a constant battle to keep it intact. An century old Swedish Mauser I have seems almost impervious to rust, on the other hand. - Dunno why.

My theory is that if the stainless is too shiny for hunting, then a roll of bowhunters' camo tape will fix that.
    I prefer stainless for this reason as well. A blued gun looks great, but I can't keep the rust away. Mine keep oiled and still rust sitting behind lock and key, let alone when in the field. Michigan is just too wet, or too humid, and it snows everyday when it's too cold to be either of the former.

I use the Camo Form wrap in either advantage or snow camo. It's easy get on and off and uses no adhesive. I'm on my second yote year with both rolls, and it works like the day I bought it.

82boy

Try rubbing the blued steel down with a cleaning cloth with a mixture of Vasoline, CLP, Kroil, and shooters choice fp10. I have used this combo with excellent luck. It takes light unseen coat rust off as you wipe it down the first time, the patch will be rust colored. After that the patches wipe off clean.