Thread: Yet another dumb question.....

Basic Member

Yet another dumb question.....

Today I bailed out my 30-06 model 10fxp from the pawn shop. I got it all broken down and cleaned up. I started to rebuild the bolt. I am building a 264 win mag... I purchased an oversized bolt handle, new round back rear baffle, and a new mag bolt head for the bolt body from PTG... I got it all together tonight and I see that the firing pin does not come through the bolt face. Its about 3mm short. Do I need to buy a new firing pin assembly or do have the wrong bolt head?

Thanks

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

Basic Member
    I think that I have it figured out.... I noticed that the length the firing pin travels can be adjusted. (So great being a newby)! So now my question is how far does it need to come out of the breach face? Not enough would cause light strikes and too much is gonna puncture primers. Now I know why im getting some heavy primer strikes on my Swift.
    MOAON AABE

Here is some info that might help...

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...rotrusion-Data

Gary

Basic Member
    Gary,

Thank you very much! I didnt see that article.... I was taking the firing pin completely apart to adjust it.... Im stoked that I dont need any more new parts!

I love this site!

Ryan
    MOAON AABE

82boy
    Your firing pin protrusion should be about 35 thousands. People that prescribe to the old mauser rifle belief will tell you that you need 50 thousands of firing pin protrusion. There is more to firing pin adjustment than meets the eye. You need a certain amount of total firing pin travel to have proper ignition, and that number is 220 thousands. To measure firing pin travel you will need to buy another back action screw, (BAS) and a dial caliper. You can take the simple approach and buy one (BAS) for a accu-stock gun that has a hole in the back of it, or you can buy one and drill a hole in the back. You need something for the caliper you index off of, and this is where a "gunk button" (Made by SSS out of a 38 special case, and a ball bearing.) pays off. You cock the rifle, and measure off the BAS with your calipers where the firing pin is at, then pull the trigger de-cocking the rifle and measure again. The difference between the two numbers is your firing pin travel, to get total firing pin travel you need to subtract your firing pin protrusion.