Thread: Reconsidering my rifle vendetta on gophers

jlcpls

Reconsidering my rifle vendetta on gophers

Been trying to get the posse of rodents undermining my driveway for a while, but work and other commitments take up all the right time to go hunting - I only see the vermin sometimes when I'm leaving for work and rarely when I'm coming home. Our drive is a half mile long and the critters are going gonzo near the end at the highway. I have spent some time at the top of the hill on the driveway in the past with my Savage 22mag GL when I get the time in the evening but no joy.

Yesterday afternoon, I get home and park on the driveway just off the road and start walking up to the bend at the culvert - where they have a condo, just to see if they are out and maybe heading for cover when they hear the truck roll in.

I round the bend, and there I see my quarry, and me without my rifle.

As I get closer, I see the cutest little baby woodchuck. Wet from rain and innocently chewing on moist grass just off the gravel.

I continue my approach, footsteps silenced by the wet ground I see a kind, gentle, and harmless little creature that only wants to live and eat.

A mere baby in the animal world, its innocence far overcomes the brutality of what I had in store for it, had my Savage been there to be a savage.

Every step brings me closer to God's creature, this gentle, warm creation of the animal kingdom - mere weeks from the womb and probably just now learning to eat solid food, I am amazed. Simply amazed.

Amazed that I got that close. Pulled the M&P 9c and put one in the head. Point blank.

Hell of an exit wound

recovered the bullet too:

To the thread title, my second thoughts are the rifle. Handgunning them at point blank range is a hoot.

At least let him/her get a little bigger and give fair chase then a bullet in the head

jlcpls
    Skippy turned around just before I capped him. He wasn't too warm and fuzzy at that point. Didn't think something that small could hiss so loud. Stood up on his back legs and held out the claws.

He had to go. His brother is next. Or ma, doesn't much matter.

Going to have to clear out around the culvert and see the extent of their excavation. Already found one sink hole forming.

davemuzz
    If you get the big 'un's with a 45-70 within 25 yards, you would think a bog 'ol 405 lead would just smash 'em. But.....on the contrary...it just puts a big 'ol hole in, and a big 'ol hole out. But the 'hog just plops over right there. No violent gore or anything. So, I went back to the .223 with 40gr. V-max bullets. Lots more inside outside\outside inside that way. :)

Basic Member
    just think all those car bombers were once lovable little creatures also.
    life can be challenging at times.

Basic Member
    Shooting them is entertaining but this is more effective

Www.rodenator.com

We bought one when we still had our place in CA.

davemuzz
    Missed.....That's pretty cool......but it's actually illegal here in Pa. Yeah....go figure. That's illegal, along with beating one to death with any thing, or gassing one with auto\truck\ATV exhaust, live trapping and relocating, poisoning, etc. You can only kill 'em with a valid hunting license and a rifle\handgun or bow\crossbow.

Go figure...huh?

Basic Member
    It was surprising that it was legal in CA, they were extremely destructive. Between the gophers and ground squirrels our place looked like a war zone and it was dangerous for the livestock.

Basic Member

davemuzz
    Oh.....I did forget one thing. If you have a vehicle and a valid drivers license (I happen to have a Silverado) you can nail 'em when they come out on the road on hot days. And you don't even need a hunting license to do that. Ask me how I know?

nockhunter
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    Shooting them is entertaining but this is more effective

Www.rodenator.com

We bought one when we still had our place in CA.
    That's cool. A friend of mine used to use gasoline in the holes around his grass strip. A burning oil soaked rag in one end, look for smoke out the other, then add gas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wait for it,,,,,BOOM.

Mike