Thread: 110BA versus 110 (plane jane vanila)

Basic Member

110BA versus 110 (plane jane vanila)

Is there a difference in the actions? I don't believe so, but would like to confirm. Thinking I am going to keep an eye out for a LA to build a 338 LM with.

I think Fred (sharpshooter) answered this question in the past... IIRC the bolt lugs are considerably beefier, and the receiver has a small(er) ejection port rather than a wide-open hunting action cut for 1960's era iron sights and top loading a blind magazine. I think the receiver is also a little longer around the barrel shank region. I might be wrong... happens time to time Try searching Fred's posts for more info.

Basic Member
    Tried searching and found some stuff, but nothing specific to this question. I already have a WMS action and may just go with a 6.5 or 7 RSAUM.

Yeah... I'm having trouble finding *any* of my posts more than about 1.5 yrs old, so I'm not sure what they did with the archives. You might have to PM sharpshooter directly for a more detailed answer.

Basic Member
    The 110 BA is different from the standard 110. As Monte said, the lug abutments are thicker, it uses a large shank barrel, and it uses a thicker bolt head. It was specifically designed for the .338 Lapua. A standard long action for a .338 Lapua is a no-no.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Thanks. Appreciate that. Guess I need to save a little more and get a real 110BA :)

Not sure about other differences but the short action model 10BA uses a standard small shank barrel. I wouldn't think there would be much difference if any on the short action rifles. Near as I can tell the 110BAs are all chambered for magnum calibers.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

My 10BA is in 308, the stock as far as i can figure is $6 to $800 don't remember maker right now

bodywerks
    ^^^ what's the point of that post??

Fred can correct me, but I believe the 110BA in 300win is a regular 110 action the 110BA for the Lapua is the one that is different.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    As far as I know they are the same, with the exception of the bolt head diameter. I've been told that the 110 BA's have a slightly different heat treat also.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

bodywerks
    Internet rumors. They are a pain. I'm going to call savage Monday and find out for myself, as i just bought s Bartlein barrel and would prefer to put it on a savage action, but if i have to spend $1200+ on a sacrificial rifle i might as well just pick up a stiller tac338 action for $1100.

You could always buy a model 116 Alaskan hunter in 375 Ruger to use. It is a large shank action. You can find them for under $600, it's what I am going to use when I get around to building a 338 Norma Mag.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoalwater View Post
    You could always buy a model 116 Alaskan hunter in 375 Ruger to use. It is a large shank action. You can find them for under $600, it's what I am going to use when I get around to building a 338 Norma Mag.
    I think I'm going to save my pennies and just go with a custom action. Probably the Stiller Tac338. Heard lots of good things about it. I'm not in any hurry to build this, but wanted to roadmap it and figure out generally what kind of money I am staring at.

Good choice, if I don't end up doing a Savage action the Tac 338 was the one I was looking at as well.

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by capreppy View Post
    I think I'm going to save my pennies and just go with a custom action. Probably the Stiller Tac338. Heard lots of good things about it. I'm not in any hurry to build this, but wanted to roadmap it and figure out generally what kind of money I am staring at.
    Just did exactly that. Ordered it with a 40MOA base, and its getting a Bartlein barrel up front, jewel trigger on bottom, and nesting in an XLR chassis.
    Order it now - they are three months out on delivery.

Basic Member
    Does anyone know if the PTG bolt heads for Lapua are the thicker version or are they standard 110 with an enlarged face????