Thread: First reloading mishap!

First reloading mishap!

Well I hate to admit it, but in the 30+ years I have been reloading this has never happened to me before. Stuck a case in a die. This is an old Pacific die set(in 223) that I bought used many years ago. I got the case out of the die, but in doing so I managed to mangle the expander ball that was still in the case and I seem to have lost the decapping pin as well.
    These are very well made dies that are in great shape, now. I hate to trash them just because I can't find parts. A new set of dies from Lee is less than $20 though, soooooooo.

Anyone no where I could find parts for these dies? Opinions?

Also, these will only be used to make fire form loads for a 223AI from once fired brass.

Thanks
    Gary

sab1
    GaryB:

Hornady bought Pacific Tool back in the early 70s. Give them a call and see if they have parts available.

Regards,
    Scott

Uncle Jack
    Check and see if RCBS parts may not interchange.

uj

I found these...
    http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/dies/die-parts/EBXXX

and these...
    http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/dies/die-parts/dp

I'm pretty sure they will fit an that's cheaper than a new set of dies.

Thanks for all the help!
    Gary

sab1
    Gary, did you call Hornady? Since my last post, I learned that the Pacific dies had a lifetime warranty, and Hornady honors it. It's worth a call, if you haven't done so...

Regards,
    Scott

Well I talked to Lori at Hornady today and the good news is they would sell me new dies, but the bad news is they have no parts for the Pacific dies. Hey, it was worth a try. I'm thinking I might just purchase a new set of dies and let it go at that.

Thanks for the help! It's much appreciated!
    Last edited by GaryB; 04-15-2013 at 08:37 PM.

I did the same thing a few yrs back. been reloading as long as you but this time?.... I got in a hurry and ran the case into the die without letting some of the carrier desolve. I knew right then and there what i just did when i did it....so, knowing full and well what was ahead of me in pulling it out of the case, I decided to stay calm. I placed the die in my tool box and decided to look at it later, that of which is inevidable. Ive been a Cert. Ford tech for 35yrs and theres always that......"Ill fix it later"
    In the mean time I order a new set of dies, I decided to go with a RCBS small base full lenght because I was having woes with one of my gas guns chambers..Im glad i did. I ended up using that small base die more than I had anticipated. I eventually pulled the case out of my lee die i too mangeled the sizer/decaper but i was able to order a new decaper for mine....

Maybe things happen for a reason a?

Basic Member
    I made a decapping pin from the factory trigger return spring from a Savage 110. Same diameter and tough spring steel. I ruined the decapping rod on a set of .22-250 dies and got the same story from Hornady service- no Pacific parts. I remembered that the rod a replacement with a titanium nitride expander (no neck lubing), which meant that my original rod was somewhere in the parts bin. I found it without a decapping pin and made one from the trigger wire I had replaced. At least I was up and running. Funny thing though, I remembered the extra rod about an hour after I ordered replacement dies.

Not a very good pic, but here is the new CH4D expander ball and decapping pin I ordered.
    $7.75 for the tapered expander ball, 4 pins and shipping. I thought that was a pretty good deal! Took about a week to get it.
    Works great!