Thread: Anyone have a Modified 223 Case?

Anyone have a Modified 223 Case?

I can't seem to find one anywhere at all. Wondering if someone has one I can borrow, rent, or buy? I am getting ready to start load development on my 11VT that I plan on using in some F T/R shoots. I have some Berger 70gr VLD's that I need to figure out COL with them. Thanks for the help.

Take a piece of fired brass and run it through a sizing die.

Use a dremel or hacksaw and cut a long slit across the neck, down most of the way to the shoulder.

Clean up any burrs on the brass.

You now have a poor man's COAL gauge. Insert bullet into slotted case, insert case into barrel, close bolt, slowly eject and measure. Pull the bullet out of the case with your fingers, repeat 4-5 times, and you should be able to use the average.

Perhaps not the "best" method, but it works...

Quote Originally Posted by shoalwater View Post
    I can't seem to find one anywhere at all. Wondering if someone has one I can borrow, rent, or buy? I am getting ready to start load development on my 11VT that I plan on using in some F T/R shoots. I have some Berger 70gr VLD's that I need to figure out COL with them. Thanks for the help.
    You can also just get a tap and make your own case. That's the route that I chose. If you are interested in trying it I could mail you the tap.

Hosted
    I'm not sure if you have a neck sizing die, but I use my collet sizing die to close the neck of a case enough to lightly grip the bullet. Then chamber it, carefully eject it, and measure using a Hornady comparator. When starting a new load I'll do this about 10 times. Not all of them will be the same, but usually 7 or 8 of them will be and it's worked great for me so far.

Basic Member
    I think the best suggestion is to buy the tap andmake your own.

Perhaps I should sell you my 223 and buy the tap. But I have already most of those I will ever need.
    When Stoney point had the prod they would make you one from your brass. Check w/ Hornady as they now own the product.

I use a small base full lenght sizing die. After the case is cleaned and resized, Ill ck and make sure I can chamber and unchamber the brass "easily"... Ill then press what ever projectile Im gonna run (different weight of bullets have diff. ogive locations) into the case about .030 deep. Ill place the measuring rd into the chamber and with a slight force, close the bolt. the projectiles ogive is gonna rest againt the rifling. Ill then open the bolt and lightly "tap" the bolt open with a wood mallet. The projectile binds just abit against the rifling but because the case mouth has been resized, its goona hold the projectile tight against the case mouth and wont wove. Ill then keep that unprimed rd and mark it with permante ink and label it for futher ref.
    I own a Stoney point deep gauge and did an A/B comparison with "the other" method and low and behold...same readings.
    Truth be known..if your not mechanically inclined?...then purchace the Stoney point.
    I use "the other" method because its faster.
    its basically what others have already suggested....6 of one...half dozen of the other...ololololo
    good luck

Basic Member

TC260
    Ill then press what ever projectile Im gonna run (different weight of bullets have diff. ogive locations) into the case about .030 deep. Ill place the measuring rd into the chamber and with a slight force, close the bolt. the projectiles ogive is gonna rest againt the rifling.
    This might be seen as splitting hairs but I'd call that the "max jam length" as opposed to the bullet being "at the lands". Depending on how much neck tension (seating force) you have, just touching the lands could be 0.010"-0.015" or more short of that.

Putterer
    Shoalwater, I have a new modified 223 Remington case that you are welcome to use or if you would prefer I will sell it to you the normal (no extra markup) price. I have no idea what these cases are selling for currently. This is a Stoney Point case from before they were purchased by Hornady and it has never been out of the plastic tube that it was shipped in. This is the last 223 Remington case that I have. I purchased these when the gun shop that I was working at went out of business several years ago. Please e-mail me at robertg1@chartermi.net and let me know what way you would like to go. Putterer

Putterer,
    I sent you an email.

Thanks,

Shoalwater

Putterer
    shoalwater, You are very welcome, it is in the mail. Enjoy!