Thread: Choate® Target/Sniper Stock for a Savage® 10PF LE/Series

Savage Fan

which Stock for a Savage® 10PF LE/Series?

here's my Savage® 10PF LE/Series Sniper/Hunter .308 as it's currently configured now; and I’m currently looking at a Choate® Ultimate Sniper Stock for the 10PF LE/Series

web link >>> Choate Ultimate Sniper Rifle Stock Savage 10 Series Short Action Staggered Feed with 4.275" Screw Spacing Blind Magazine 1.25" Barrel Channel Synthetic Olive Drab

Q: does anyone here have any experience with this brand® of rifle stock?
    Q: if so, was it just a drop-in fit/installation? ... any installation issues?
    Q; is this the correct model for my LE 10FP .308 ?
    Q: do they only come in OD Green and Black? I'd like to find (1) in FDE (Flat Dark Earth) color; but I'm not finding anything marketed in that color.

Savage Law Enforcement Series Model 10FP

Action: Short
    Caliber: 308 Win
    Overall Length: 44"
    Barrel Length: 24"
    Weight: 8.5 lbs
    Magazine Capacity: 4 rounds
    Stock: Black synthetic with positive checkering, dual pillar bedding
    Sights: Drilled and tapped for scope mounts
    Rifling Rate of Twist: 1:10

Features:
    AccuTrigger™ matte blued barreled action, heavy free-floating and button-rifled barrel with internal box magazine and swivel stud for bipod, oversized bolt handle

Modification / Upgrades:
    Scope: Tasco® 3-9x50mm Bucksight™
    Covers: Butler Creek™ Flip-Open
    Rings: Weaver™ Quad-Lock™ 1” High Matte
    Bi-Pod: Shooters Ridge™ Rock Mount® 9”-13”
    Monopod: Accu-Shot® (Locking Version) Precision Monopod

Last edited by Savage Fan; 04-09-2013 at 11:00 PM.

I have only seen Choate in Black and Olive. I have dealt with 4, and all of them have been drop in installation. As long as your rifle is a Staggerfeed 4.25 spacing then it should work great for you.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Savage Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    I have only seen Choate in Black and Olive.
    I was afraid of that … oh well, I guess it’s going to be O.D. Green then.

I have dealt with 4, and all of them have been drop in installation. As long as your rifle is a Stagger-feed 4.25 spacing then it should work great for you.
    roger that …

Q: will the Shooters Ridge 'Rock Mount' or Harris® ‘bi-pod’ equivalent(s), be an issue for use on this Choate stock?

Q: is there anything else I should take into consideration, before finalizing my decision to go forward with this brand of stock?

I am not sure what type of shooting you are wanting to do, but here is my thoughts. I personally don't care for the angled forend/rail on the sniper version. It just feels awkward and I don't care for the angle it can put on some pods. I had really good luck with an Ultimate Varmint, and the Tactical both from Choate. The ultimate Varmint is heavy and rock solid, especially with light recoil rounds. I had a 12FV 204 Ruger in one and it wouldn't even loose sight picture at all when fired. The Tactical is a bit more universal in that it can be fired off-hand a bit easier, but it was very solid like the Varmint. The Sniper was lighter, but the shape of the forend and the angled rail just seemed more difficult to use and any off hand use was uncomfortable (compared to the other two, off hand with any of them is not ideal).
    Those are JMHO's.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Savage Fan
    I am not sure what type of shooting you are wanting to do
    mostly bench or prone type shooting; from a sand-bagged type support; and from 100-500 yards, depending on what range I make it out to.

here is my thoughts. I personally don't care for the angled forend/rail on the sniper version. It just feels awkward and I don't care for the angle it can put on some pods.
    Roger that …

I had really good luck with an Ultimate Varmint, and the Tactical both from Choate.
    I’ll check them out too then … thanks.

The ultimate Varmint is heavy and rock solid, especially with light recoil rounds. I had a 12FV 204 Ruger in one and it wouldn't even loose sight picture at all when fired.
    my Dtech 25WSSM bull-barreled rifle performs the same way; as I can watch the Deer drop in the optic, after pulling on the trigger; but that maybe due to the integral compensator too?

The Tactical is a bit more universal in that it can be fired off-hand a bit easier, but it was very solid like the Varmint. The Sniper was lighter, but the shape of the forend and the angled rail just seemed more difficult to use and any off hand use was uncomfortable (compared to the other two, off hand with any of them is not ideal).
    Roger that …

Those are JMHO's.
    and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and knowledge with me … thanks again.

Last edited by Savage Fan; 04-08-2013 at 09:49 PM.

If you are planning on riding bags, i would definatly not get the Sniper. The other two with flatter bottom forends will ride bags much better. Good Luck.

Savage Fan
    well … after going back over to MidwayUSA and checking out the other (2) replacement stock options from Choate; the Ultimate Varmint is definitely out (that’s ugly as hell) so it looks like it’s a toss-up between the Choate ‘Tactical’ or the Choate ‘Ultimate’ and the Choate ‘Tactical’ is out of Stock; so it looks as if I’ll be on hold for awhile; but I do know this much for a fact ... that cheap’ish, ‘worthless’ factory stock has got to go! it’s hollow, flexible, and quite flimsy in its overall design

Basic Member
    Not long ago Eabco had the tactical for $199 and free shipping. You can also get this one available with inlet for factory dbm. I have two and really like them; got rid of the Ult Varmint to make room for the second one.

Savage Fan
    thanks for the info CharlieNC, but I'm liking the looks of this stock; it cost a bit more, but they're on Back-Order at MidwayUSA; does anyone have a lead on where I can find them 'In Stock' ?

sinman
    I have first hand experience with the Choate, I hated it with a passion. I put it on a rifle, tried shooting in about 30 different positions and spots and could not get comfortable with it. I have had many BC Medalist like you listed and I love them. I just finished a 700 build for myself with a B&C and I think it is perfect. To each their own but I would test fit one before you order it.

Savage Fan
    roger that SinMan, I'm sure the BC/Medalist will be my choice now; and I'm liking the 'Gray or Tan' Spiderweb patterns

Medalist would be a great choice.

I thought we were just discussing Choates, or I would suggested it as well. Anyway, yes go Medalist and enjoy.

smoooth
    I bought a Choate Tactical from EABCO about a month ago for my 116 small shank build - could not find a B&C Medalist Varmint/Tactical for my action. It is a decent stock for the money and very solid - great accuracy (.3's), NOT bedded. My biggest complaint is the lack of space between the trigger guard and grip - which I had read about before purchasing, but my options were limited. I have large hands and don't like the cramped quarters.

The vertical grip area is very large and has a storage compartment built in which is accessed by removing 2 rather small Phillips head screws and prying off the cover. This is not exactly ideal, who the hell carries jewelers screwdrivers with them on a regular basis,lol? I am VERY tempted to put this thing in the band saw or mill and cut back 3/4" - 1" into the compartment and rebuild it; that or build up a big palm swell. Shooting on the bench, the grip is not a problem, just when carrying or off-hand - again due to my big mitts.

Overall, I am very happy the stock - due to the fine accuracy, save for the above issue. It has a built in rail for a bi-pod as well. I should also mention the butt is hollow (more storage, lol) behind the adjustable-for-length butt pad. I did make a minor modification (drop down adj. butt pad) here as well, just for a nice personal fit.

If I had the option, I would probably go with the B&C, sounds like they have a much more spacious vertical grip area; weighs less, too.

Good shooting.

masterblaster
    Have the Ultimate Sniper and the Tactical, I prefer the Ultimate Sniper stock, yep its fugly but fits my hand and positions perfectly. Just picked up a Mccrees though, it will be badass as soon as I get my FP back from getting a MB installed. If I had a chance to do it over again I would just outfit all my guns with Mccrees, you should check out the Mccrees thread.
    Last edited by masterblaster; 04-13-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Savage Fan
    update: I got the Savage® 10FP LE/Series Sniper/Hunter .308 w/ Bell & Carlson® Medalist™ mated, now I'm going to mount the optics: it'll most likely be a Millett® TRS-1

dondlhmn
    I have a Savage .308 in a Choate Tactical stock. If I do my job and dope the wind right, it will put EVERY SHOT in the X ring at 600 yards, so I think it all works great. The only thing I have added is a Karsten adjustable cheek piece. I think I must have been the ergonomic model when they were designing the Choate stock because it fits me PERFECTLY. I painted my stock using paint from the DuraCoat people and a preval sprayer from my local Home Depot. Duracoat has all of their colors on their web site and they do have a lot of them....so whatever color rows your boat can be applied. The reason I used the DuraCoat was that I asked the owner of the Choate Machine company what they had found to be the best coating for their stocks and he sent me that direction.

If you decide to use that coating on a Choate stock, I will recommend that you use a sharp tool to be sure all of the little lines left on the stock from the parting lines of the mold are removed. If you don't do that and they are left standing proud EVEN A LITTLE BIT, they will by a pressure point where the stock contacts anything it is rested on and will cause the coating to wear of quite quickly. I used my blat cabinet with the recommended abrasives in it to clean/rough up the stock during the preparation phase. Also remember that havng the stock CLEAN is very important! Be sure you CLEAN it carefully and BE SURE that you do not touch it after it is cleaned and before it is coated, as you ahnds WILL leave a little "people grease" on whatever you touch. I will attach a picture (if I can figure out how to do it) of my rifle with the Choate Machine stock coated with DuraCoat's "Multibeige" color. I have yet to subject the stock and its coating to any real wear, so I can NOT address the subject of durability yet.