Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: savage barrel swich to marlin XL7 & XS7

PEI Rob

Re: savage barrel swich to marlin XL7 & XS7

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    If the depth of the bolt head on the Marlin is .140", that means the chamber is shorter than on a Savage barrel.
    So that would mean you can't properly headspace a Savage barrel on a Marlin unless you lathe some material off the chamber face. The Marlin bolt hood would hit the Savage barrel before it headspaced properly. The Savage can utilize more chamber ramp for better feeding.

Big thanks to Bruce, nice pics. The measurement of .140" depth, is that within .001" or .010" ?
    The Savage depth is approx .115" There is a slight dish shape from tumbling and I find the ones that measure deeper often have more dish, hence the deeper measurement. Say .115" - .117" normally.

bcp

First, an apology. A corrected photo has been posted.

Using a Starrett depth micrometer, I got new measurements.

To the nearest 0.001, my two Marlins are 0.130 deep. My Savage is 0.115 deep.

I need to retire my old dial caliper. When the depth micrometer is set at 0.130, the caliper measures it at 0.140.

Bruce

bcp

Safety on these barrel swaps is easy to check.

Before interchanging barrels, people need to measure cartridge protrusion from the chamber. That measurement must be greater than the bolt face depth.

Bruce

Smokepole

Are the extractors interchangeable? If so, it looks like the Marlin might be a little better. The claw is a little more curved.

Smokepole

Anything on the extractors?

bcp

I received a new Adams & Bennett Savage barrel finish chambered for 250 Savage.

Five new Remington 250 Savage cases protrude from the barrel 0.120(2), 0.121(2), and 0.122, measured with a depth micrometer. Savage bolt faces measure about 0.115 depth, which would allow several thousandths clearance between this barrel breech and a Savage bolt nose, when this barrel is screwed in until it is tight on a case or gauge. A GO gauge should be slightly longer than a case.

Headspace measurements I have for the 250 Savage are:

(GO 1.5792)
    (NO GO 1.5852) = GO + 0.006
    (FIELD 1.5892) = GO + 0.010

If this barrel is screwed in until it barely touches a Marlin XS7 bolt nose, there will be about 0.008 to 0.010 free space between the case and the XS7 bolt face, which is 0.130 deep. This makes the chamber between NO GO and FIELD size, not dangerous but not good for a new barrel installation.

Note that the barrel CANNOT be screwed in until it is tight on the new case, or tight on a GO gauge. The barrel will jam against the bolt nose first.

Bruce

PS Five new Winchester 243 cases protrude from the Marlin XS7 barrel 0.138(2), 0.139(1), 0.140(2).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12