Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think I hate my new 6.5 Creedmoor

Bunsen

Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    It sounds like we need to do borescope inspections of our new rifles now before we leave the FFL....
    Sad, but true in some instances.

I hate for my first post to have a negative connotation, but I have been struggling with a model 12 LRP in .260Rem that I purchased in November 2012. It has never been a great shooter, hovering around 1.25MOA with some odd flyers on longer strings once past rounds six or seven. Overall I REALLY like my Savage LRP, but something has always been nagging me that something isn’t quite correct with it. Fast forward 250 rounds later (including two precision tactical matches) and while cleaning it this past weekend I noticed that at the muzzle end one of the grooves was extremely fouled by copper (looked like it had been copper plated) while the rest exhibited virtually no copper fouling. I contacted my gunsmith and he asked me to stop by so we could investigate with a borescope.

Aside from a lot of tool marks and chattering throughout the barrel the biggest issue was that the chamber had been reamed off axis relative to the bore. Although I didn’t exactly understand all the technical terms my gunsmith was using, looking through the bore scope and performing a 360 rotation at the end of the throat it was self evident that something wasn’t correct. In my barrel not all of the lands and grooves ended/started at the same point in the barrel. Some stopped short of the throat while others extended to it or slightly beyond (free bore area?). Anyway in anticipation of returning the barrel to Savage we removed the barrel from the action. Unfortunately according to the Savage customer service representative I spoke with this morning, that action completely voided my warranty.

Alas all has not been lost as I was able to procure a Shilen replacement barrel from Jim at NSS (super nice guy to deal with)!! During our conversation Jim inquired why I was changing barrels. After informing him of the situation, he stated that this sadly was not the first time he has heard of this issue.

As for the factory tube my gunsmith is going to chop it ~2” then rechamber for a 6.5 Creedmore to use for F-class, or mid range applications. A rebarreling and a “someday” future project about 18months ahead of schedule. :D

So the moral of the story it does appear that Savage is having some QC issues.

Bunsen
    Just got the rifle back from my gunsmith with the new Shilen match grade barrel installed. Turns out it likes the same load as the previous barrel (41.8gr H4350 under a 140gr BTHP).

Shots 3-5 @100yds

Shots 6-8 @ 100yds

Shots 11-13 @ 300yds

It's a shame about the factory barrel, but at least there are other options available. Thanks to Shilen for directing me to Jim at NSS, and Jim for getting the new barrel shipped out so quickly.

Chopper
    First of all...I"m amazed at all the responses this thread provoked...and I'm grateful for all the advice. After about 150 rounds...
    I finally started getting some decent 5 shot groups. They were very encouraging. Unfortunately...you can shoot five rounds and make
    a bughole...but the next five might go 2/12 inches high and right. Obviously a scope problem I thought...but I changed out my Nikon Monarch for new, EGW rings and a high dollar Leupold Mark 4 and go the same results. Tonight I'm going to tear it all down and
    check the bedding...then the torque. If it doesn't shoot then...I'm dumping it. I've got too many guns that shoot all day long to need
    the extra aggravation.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunsen View Post
    Anyway in anticipation of returning the barrel to Savage we removed the barrel from the action. Unfortunately according to the Savage customer service representative I spoke with this morning, that action completely voided my warranty.
    I removed a barrel on a 223 i was having problems with but ending up re installing it and sending it to them. Don't think they knew the difference and they replaced the barrel.

Bunsen
    Quote Originally Posted by guhunter View Post
    I removed a barrel on a 223 i was having problems with but ending up re installing it and sending it to them. Don't think they knew the difference and they replaced the barrel.
    The CS rep had already asked for my serial number and had my contact info. I didn't see a way out of that. At this point I'm not concerned as the original barrel will be turned into a 6.5 creedmoor and mated to another Savage action. The Shilen barrel isn't coming off until it's shot out in a few years.

Basic Member
    I just picked up my new 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. This is not encouraging. I'll see how it shoots and look it over closely to see if there are any obvious problems. I have a case of Hornady 120 gr AMAX on the way.

Ken

mnhntr
    I shot sub 1/4in groups with my LRP in 260. Running 142gr SMKs and H4350

Basic Member
    TVP told my wife M12 6.5 creedmoor is very good , If you get a good one, and what time it was made,The one we have will put three 123 lapuas in same hole at 200 yds yes one hole. 142 smk same thing! I must have the first one made, or the best one. Ok im ready lets here it. I can here them fingers on the keys. Or mybe not its hard to tell on here somtime. Poeple get all .. You no. You need a $4000 B R Rifle to do that B.S. yes to shoot 10 in one hole, but not three !!!

Chopper
    Took the offending LRP back to the range today. The first three shots were incredibly far apart. I corrected and shot three sets of
    bug holes before it started changing point of impact drastically. The other thing that's happening is...even though I'm only shooting
    41.5 gr of H4350 behind 142 smk's...I'm blowing primer pockets. After 150 round down the pipe I've blown out 19 cases.
    I'm baffled.

Bunsen
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Took the offending LRP back to the range today. The first three shots were incredibly far apart. I corrected and shot three sets of
    bug holes before it started changing point of impact drastically. The other thing that's happening is...even though I'm only shooting
    41.5 gr of H4350 behind 142 smk's...I'm blowing primer pockets. After 150 round down the pipe I've blown out 19 cases.
    I'm baffled.

Based on this thread it sounds like you may have a bad barrel. Have you contacted Savage CS yet or had anybody check it with a borescope?

Basic Member
    So I took a better look at my new Sav 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor. There is a black ring on the bolt face (blown primers?) and the barrel was very dirty prior to me cleaning it.This is a new rifle, just picked up after shipping to my FFL. The only bolt faces I have seen with the ring marks were old surplus military rifles. I have a case of Hornady 120 AMAX I will try the rifle out with when I get my scope mount. The ring marks have me concerned I may have gotten a rifle that will have problems.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Captk View Post
    So I took a better look at my new Sav 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor. There is a black ring on the bolt face (blown primers?) and the barrel was very dirty prior to me cleaning it.This is a new rifle, just picked up after shipping to my FFL. The only bolt faces I have seen with the ring marks were old surplus military rifles. I have a case of Hornady 120 AMAX I will try the rifle out with when I get my scope mount. The ring marks have me concerned I may have gotten a rifle that will have problems.
    Ken
    Why are you looking for a problem before you have even shot the rifle? Just because Savage made a lemon with the OP's rifle which will happen from time to time doesn't mean your rifle is going to have problems. Ring marks are probably due to machining of the bolt that didn't get polished out. No big deal is won't affect the way your rifle will shoot, if it had a blown or pierced primer from test firing it, you might possibly get actual cuts in the metal from the escaping gasses. I don't know of a manufacturer out there that will send you a clean rifle brand new, when you are building several hundred rifles a day they don't take time to remove all the residue from production. I'm not bashing you on inspecting and cleaning a new rifle but the proof of a rifle is always how it prints down range.
    Last edited by taylorce1; 05-18-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
    Why are you looking for a problem before you have even shot the rifle? Just because Savage made a lemon with the OP's rifle which will happen from time to time doesn't mean your rifle is going to have problems. Ring marks are probably due to machining of the bolt that didn't get polished out. No big deal is won't affect the way your rifle will shot, if it had a blown or pierced primer from test firing it, you might possibly get actual cuts in the metal from the escaping gasses. I don't know of a manufacturer out there that will send you a clean rifle brand new, when you are building several hundred rifles a day they don't take time to remove all the residue from production. I'm not bashing you on inspecting and cleaning a new rifle but the proof of a rifle is always how it prints down range.
    Yes I agree, I'll need to fire it before I know if there is an issue or not. The ring on the bolt looks like carbon right where the primer would sit against the bolt face, a black ring on the bolt face. The metal is not cut. I don't expect a perfectly clean rifle after test firing, I also don't expect carbon rings on the bolt face. I'll clean it up and see what happens when I actually fire it.

Basic Member
    here in fl. you see lots of t shirts that say (shut up and fish) lol.
    blown primers tend to leave signs like pitts in the boltface around the firing pin.

Basic Member
    Got out to the range this morning with my Savage 12 LRP I shot this just before the weather changed to a steady rain, 10 rounds at 100 yds using Hornady 120 gr AMAX. The rifle is fine, I have some 140 gr AMAX on order along with dies to reload my own. I have 120 gr Sierra MK and 123 GR AMAX ready to go once dies arrive.
    I shot a total of 40 rounds, not bad first time out with the rifle. The rifle seems to be shrinking the group size the more I shot.

Ken

okie2
    [QUOTE=Captk;184306]Got out to the range this morning with my Savage 12 LRP I shot this just before the weather changed to a steady rain, 10 rounds at 100 yds using Hornady 120 gr AMAX. The rifle is fine, I have some 140 gr AMAX on order along with dies to reload my own. I have 120 gr Sierra MK and 123 GR AMAX ready to go once dies arrive.
    I shot a total of 40 rounds, not bad first time out with the rifle. The rifle seems to be shrinking the group size the more I shot.

Ken

You will love the 123 amax

stangfish
    2309 hits. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Captk View Post
    Got out to the range this morning with my Savage 12 LRP I shot this just before the weather changed to a steady rain, 10 rounds at 100 yds using Hornady 120 gr AMAX. The rifle is fine, I have some 140 gr AMAX on order along with dies to reload my own. I have 120 gr Sierra MK and 123 GR AMAX ready to go once dies arrive.

Ken

I don't mind saying, "I told you so!" Nice shootin!

Basic Member
    123gr. lapua scenar 44gr. H-4350 cci br-2 3'' at 800 yards 3030 m.v. dont no bout 142 smk any more have to tryum. dont c um doing any better ???

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdeyemedia.us View Post
    I use the Hornady gauges to measure seating depth om my savage and seat .004 off the groves. Barely fits into the magazine, but shoots Nozzler HPBT competitions great.

1. Could be scope, scope rings, scope mounts.
    2. Verify barrel is free floated and not hanging up somewhere.
    3. verify action screws are torqued (try 35 lbs).
    4. Try various factory loads to see what it likes and then build a reload based on that.
    You do realize you're replying to a comment posted April 2013, right?

The third eye sees all and is timeless. -;-)
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Try factory Hornday ammo first, then report back

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    You do realize you're replying to a comment posted April 2013, right?
    3rd eye had his own conversation on another old thread. Post count padding anyone? LOL, does not bother me. PS, have not shot my 6.5 enough to know if I like or hate mine.

Will be building on a 12fv action. Thinking of dropping in a chassis. Also need 6.5x24 scope to mount on it.

Actually think that was a spammer/phisher. Every thread he replied to had been dead for several years and he linked to his own site a few times which is nothing more than a click-bait site. Plus the fact that his username was his website URL raised a red flag as well.

So....I figure he's just a spammer and he and all his posts are gone now. We'll see if I get an email back asking why he was banned then go from there. That's the second one in a week.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

A forum mod can be a thankless and underappreciated job.
    Thanks Jim for all the behind scenes work you do to keep this forum great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12