Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
It sounds like we need to do borescope inspections of our new rifles now before we leave the FFL....
Sad, but true in some instances.

I hate for my first post to have a negative connotation, but I have been struggling with a model 12 LRP in .260Rem that I purchased in November 2012. It has never been a great shooter, hovering around 1.25MOA with some odd flyers on longer strings once past rounds six or seven. Overall I REALLY like my Savage LRP, but something has always been nagging me that something isn’t quite correct with it. Fast forward 250 rounds later (including two precision tactical matches) and while cleaning it this past weekend I noticed that at the muzzle end one of the grooves was extremely fouled by copper (looked like it had been copper plated) while the rest exhibited virtually no copper fouling. I contacted my gunsmith and he asked me to stop by so we could investigate with a borescope.

Aside from a lot of tool marks and chattering throughout the barrel the biggest issue was that the chamber had been reamed off axis relative to the bore. Although I didn’t exactly understand all the technical terms my gunsmith was using, looking through the bore scope and performing a 360 rotation at the end of the throat it was self evident that something wasn’t correct. In my barrel not all of the lands and grooves ended/started at the same point in the barrel. Some stopped short of the throat while others extended to it or slightly beyond (free bore area?). Anyway in anticipation of returning the barrel to Savage we removed the barrel from the action. Unfortunately according to the Savage customer service representative I spoke with this morning, that action completely voided my warranty.

Alas all has not been lost as I was able to procure a Shilen replacement barrel from Jim at NSS (super nice guy to deal with)!! During our conversation Jim inquired why I was changing barrels. After informing him of the situation, he stated that this sadly was not the first time he has heard of this issue.

As for the factory tube my gunsmith is going to chop it ~2” then rechamber for a 6.5 Creedmore to use for F-class, or mid range applications. A rebarreling and a “someday” future project about 18months ahead of schedule. :D

So the moral of the story it does appear that Savage is having some QC issues.