Thread: PTG bolt body questions

Basic Member

PTG bolt body questions

OK folks, looking at a PTG bolt body. Got a question on it.

Truing and timing involves recutting the cocking ramp on the bolt body because its cut by and end mil instead of being helically cut (as I under stand SSS's explanation). Anyone know if the cut on the PTG bolt bodies is any better?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scythefwd View Post
    OK folks, looking at a PTG bolt body. Got a question on it.

Truing and timing involves recutting the cocking ramp on the bolt body because its cut by and end mil instead of being helically cut (as I under stand SSS's explanation).

I believe Fred (SSS) was referring to the locking lug lead in ramps, not the cocking cam.

Another geometry problem is that the lead-in ramps and the primary extraction are not synchronized, but are actually in conflict with one another. When we true an action, it consists of much more than just machining a few mating surfaces. First the lead-in angles (the ramps that lead into the lug seats) are re-cut to a true helical cam. The factory cuts are made with an end-mill, and are not helical.]
    Bill

Basic Member
    Thanks for the correction. bolt will fall open or closed with the FP out of it.. so I dont think those angles are causing any real problems in this case..

As Bill noted, the end mill/helical cut info pertains to recutting the lug ramps in the action. However, to answer your question the PT&G bolt body has the same cocking ramp angle cut into it as the factory bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by scythefwd View Post
    Thanks for the correction. bolt will fall open or closed with the FP out of it.. so I dont think those angles are causing any real problems in this case..
    Think again. The ramp dictates how far back the firing pin is retracted/cocked, so naturally if you remove the firing pin assembly there's not going to be any resistance there. You're test method is severely flawed.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain