Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Magazine Conversion Round #234

Dr Honda

AR Magazine Conversion Round #234

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    ...... Why would anyone spend money on an inexpensive rifle? 1. Because they can. 2.The answer may be found in the after market industry of the Ruger 10/22. That model rifle certainly isn't an expensive rifle, and look what happened there. Granted, kind'a apples and oranges. Fact is.... initially someone took a chance.

I think the folks at Boyd's are good people, but they haven't convinced me with their reasons/excuses for not getting into an after market product (an OEM replacement) for the Axis.

Agreed.

Sure... if you start to price out all the "Aftermarket" parts to turn an Axis into an 11/111 you will be into it for more money for sure. BUT... (with the economy down) people can buy an inexpensive rifle, and upgrade easier, than throwing $600 at a gun shop, at one time for the "Better" rifles. Besides... how many $600 rifles do you see with upgrades?? Yup... lot's-O-them. So... if you plan on a barrel change, trigger work, and a new stock... it just makes sense to buy the $300 gun to start with.

FYI guys... I got my 223 Axis on Sunday. I'll see what can be done with an AR mag. (lol)
    Last edited by Dr Honda; 03-26-2013 at 10:04 AM.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
    I'll see what can be done with an AR mag. (lol)
    According to several others (more knowlegable than I am) on this forum AR magazines are a non-starter. AR Mags won't work in an Axis because of the differences in bolt design; apparently, it can't be set up so that the bolt picks up and feeds the rounds.

If you can make it work, you have a very real possibility of becoming rich.

Dr Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    According to several others (more knowlegable than I am) on this forum AR magazines are a non-starter. AR Mags won't work in an Axis because of the differences in bolt design; apparently, it can't be set up so that the bolt picks up and feeds the rounds.

If you can make it work, you have a very real possibility of becoming rich.

Yep... I've been reading over some of those posts. BUT... I've also read that the Mini-14 mag can be made to work. I know the catch is totally different... but I thought the ramp section was similar. But,I don't know either. (until I get a mag in my hands)

Regardless... My neighbor is in the Marines... and I should have an AR mag to play with by the end of the week. So... for the price of free... I'll give it a look over. If it's a no-go... I'll find a Mini 14.

But... a big mag, and a Boyd's stock would be SWEEEEET !!

Team Savage
    ar mags will not work
    it has been discussed & cussed here offten

drybean

If you google savage mag conversion you get a savage mod 10 with a mini 14 mag on it. You have to search it in google images. For some reason the web side doesn't work. I'm working on my 223 axis now. I put it in a boyds for a 110 I had lying around. What I'm looking at is a detachable mag kit for a howa that will be made to fit. I just have to order it. Its a single stack mag comes in 5 and 10 rounds.

Basic Member
    Never seen it in person, but this guy makes a kit
    https://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/as.../upload001.jpg

thomae
    jbjh: looks interesting, but it's only for a Remington 700. Not offered for a Savage.
    Reference: https://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/De...etal_p_26.html

Dr Honda
    I talked to my Marine buddy... and he still hasn't gotten me an AR mag. If he can't put his hands on one... I'll just go buy one this weekend. I know the local gun shop has them for about $20. I'll also pick up a Mini-14 mag... but that one may not be as easy.

For the guys who may know... Did the other people trying to use an AR mag say why it wouldn't work? I know it's not a center feed... but it should still pop the round out toward the center.

Bullitholz
    That is exactly the problem. The Axis bolt lug is going to jam up on the feed lips of the AR mag.

The main issue stems from three things:

1. the shape of the Savage bolt head
    2. the shape of the AR magazines feed lips

With that said, here's a few pics for you to look at and see if you can't figure out the problem yourself.

(Yes I know I'm using a magnum CRF bolt head, but the outside dimensions are the same and that's all that matters in this case.)
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Dr Honda
    WOW... THANKS !!!

As they say... a picture is worth 1000 words.

Now that I see it up close... the AR mag kind of "hides" the rounds down inside. As I recall... the Mini 14 mag holds them up a little more. (the rounds are more exposed)

Then again... if you use a plastic AR mag... and position it perfect... it may work. But... I think that may get too touchy. I'll see if I can locate a Mini-14 mag.

Thanks again.

Exactly! The edge of the bolt head will just catch the top round on an AR mag, but there's enough deflection built into the Savage (slop in raceway, slop in magazine retension, and the angular deflection of the floating bolt head) that it will skip over the round rather than peal it out of the mag. The bolt head will catch a little more of the round with an aluminum magazine, but the end result is still the same so it's a mute point.

I know a few have done the Mini-14 conversion on the old staggered feed Savages, but it's a lot of work and can still be buggy. I personally still fail to see any reason why someone would need a high capacity magazine in a bolt gun though. It's a silly trend started by the tacti-fool crowd that has no real purpose or benefit, yet for some reason they've managed to convince everyone on the internet that they need a high-cap for their bolt gun.

I'm still waiting for Badger, LaRue, or Troy Industries going to come out with some tactical black condoms err....barrel protectors.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    I personally still fail to see any reason why someone would need a high capacity magazine in a bolt gun though. It's a silly trend started by the tacti-fool crowd that has no real purpose or benefit, yet for some reason they've managed to convince everyone on the internet that they need a high-cap for their bolt gun.
    my thoughts exactly!

Mossberg came out with a bolt rifle that uses ar15 magazines. The only time I think it would be nice to have this style of rifle is for varmint hunting; but if you plan on using a 30rd mag good luck setting that thing on a rest without resting the mag on the table. I primarily use 10 and 20 round magazines for my ar15, I can put it on a rest and I don't seem to waste as much ammo!

I would prefer to sharpen my skills so I won't need more than one shot...

Dr Honda
    .......I personally still fail to see any reason why someone would need a high capacity magazine in a bolt gun though. ...........
    I have a tendency of agreeing with that. And... where I'm at... when hunting... you can only have 3 rds in the gun. But, it's nice to have options, and to say... "look what I did" (lol)

Yeah, a lot of people get that "look what I did" mind set. It's kind of like putting a shiny new 426 Hemi into an AMC Gremlin...you get a sense of accomplishment once it's done and you have a little fun with it the first few times you drive it, but after that you just look at it and wonder "WTF was I thinking putting a $20,000 engine into a $800 car that's by far the ugliest thing that ever rolled out of Detroit?"

Basic Member
    I'm still waiting for Badger, LaRue, or Troy Industries going to come out with some tactical black condoms err....barrel protectors.
    Why wait?
    NRA Life Member

17. 04-08-2013, 06:46 PM
    Reason
    My post was off topic and just a bit goofy.

Predator53
    Ahaahaa.....but it would be sweet to have a bigger mag hanging off the axis....

1ShotKing
    Check this thread out from sniper's hide.
    http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers...-magazine.html
    Maybe there is hope.

1ShotKing

Dr Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotKing View Post
    Check this thread out from sniper's hide.
    http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers...-magazine.html
    Maybe there is hope.

1ShotKing

That one is old news. It's a composite of an M1A, for the mid sized cartridges.

OK... tonight was a good night. My Marine buddy gave me an "AR" style mag, and an M16 mag. Neither are going to work.

BUT... my other buddy gave me a Mini-14 mag... and it will feed without an issue. Also... it hits 3 points on the action. The front flat, and the 2 side edges, in front of the feed lips. But the best part is... since it's significantly smaller than the OEM mag... I think I can make an adapter. That way, the Mini-14 mag will work, without mod'ing the stock rifle.

Should make for a fun project.
    Last edited by Dr Honda; 04-08-2013 at 10:07 PM.

A mini-14 mag will limit you to .223 sized cartridges. And I guess a 7.62 for the mini-30.
    Will something a little more prolific to the bolt-gun world work? As in an Accuracy International mag, and it's clones?

I'm not worried about the bottom metal/plastic at this point, I'm more concerned if the Axis bolt will feed/ride an AI mag properly.

Basic Member
    There are also Mini-14's in 6.8 SPC ... has me thinking that a such a mag could be made to slip through the Axis style DBM base-plate in a similar manner to the "Ratmags" on the sniper's hide site mentioned above. I wonder what he was having such difficulties with the 223 version he was working on and why he didn't go the Mini-14 mag route as his building block.
    NRA Life Member

6.8SPC is still a .223 derivative, so for me, a .243 user, that magazine is not viable.

We're hooked in the catch22 of making a magazine work in the stock, if you replace the mag, you replace the stock.

I'm looking to pull the Axis action out of the stock stock, and build a replacement stock, with some sort of DBM.
    I'm confident about the first and second, the third goal is what I'm trying to narrow down.

Basic Member
    Close ... the 6.8 is not a 223 derivative, but is designed to fit in an AR-15/M16/M4 magwell. The 243 is a 308 derivative so you would need to look at mags made for the AR-10, G3, or FAL to see if one would be suitable.
    NRA Life Member

Dr Honda
    Well.....

For me... it's for a 223 rifle... that's why I was looking at a mini-14 mag.

For the larger rifles... a mini-30 mag may work. But, I don't know, since I've never seen one up close. Honestly... the best thing to do, is to make a new "Extended floor" like in the link above. Unless someone else has an idea of an easy to get high cap mag.

The AR style would have been great since they are easy to get. BUT... as in the pics on the other page... the rounds just aren't exposed enough.

On those lines... how many Axis mags are there?? 3 ~ 4? (223, 308 type, AND 30-06 type is what I'm thinking)

****EDIT****

Disregard the Mini-30 comment above. I thought they were in 7.62 NATO. I now discovered it's 7.62x39.
    Last edited by Dr Honda; 04-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Dr Honda
    Just an FYI guys...

I'm going to put this project on the back burner since all high cap Mags are hard to get right now. AND... I'm going to focus on the aluminum chassis project that Cheapshot has been talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast