Thread: McRee G5 TMAG #2

grywlf52

McRee G5 TMAG #2

Good Morning all,

I am looking at the McRee G5 as the title states. I have a Savage 110 long action with .308 and 30-06 barrels. Currently McRee does not have a stock for the 5.062 screw length. They only make them for the 4.275 and 4.40.
    I have emailed them back and forth a few times but they are busy and behind. That and I am not sure I am conveying what I want/expect with one done for the long action.

I want the chasis to have the screw spacing for the 5.062" action and setup for the standard short action .308 McRee/AI mags.

Would the placement of the barrel lug prevent me from getting a 4.275 or 4.40 chasis and having a smith drill a hole for the 5.062 front screw? Or do I wait for McRee to figure it out and put one into production? Or do I get a shorter reciever whether buy or traade out the LA?

Thanks

Have you looked at other chassis systems such as XLR or PDC? I like McRee stocks a lot, but I do think I've seen at least one long-action XLR-stocked rifle floating around (on a 110FCP).

grywlf52
    Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
    Have you looked at other chassis systems such as XLR or PDC? I like McRee stocks a lot, but I do think I've seen at least one long-action XLR-stocked rifle floating around (on a 110FCP).
    I did not see those before. I looked them up this morning. The PDC doesn't cover a LA, just the shorties. The XLR would do it but is also about $250 more when adding the $115 folder option. The McRee (at least for SA) are $660 right now.

I may just have to suck it up and go with the CDI bottom metal and different stock or get a short action.

I want a det. mag, a stock with some weight, and compact. I tried a BC stock on my .308 with my 175 gr loads and it was just too brutal shooting all day. The Choate at 6 lbs has that benefit but man is it just plain ugly.

Thanks for the leads though. My search fu was not strong enough to find those.

Basic Member
    Probably easier to get a SA. There are no AI mags setup for the 308/30-06 round. You would have to take an existing round and tweak the magazine.

grywlf52
    Quote Originally Posted by capreppy View Post
    Probably easier to get a SA. There are no AI mags setup for the 308/30-06 round. You would have to take an existing round and tweak the magazine.
    I can live without shooting -06 out of a mag. I could single feed that if the barrel ever went back on it. Then again it is a standard profile hunting barrel so I would just put that on the other reciever with the BC stock.

I hear what you are saying though. Guess I need to search for a SA. Now what one is better, 4.400 or the 4.275 as far as aftermarket parts? Or does it really not matter?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grywlf52 View Post
    I can live without shooting -06 out of a mag. I could single feed that if the barrel ever went back on it. Then again it is a standard profile hunting barrel so I would just put that on the other reciever with the BC stock.

I hear what you are saying though. Guess I need to search for a SA. Now what one is better, 4.400 or the 4.275 as far as aftermarket parts? Or does it really not matter?
    If you go with chassis none. If you go with a traditional stock, most of the times it doesn't matter. There are some stocks only available on the older 4.27 and vice versa.

For other accessories, does not make a difference.

With that being said, if you're not going to rebarrel and going to stick with a sporter profile, I might suggest staying away from a forend style chassis. A sporter profile barrel in a handguard forend just doesn't look right.

edit: well that is personal preference, but that is my preference :)

grywlf52
    I guess this is my inability to properly convey my thoughts.
    My current setup is a 110 LA, .308 with a heavy ER Shaw barrel in a Choate USS, with a Ken Farrel 20 MOA rail, SWFA SS 5-20MRAD and Rifle basix trigger. I want to ditch the USS and get a stock/chassis with a det. mag. This is for a long range setup and needs weight so as not to punish me all day with 175gr loads.

I have another 110 LA that can wear any of the other three barrels (.223, 6.8SPCII and 30-06) that I have with either the BC or factory walnut stock. All of which are mainly for hunting anyway.

Ultimately I guess, I need to build the .308 from the barrel up with a SA and one of the three chassis. Can you recommend a place to look for a SA action?

Basic Member
    Give Jim @ NSS a call. He still has a few SA available. It'll be a new action and will be the quickest way to get an action to move your 308 barrel to.

masterblaster
    Call Mcrees after 12 oclock midwest time, I have talked with them 3 times in the past two weeks, they make some stocks for 50 bmg from what I understand, I ordered the floding stock in OD green.

grywlf52
    Model 11 CF order from Jim at NSS, G5 ordered from McRee for 4.40" along with stock pad and 2-10rnd mags. Now trying to get ahold of Farrell to get the correct 20 MOA base for this action.

masterblaster
    Who is Farrel? I am going through the same thing, have a new 111 300 wm, was thinking about a Mcrees, have one for my Rem 10 FP but didn't realize they didn't make a long action. I will call after 12 tomorrow, If they cant do I will go with the Choate Tactical with CDI bottom metal, have one of these to for my Rem 700 308 and it is nice.

grywlf52
    Ken Farrell, they do mounts and rings.

Once the parts come in, I am going to have to list some things up for sale.

grywlf52

Time to get to work and swapping stuff out.

That and decide how I want to paint her up after I get it all fitted together.

ODA 0121
    I've spent time behind both the McRee and the XLR and like the XLR much better. It's a few dollars more but well worth it.

QuarterHorse
    Quote Originally Posted by ODA 0121 View Post
    I've spent time behind both the McRee and the XLR and like the XLR much better. It's a few dollars more but well worth it.
    I know this is somewhat of an old thread, but can you elaborate? Thank you

Basic Member
    That is a wild looking stock. Are you going to keep it raw aluminum or have it coated? And more important how does it shoot?

grywlf52
    Moe reminded me of this thread.
    After having it together for awhile and getting it adjusted to where I want, it is great. I love this stock. I finally got it painted.

Prep was a full rifle wipe down with rubbing alcohol. Then I taped off the scope and places I didn't want any paint. I just used Krylon Camoflage series. (Hind sight, I should have spent the extra for the duracoat at $75, It still would have gotten a paint job over it for the full rifle.) Tip for painting, use multiple coats of the same color before throwing the second/third color on.

Taped off and sage over the olive green.

A few sprays of brown. Now to let it dry before I take the tape off.

It was a PITA removing the tape

Not the greatest but hey, it's Krylon, either sand blast or give it extra coats.

That came out nice; I am getting ready to degrease and paint mine.......should have spent the extra for cerakote myself. $20.00 worth of Rustoleuom you betcha!
    300WSM 26" 1:10 Med. Hvy. Varmit McRee Precision