Thread: Question about my Savage 116

Brent

Question about my Savage 116

I have the cabela's package model 116 in 6.5-284. It is the ss model with the 24" fluted varmint barrel. The rifle has about 250 rounds through it so far.

I am thinking ahead and considering my next barrel for this rifle. However, I am wondering what a realistic life expectancy is for this savage. Since it is a hunter, no multiple shot strings, and not pushing pressure limits such as sticky bolts etc I am wondering how much of a hurry I should be in?

Also, with this many rounds through it is too late, or even worth it on a stock barrel, to melonite?

On the new barrel note, I am thinking about a proof research barrel? Has anyone matched a PR to a Savage action or I am putting a corvette engine in a VW bug? My opinion is that the stock, trigger, and action are good enough, but I am asking as I don't want to waist $1200 on a barrel that won't match up well.

Usually I change the barrel and trigger, bed the stock, and I am ready to go. They are just as accurate as my match rifles.

Dennis

800 to 1,000 rounds is usually the life of the barrel.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Brent
    When you bed the accustock do you do anything special to the aluminum rail or just using bedding compound in the action area starting at the lug and going back to the trigger?

What trigger do you use? I don't have any real complaints about this accutrigger, although my 110 predator has a lower break over weight.

I would agree with Dennis,your barrel should go 800-1000 rounds and it should be toast.I have had really good experience with Mc gowen and they shoot better than some other higher end barrels if you want to say that.If you get a new barrel now,you will avoid price increases and wait time.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Sorry, I have never bedded an Accu-Stock. I also use the Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]