Thread: LRP 6.5 CM First Impressions.

RRWC

LRP 6.5 CM First Impressions.

Shot my first Savage rifle, LRP in 6.5 CM. What results are guys getting with Hornady Match 120 and 140 gr AMAX.
    On my rifle the bolt seems very rough and when chambering a round there is resistance just prior to chambering a round completely. After ejecting the brass there is a small nick in the brass at the base of the shoulder in the same spot on each case. I only fired 3 rd groups and averaged around 1 moa at 100m. There was a few groups with 2 tight rds and then a flyer making a 3 rd group 1.75 to 2 moa at 100m, which is not remotely acceptable as far as I am concerned for this rifle and the crappiest ammo let alone match grade.
    I was expecting much better as Savages apparently have a reputation for accuracy compared to more expensive rifles. I also have an Accuracy International AE MKII, Sako TRG22 and a custom Rem, all in .308. There is an obvious difference in quality but really don't care if the rifle shoots.
    I don't know if it's the ammo, rifle etc. I checked everything,all screws etc including the scope which is a NF NXS 5.5-22X56. I took the scope off, put it back on my AI, rezeroed and shot a 5 rd group in the low .3's using Federal Gold Medal in 168 gr so I don't believe the scope is at issue either. I have been shooting for 37 years and honestly don't think its me. I am planning to change the stock and try a different lot of ammo and eventually reload.for it. That is one one of the reasons for going with the CM due to the availability of match ammo. I do reload for my .308 and would have just got a ,260 Rem if I was going to reload from the start. I am not going to send the rifle back, if there us an issue with the rifle, it should have not have left the factory imo. I will get a new barrel before I will send it back just out of principle.

Any suggestions, my friend who also is an accomplished shooter tried the rifle and also got the same results. Did I expect too much from this rifle?
    Last edited by RRWC; 03-29-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Savage13
    Hate to bring up an old post but here is my results with my lrp in 6.5 CM. I know ALOT of others are getting similar results.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-its-laminated

RRWC
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage13 View Post
    Hate to bring up an old post but here is my results with my lrp in 6.5 CM. I know ALOT of others are getting similar results.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-its-laminated
    Savage13

I was expecting more along that line. In the hit or miss category I think I got the miss. Can anyone advise what torque they are using for the action screws with the HS stock on the LRP. Savage says 35 in lbs and HS says 65 in lbs. I tried both and were equally pathetic. Seems like an opinion on barrel break in, ask 5 guys and get 7 opinions.
    Last edited by RRWC; 03-29-2013 at 12:25 PM.

RRWC
    I am not going to shoot this rifle again until I try another stock. Both 120's and 140's shoot like crap so I don't thinks its a particulat lot of ammo. I am wondering if the chamber is pooched due to the resistance in chambering at the exact loc everytime and the fact that it is nicking the brass in the same loc every time.

I torque all mine to 25 in lbs and they all seem to shoot great right there. I am a beliver in break in and I am also a beliver in developing my own load for the rifle. I have never gotten great results with factory ammo, ever. I know there are some rifle that love the stuff like savage13s but I have never been so lucky. Give it a good deep cleaning and give it another try and see if it improves any.

tipper999
    Well if you believe the chamber is not right, replacing the stock will not fix it. Savage will fix it if it's wrong, send it to them they will test fire it an send it back with target.

RRWC
    Thats what bothers me, whatever happened to quality control, if it is the chamber or anything else for that matter it should not have left the factory. I understand **** happens but its frustrating and how long will you be waiting, and who pays for it.

ellobo
    If all brass has that nick in the same place there is something wrong with the chamber. It may or may not be the problem but it isnt right and should be sent back to Savage for a checkup. Expecting great results form factory ammo wont work. Some Savage rifles will not shoot well until the barrels have a lot of rounds through them. Others shoot MOA out of the box. Many Savage shooters do not clean and de-copper until accuracy drops off. It has a lot to do with the fact the barrels are button brouched rifled and the bores look like railroad tracks that need to be smoothed out. You may want to run a patch of copper remover through the bore to see if they come out heavy blue. But, first things first, send it back with one of the cartridges with the nick in it.

El Lobo

masterblaster
    Send it back, their CS is outstanding, they back up their product. You will have bad dreams about it if you don't. Had this experience with a 308 and getting it fixed right now, if I didn't have other Savage rifles that were tack drivers out of the box I would have been pissed and not bought Savage again, but fortunately this is not the case.
    Last edited by masterblaster; 03-29-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Orange_Crush
    Savage's turn around time time is pretty good - about two weeks for my model 25.

Basic Member
    you got a bad one . Thats all. My 6.5 LRP shoots 107 smk 123 scenars 140 A MAx all good . Shoots 142 smk. in one at 200 yds

Basic Member
    I'm shooting just over one inch groups at 300 yds with the 140 amax.

Had the same problem with my 243 LRP. Was very disappointed but Savage took it back on their dime,twice, and picked it up and delivered back to my door.Don't know what they did but shoots better now.Looking at rifling from muzzle end it looks like threaded rod and there is copper I can't get out but it shoots great.Give 'em a call,they'll fix it. Believe me,it is frustrating,but they'll work with you.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?