Thread: What is the maximum muzzle velocity

hswaters

What is the maximum muzzle velocity

I have been shooting mostly subsonic in my MKII. Still I would like to experiment with a variety of ammo, providing I can ever find any. I was wondering about really hot ammo like the Aquila hyper velocity. I think it is somewhat over 1700 fps at the muzzle. I have talked to some who shoot fancier rifles like Martini and Anschutz and they are afraid to shoot this ammo in their guns for fear it may damage them. I figure if this ammo would damage the average bolt action rifle then Aquila would be afraid to manufacture it. I know some semi autos warn against using hot ammo but I have not seen any similar warning about the Savage MKII. I looked at the manufacturers website and do not see any easy way to ask them this question so I am asking you folks what you have shot and what were the results. Did it seem to be easier or harder to shoot a small group at 100 yards? Did it damage your rifle?

I have 1000s of rounds of CCI stingers, through my Mark II BTVS, and those exit the muzzle at over 1600 FPS, with no sign of giving up the ghost.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

hswaters
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I have 1000s of rounds of CCI stingers, through my Mark II BTVS, and those exit the muzzle at over 1600 FPS, with no sign of giving up the ghost.

Tanks Dean
    Thanks scope eye. I have been reading the reviews of folks who used the Aquila hyper velocity and they seem to be more negative than anything. From the reviews I have read it looks like the stuff is probably not consistent from one round to the next. I still am probably going to get a box and see for myself. By the way just what sort of accuracy are you getting with the stingers?

I never really target shoot with my 22, but it gets the job done on grey squirrels at 75 yard's, velociters are also excellent for the same task.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hswaters View Post
    Did it damage your rifle?
    No but it's horribly inaccurate at 100 yards or more.