Thread: model 93 magazines

Basic Member

model 93 magazines

OK, got a question to ask reference the model 93 magazines. I have recently purchased a thumbhole 93 .22mag. with only a 5 round mag. So I thought, better buy more so I can shoot a lot of whatevers. I purchased 12 more 10 rd magazine all S/S type. Now I took it out to shoot and was disappointed with the magazines performance with the feeding of rds. Next I took the mag's. home and was looking at what might be wrong. First I read every article I could find in the savage shooters rim fire secdtion. Then I took out all the magazines and after a couple of minutes I discovered that 10 of the mag's had a long slot on the magazine to show how many round were in thr mag. The other 2 has a stamped hole showing what looks like a .17 cal. HMR looking bullett for a view slot. This HMR mag. gave me trouble loading and extracting rounds while the others worked fine. SO here it is, these 17 looking mags. will not work in a .22 mag. rifle that well. My luck was I was probably trying to shoot with the 2 HMR mags. Now I have (as stated in Dirty Harry) GOTS TO KNOW.

JCalhoun
    It may not be that simple. The Savage rimfire mags have always had a tendency to misfeed. Since they are stamped sheetmetal they sometimes need to be tweaked a bit with needle nose pliers. Try tweaking them before signing off on them.

Fedor42
    As you do that man? have photos of how it's done, please.

Fedor42
    I need photos for tweak my magazines...

JCalhoun
    I don't have any.

I have only bought and used Savage factory 5 round magazines in my Model 93 and have never had a problem.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America

bflee
    I have 3-10 round mags and the original 5 rounder and all feed like a dream.