Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather Sleeping bag

Cold weather Sleeping bag

I live in Idaho but this site is probably the best out there for asking questions about extreme outdoor activity. I spend a lot of time in the field during hunting season and am also a (new, inexperienced) assistant scoutmaster for my son's troop so I really need to start getting some better gear. I'm tired of being uncomfortable. I am a side sleeper and tend to sleep cold (especially my feet). I need to find a good sleeping bag that doesn't make me go into a claustrophobic fit while I'm sleeping. I will be tent camping during every month of the year here in Idaho so I think a zero rated bag might be in my best interest. Weight is also somewhat of an issue because I may pack in 3-5 miles while covering 1000 feet or so in elevation. This is the only bag I can find that looks like it may fit my needs well http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...DARGS=/cabelas but I would like to see other options to consider. A mummy bag is absolutely out of the question. Does anyone have an opinion on the bag I linked to above? Any similar bags that I should look at? Thanks.
    >338-06, Buris dvtails, Sig. rings, Buris FF2 3-9x40 >270 EGW base, Buris Sig. Zees, Buris FF2, >223, Nikon Bmster 4.5-14x40 SF, Dnz mount, SSS triger

Re: Cold weather Sleeping bag

You looking for one that works every month of the year or just a cold weather one? If you are going to be out in the Summer and Winter - you need two bags or you will be uncomfortable both seasons.

Paid Member

1st question. how tall are you ??
    What temp range ??

I really just need a bag for late October through mid May time-frame. I would guess that the range of temps at night under my camping circumstances would be from 10-40 degrees F with the potential for an occasional zero degree night. I have the warmer weather covered by the cheaper Coleman bags that I have accumulated over the years. I'm 5'8" tall.
    >338-06, Buris dvtails, Sig. rings, Buris FF2 3-9x40 >270 EGW base, Buris Sig. Zees, Buris FF2, >223, Nikon Bmster 4.5-14x40 SF, Dnz mount, SSS triger

44magyota

sportsmans guide has a very very nice military surplus new 4 season setup. has 2 bags and a bivy cover. rated to -30 when all combined. price i payed is $230. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=500829 your in luck the price dropped nearly $100 since i got mine.

All my hunts are flycamping or the very occasional backcountry hut (think very basic shelters) and imho macpac make some of the best sleeping bags anywhere ... www.macpac.co.nz ... the exchange rate is great at the moment so a bag that'd cost us $700NZD would be $350USD.

The best thing I did was change from a closed cell foam mat to a down filled air mattress, it makes a huuuuuge difference to the warmth of the bag and it's the comfiest nights sleep I have had in the scrub. I use an "exped downmat 7".
    It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

cpc1027

I know that you said no mummy bags but they really are the warmest way to go. I've been on numerous backpacking trips with my scout troop, so I know all about the gear weight issues. My dad has the same claustrophobia issue that you do with the mummy bags so I suggested that he look at one of these:

http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_..._hugger_2.html

That is the best site that I could find that shows the idea behind the bag. It stretches so that it is not as confining as a regular mummy bag. As far as weight, warmer bags are heavier due to the extra insulation, but I have carried them on trips where we were 13 miles and 3500 feet per day of elevation change without too much trouble. Also, look into a thicker sleeping pad to get you further off of the ground.

If you are determined not to get a mummy bag, make sure that the seams do not go all the way through or you loose heat through them. The bag is divided into baffles of insulation so that it does not move around and you need to make sure that the baffles overlap in some way so that the seams can not allow heat out. You can also get flannel or silk sleeping bag liners and they will add 5-15 degrees of warmth to your sleeping bag.

No matter what you get, down insulation is warmest and lightest, but useless when wet and takes forever to dry. Synthetic insulation works when wet but is heavier then down and not as warm, so consider that in your choice.

Thats about all that I can think of as far as sleeping bags. Good luck with your scout troop...I was in scouts for 8 years and cub scouts before that. I am registered an an assistant scoutmaster with my troop and I help out when I'm home from college for the summers and hope to take a more active role after I graduate next year.

iowaboy

Check out Big Agnes they are located in Steamboat Springs CO. They make some great gear, I have a tent and pad from them. They make there sleeping bags with no insulation in the bottom just a sleeve that there insulated air pad fits in. That way your not wasting insulation in the bottom because when you compress insulation by laying on it, you loose almost all the insulating factor. If your not into mummy bags take a look at there rectangular bags, like the Mistic SL 0degrees and only 2.5 lbs. Add a BA IAC pad and you'll be set for some good sleeping.

I'm a side sleeper also and use one of there IAC pads and absolutley love it. Only take about 12-15 lungs full of air to blow up and your ready for great sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by 44magyota
    sportsmans guide has a very very nice military surplus new 4 season setup. has 2 bags and a bivy cover. rated to -30 when all combined. price i payed is $230. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=500829 your in luck the price dropped nearly $100 since i got mine.

+1 BIGTIME! The real best part about a GI sleeping bag system is that you will have both a summer & winter weight bag, and if things get really bag combine the two and you have bag that keeps you warm in even lower temps. The gortex shell is a great thing to have along too. You can use it to keep you or your gear dry & happy.

The first thing I did when I got home from overseas is buy one of the GI sleeping bag systems because they flat out work and they can be packed easily.

44magyota

The nice thing about the GI sleeping bag also is its not confined, there is room to move around a bit. its like a rather wide mummy bag. My only problem is im too tall....i stick out of the top of the bag a tad if i don't scrunch up a bit.

shooter1

Go with a Wiggy's bag, I live in Alaska, have used these in mild temps down to -52 below for 4 to 5 days at a time. I personally will never own another bag. Check them out.

Lynn
    in AK

Quote Originally Posted by 44magyota
    That's just the bivy cover. Not the whole system.

Here's the whole thing.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=333009
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

This is kind of an old thread but since it has been resurrected, I'll add an update. I decided to go with the Cabela's Boundary Waters bag. It should be here in time for the January camp out and the Feb klondike so I'll det to run it through the ringer for the first time during the coldest part of the year.

Rob454

I have a old bag made by coleman its called a vortex. ive been out hunting sleeping in the back of my truck and that thing keeps me toasty warm. And I mean not just cold but snowing outside frost on the windows cold and I sometimes have to unzip it to cool off.
    BESZT sleeping bag Iever had. Nice thing it was free. My wifes mom was gonna throw it out.

Just got back from the campout. We camped at a local campground owned by Idaho power. It was right below C.J. Strike Dam. One of the employees stopped by to talk with us and invited the troop in for a tour of the plant and while we were inside, he showed us one of the systems that had a weather station in it. Supposedly it only got down to about 30 degrees where we were but it felt much colder to me. I'm not crazy about crawling into an icy nylon lined bag so I put a fleece bag liner in and slept in the fleece. I was very comfortable on Friday night but last night my feet got a little cool. I think it's because my tent is tiny and mt feet were pressed against the tent wall which reduced the loft of the down in that area, allowing my feet to become cold. Other than that, I was way more comfortable than I have ever been on a cold campout. I think that because I sleep so cold, I would only rate this bag as a +20 for MY purposes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast