Thread: Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50

NRV

Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50

I've been looking at this scope, and was wondering a few things about it. First, how clear is the glass, especially at high magnification? How would it compare to a Leupold VX-III or Sightron SII? My other big question is in regards to the target turrets. Are movements repeatable? Has anyone done a box test with it or anything like that?

I know that there's no free lunch, so I'm not expecting a Black Diamond, I just wanted some firsthand experience.

Thanks,
    Michael

Re: Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50

If you go to optic talk you will find a review. General thoughts on this scope are very good, good glass, repeatability, overall durability,good customer service, for the price I would gather it is a pretty nice scope but I don't own one so I have to go by what I have read.
    www.swfa.com has them at a very good price. It almost makes me think it may be a close out.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

82boy

I have this scope and have done the test you are looking for. At SSS Fred has a bi pod up where he can mount 3 scopes side by side by side. (This is truly the best way to compare one scope to another.) I have seen the Crossfire, compared to the Vortex Viper, Bosh and Lomb, (An older) Leopold, ad a few other scope makers. All the scope was placed on the same power. What we discovered was it was very difficult to tell the difference between the Crossfire, and the Viper, both was super clean. We found that the eye relief was more critical on the Leupold. Looking off into the distance we found that the Vortex scopes was clearer, and had better light gathering ability's (As the sun set) than that of the other scopes. (Ultimately the Viper had the best light gathering) I have never compared it to a Sightron. I have replaced my Weaver T36 on my long range gun for the Vortex Crossfire 8-32. I found that the Vortex is much clearer than the weaver. For example, I have shot steel targets at 600 yards with both. What I found was with the Weaver is I could see the shot hit the plate and make a black mark. With the Vortex I could see the shot hit the target and make a black mark, (Same as the Weaver) but I could see the bullet splatter shooting out both right and left of the mark as the round hit the target. (This I could not see in the Weaver.)

On tracking I find that the scope holds zero, and find that the adjustments are repeatable. I have ran my Vortex 8-32 scopes adjustment many time up and down from a zero at 100, 200, 600, 700, 900 and out to a zero at 1000 yards, and every time I place it back on the number it is back to zero at each range. (At x number it is at 100 yard zero, at x number it is at 1000 yard zero, then back to the first number it is back to 100 yard zero.)

I find that the scope is an excellent scope for the money. The down sides of the scope is the parallax adjustment is stiff to move. The reticle is usable but I would prefer a target dot. The scope (much like all the scopes I have tested) looses light transition at higher powers. Vortex has a great transferable warranty. The scope has plenty of adjustment. IMO it is the best scope in that price range.

Basic Member

I have one, and have enjoyed it very much. Have not compared it to the Leupold or Sightron, sorry.

That said, my experience is a little different from 82boy (his review if very good though). Mine is nice and bright, in fact as clear a Burris Black Diamond 8-32 or a Nikon Monarch 6-24 - but only when the scope is set below 24X. From 24X to 32X I find it is not as clear and at 32X it will 'halo' pretty bad no matter how much adjustment is made - I have not talked to Vortex about this, and probably should. I have a 36x Truglo that is clearer, but it is a fixed power scope.

The true test for me is when I ask myself if I would purchase again, and that I can answer Yes to without hesitation. Just wish it was a bit better on the high end....but for the $ it was a very good purchase IMO.

NRV

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll give one a try whenever the piggy bank gets full. I shoot left-handed, and having the paralax adjustment on the objective is actually more comfortable for me than reaching over the other side.

3fingervic

I have one of these scopes on my 110 FLCP-K. It is fine so far. Mine is very clear at the higher powers. My buddy has a Leupold, and he likes the Vortex better.

I find that the scope is an excellent scope for the money. The down sides of the scope is the parallax adjustment is stiff to move. The reticle is usable but I would prefer a target dot. The scope (much like all the scopes I have tested) looses light transition at higher powers. Vortex has a great transferable warranty. The scope has plenty of adjustment. IMO it is the best scope in that price range.
    What's the best "Target Dot" scope out there for the $$$$.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Don't know that it is best, but a Weaver T36 with a target dot is next on my list.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Wow, good question. I would almost say a Weaver T36. Cost is over $400, but they can be found used in the $320 area.

The Mueller 8-32 has a target dot in it, I have one and it is a good piece of glass, I would say for me the cross hairs are a bit thicker than what is found on a target scope, like a Weaver, or Leupold. I don't know what size the dot is ,but Mueller claims it is a "3/16 @ 100yds on 32×" Cost is slightly around $250. ($259.95 is Mueller's direct factory cost, SWFA $229) I have yet to have the time to fully evaluate it.

Sightron is a popular choice the 8-32s are around $800 bucks. Their 36 power SII scopes are in the $400 dollar range. Weird thing I have found is Sightrons do not have a great resale, they can be found sitting in classified sections at under or around $300.

That is about it.