Thread: MatchGrade Stock Stabilizer to stiffen up stock?

Basic Member

MatchGrade Stock Stabilizer to stiffen up stock?

anyone try the MatchGrade Synthetic Stock Stabilizer to stiffen up stock?

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/shop...lizer+Kit.html

seems like a good idea wonder if filling the butt end with this stuff would help it too?

tinkerer
    OK, fully bedding the stock up to the front. Doable. I have even wrapped the barrel in 2 layers of masking tape, and than polishing it with Johnsons paste wax. Makes a real pretty bedding job.

Personally, I would think if you're going for stiff, than the carbon fiber arrows bedded in the front of the stock to be a good solution. I prefer bedding for the action end of the stock.

Larry
    Tinkerer

65impala
    I have filled stocks with epoxy to stiffen them up so I can use a bi-pod without the forearm hitting the barrel. It worked just fine and is probably about the same thing as this kit :)

Basic Member
    did you epoxy sticks in the wrist too?

tinkerer
    Nope. But I did not use the plastic stock. Its pretty tough stuff and I would not think to stiffen the wrist. But I have heard of wood stocks shearing off there, so I good bolt/stiffener is a good thing. I have had 1 Striker stock try to shear off, reinforced it with a 3" wood screw and a aluminum pillar.

Larry
    Tinkerer

65impala
    I've never had a rifle stock that I felt needed reinforcement to the wrist, but I understand its a concern with the axis stocks

Westcliffe01
    I wonder if they include chopped fiberglass or any other "reinforcement" in that "epoxy kit"? Anyone should know that resin by itself is pretty useless structurally. "Composite" has only enough resin to bond the fibers of the re-enforcement together. A good example is those fiberglass marker poles we get to mark road edges or the driveway for winter plowing.

65impala
    I forgot to mention it earlier, but I typically mix mine with microballons or silica when filling in forearms. I have also mixed in lead shot with the epoxy to add some weight. All variations seemed to work very well in the half dozen or so that I have done over the years.