Thread: Scoping mounting and adjustment

gablett

Scoping mounting and adjustment

Hello,

Just mounted the new Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 scope on my 111 trophy hunter XP in .25-06. Love the scope. I used Burris zee signature high rings. I got a laser bore sighter as well. When I got everything mounted, level, and tightened and look through the scope the elevation was almost dead on with the laser dot. I was looking at about 30 feet. Windage however left a lot to be desired. The dot was quite a ways left. I used the adjustment on the scope and it took a lot of adjustment. My question I guess is 3 fold.
    1. Now POA = POI at 30 feet. But is it somehow out of alignment or something that at 100 yds its going to be even further left?
    2. I read something in the manual for the rings about offset inserts. Anyone have any experience with them and would that help?
    3. Any other ideas as to maybe I did something wrong or some other way to solve this, or is that much adjustment needed sometimes?

Thanks for any help.

First off DO NOT trust the laser bore sighter or any bore sighter for that matter.
    Pull the bolt out, sight something 50-100 yards away and center it in the bore of the barrel, now without moving the rifle see how far you are off and adjust accordingly.
    IMO and it is just that, I think your rings will be to high, meds. should work just fine and be more comfortable to shoot with.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

gablett
    Why are they so popular and so darn expensive if you are not to trust them? What's wrong with them?

How do you ensure u are centered on something that far away? Could it be because I over tightened the rings? I ordered a torque wrench. It took a couple complete turns of the adjustment to get it in line and that seems like a lot if I'm not mistaken.

Mediums might work but I wanted the extra height for scope caps. I think it's just right.

I have both styles of laser bore sighters -arbor & shell case and niether one will get me any closer than a 12" on paper at 100 yards. I also have the grid style arbor sighter and the Leupold magnetic one(TERRIBLE) and they don't do much better.They are made to get you close, that is it,and maybe for a quick refference after zeroing.
    When sighting through the bore I pick something big enough to see but small enough to center in the bore,then with the gun secure in a rest without moving it I adjust my scope to the center of what I see. There are many articles on how this is done, try google.
    Usually 8 out of 10 times I am with in a couple of clicks when I finally get to the range. It takes some patience but is well worth the effort, a lot cheaper also.
    FROGGY

gablett
    Well then that would make sense if they are that far off for you. I probably adjusted my sight big time for no reason. I thought they were much more reliable and accurate than they are. I guess thats it, it just needs to warm up a bit so I can get out to the range.

When it is cold or miserable out I set up my rest well inside of a window( don't want to upset neighbors) and pick out something outside and do my sighting. My neighbor happens to have a 18" rose window over his garage @ 132yards works like a charm.
    FROGGY

gablett
    Decided to change out the weaver bases for Leupold STD base and rings since they are windage adjustable. Man twisting in that dove tail takes a lot of force! I like this mount and setup way more than the weavers it had.

On to the windage of the scope and adjustments. I had no idea you could use a mirror to zero the scope. Learn something new every day. So I did that, it was way off. I dont honestly know if it came from the factory properly zeroed. SO I did that and mounted it up. Threw the laser in, made sure it was seated good and not reflecting off anything and the dot was low and left, but nowhere near as far as with the weaver bases. And with these Leupold STD bases, its windage adjustable, so I got it dead on without even touching the internal adjustments. So once its warm its off to the range to poke some holes. THanks for all the help and adivce.

Team Savage
    Now shoot it at 25 to 50 yards and adjust your base windage screw to center. Then take it out to 100 yards and make your final elevation and windage adjustments with the scope.

Basic Member
    best to use a wood dowell to rotate the front ring several times before mounting the scope in that type ring/base
    otherwise you run the risk of scope damage. some will carp on that setup saying they eventually loosen after
    being removed a few times. but ive never experienced that in many years of using them. the windage adjustment
    in the mount will solve your problem. i would find the center of the windage in the scope. then bore site with the base
    adjustment. final windage adjustment can be made with the scope as you shoot. as for the bore sighter who cares if
    its off some so long as its on paper when you shoot so you can see it. hold on your aiming point and dial to the hit
    and your there or at least very close. and by the way it also works regardless of distance.

I have a laser bore sighter, don't have the brand name handy, but it does pretty good. I index it with the switch in the same position on each installation. I have a reflective target(6x6") mounted inside a shoe box for shade. I set it up at 100yds., adjust so the laser dot is about 1" high, and 1" right. First shot(after removing the laser from the muzzle) is usually withing 2 or 3" of center of 10 ring. YMMV.