Thread: Differences between the Savage Rimfires

Differences between the Savage Rimfires

I am looking to get a Savage Rimfire next and have some questions.
    I am looking at either the Mark ll FV-SR or the Mark ll TR. I see that the barrel and the stock are different on both models but are the actions the exact same? I was looking at replacing the stock either way so if the actions are exactly the same I would probably be better off with the FV-SR since its a bit cheaper.

The only other question is can I still shoot out to 100 yards without a problem with the 16.5" barrel?

Basic Member
    On the new FV-SRs I've looked at (I don't own one), the action is the same as the TR (I own a TR and TRR-SR).

As for the 16.5" barrel at 100yds, it won't be a problem. I have a CZ 452 American with the 16" threaded barrel and shoot it well beyond 100yds without issue. While centerfires give you a big velocity penalty for a short barrel, it's quite the opposite for the humble 22LR rifle. In 22LR rifles, depending on what type of ammo you use, peak velocity typically occurs in 16-20" barrels. The only reason to go with a long barrel on a 22LR is if you plan to use open sights and need the increased sight radius.
    Last edited by squirrelsniper; 12-08-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelsniper View Post
    On the new FV-SRs I've looked at (I don't own one), the action is the same as the TR (I own a TR and TRR-SR).

As for the 16.5" barrel at 100yds, it won't be a problem. I have a CZ 452 American with the 16" threaded barrel and shoot it well beyond 100yds without issue. While centerfires give you a big velocity penalty for a short barrel, it's quite the opposite for the humble 22LR rifle. In 22LR rifles, depending on what type of ammo you use, peak velocity typically occurs in 16-20" barrels. The only reason to go with a long barrel on a 22LR is if you plan to use open sights and need the increased sight radius.
    Yep,

I checked about 4 different sites that have done testing .22's in different barrel lengths ... and all of them show a decline in velocity after about 16 inches.

With a .22 what you gain in extra barrel length is sight radius and maybe gun weight ... that is it !

Even in many center fire rifles using cases in the .308 class, velocity loss is not that great. My 20 Inch Hog Hunter in .308 is pushing a 150gr bullet at ~2850fps ....that works for me !

wll
    Last edited by wlleven; 12-08-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Perfect, I am going to order a FV-SR and see if I can get it to shoot like my Hog Hunter does.

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by Raydee38 View Post
    Perfect, I am going to order a FV-SR and see if I can get it to shoot like my Hog Hunter does.
    I did the same thing on Friday, I'm deciding if i want to keep the Tupperware stock and have a carry around shooter or want a Tacticool stock or a Boyd's classic.

I have the scopes, rings and all the rest, don't want to spend a fortune on this gun, just want a shooter !

Only thing I need is a cool flash hider or muzzle break, just for looks ! Being I live in Kalifornia we don't have the freedom that is in the United States (38 states) to purchase a suppressor !

wll

I am looking at the Rhineland Arms stock for mine.

I feel your pain on the suppressor, I live in NY so we are in the same boat.

Like your plate!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raydee38 View Post
    I am looking at the Rhineland Arms stock for mine.

I feel your pain on the suppressor, I live in NY so we are in the same boat.
    What part?