Thread: Savage Mark II / Boyds Evolution match results!

shanejohnson2002

Savage Mark II / Boyds Evolution match results!

TL;DR: I put a new stock on my Mark II and tested it at a local gun club match.

So I bought a new stock for my Savage Mark II: A Boyd's Evolution. I know it's not a "benchrest" stock, but my rifle isn't strictly used for bench (at the moment, at least).

I love the way this stock feels. The pistol grip is at just the right angle for me. I don't like how low the cheek rest is though, so I taped a mousepad wrist rest on it to raise it up a bit. Works like a charm. Length of pull is good for me. The fore end is a bit too short to use on a bench, so I run a bipod on it and use a rear bag for support.

The rifle itself isn't bedded in the new stock. I literally received the stock on Thursday, put the rifle in it Friday, and shot the match Saturday. All in all though, I'm pretty pleased. It *definitely* showed potential, but it also took the whole match to settle in. We were also shooting in the rain/wind, which didn't help.

All in all, a good day at the range though. :D

The rifle:

I didn't do so hot at the match. I attribute that to several things, most of all the operator. But a brand new, unbedded stock probably didn't help too much either.

After the match, I shot some groups on a spare target that was still at the 50y line. These are the best two, and ironically, the last two I fired. This makes me think it needed to "settle in" to its new stock:

The whole target, which I was sharing with another shooter:

pequeajim
    Good groupings. What was the other guys shooting?
    Last edited by pequeajim; 03-25-2013 at 09:37 AM.

shanejohnson2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pequeajim View Post
    Good groupings. What was the other guys shooting?
    I can't account for everyone, but the guy that won had what appeared to be an Anschutz. I was 3 benches away so I didn't get a good look at it.

The guy next to me used a 10/22 for the match, then shot his Kimber for ammo testing and groupings (Which you can see on the bottom half of the target). At our club, you mostly see Marlin 60's and 10/22's for our "plinker" class, CZ's, Anschutz, 40x, etc for the "Target" class....and whatever you can afford for the "Pro" class.

I also used my father-in-law's Marlin 25n for my Plinker target. I just put a scope on it and used the match to zero it lol. I *did* take second....but there were only two shooters anyway in that class.

pequeajim
    Quote Originally Posted by shanejohnson2002 View Post
    I can't account for everyone, but the guy that won had what appeared to be an Anschutz. I was 3 benches away so I didn't get a good look at it.

The guy next to me used a 10/22 for the match, then shot his Kimber for groupings. At our club, you mostly see Marlin 60's and 10/22's for our "plinker" class, CZ's, Anschutz, 40x, etc for the "Target" class....and whatever you can afford for the "Pro" class.

I also used my father-in-law's Marlin 25n for my Plinker target. I just put a scope on it and used the match to zero it lol. I *did* take second....but there were only two shooters anyway in that class.
    Still, some good shooting...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

shanejohnson2002
    UPDATE: Just added a Harrell (style) Tuner, and tried the Heat Shrink method of dampening the barrel. Also, my SWFA 20x just came in. All that's missing now is the 30mm DNZ mount I ordered.

Range Friday (weather permitting), with report to follow.

Here's the pics: