Thread: What should I expect?

pequeajim

What should I expect?

I am a beginner and bought a Mark II BTVS which I really like. I've been getting 2.5" groups at 100 yards with a scope, but after a few hundred rounds, it is only getting marginally better.

I guess there a are a lot of people on here who are getting better results, and I just want to get a feel for what I should expect at my experience level.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

MidwesternMutt
    Stop shooting for the day while it is still fun. Don't judge yourself by how well others do. Look for improvement in yourself over time.

Basic Member
    Since you mention you're a beginner, your experience at dealing with the wind is going to be the biggest factor. At 100yds a 22LR can move significantly with even a 5mph breeze. Having an accurate rifle and truly match-grade ammo certainly helps, but even that isn't going to give decent groups unless you learn how to deal with the wind.

It's hard to give an exact number of what to expect as so much will depend on your ability/experience at dealing with the wind. With experience and good ammo I'd shoot for getting down to 1.5" groups or better, but for a beginner 2.5" really isn't that bad at 100yds. You'll read a lot on the internet about people shooting groups under 1" at 100yds, but I can tell you from experience that very few shooters can consistently do that. Only a small percentage of shooters can truly shoot groups under 1" at 100yds with regularity, but most people just get one or two groups that are good and that's the ones they're basing their accuracy on (completely forgetting about all the other 2" groups they've shot ), so don't get discouraged by reports you see on the internet. Just learn everything you can about how the wind affects your bullet in flight and practice a lot.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

pequeajim
    Thanks. I can see how an understanding of things like the wind will help me improve my accuracy. I'm going to find the best shooters in our club and try to pick their brains.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Team Savage
    Its the ammo you are using.
    Try some Wolf target match ammo and after about 50 shots your should be shooting 1/4" at 25 yards

3rdgeargrndrr
    I think youre doing great for a beginner. theres a lot to learn about accuracy, and its just not aligning everything up and pulling the trigger. Have a seasoned shooter shoot a group for you and see what that looks like.
    second opinion on the ammo, bulk or ultra match? there is a great difference.
    Even that 22plinkster on youtube gets a 1" group with mid range ammo and he can shoot the primer out of a 223 case with the match

Westcliffe01
    I have a CZ 512 22mag which I got for shooting coyotes at night, so it has a 1.5-4.5 scope on it with a relatively heavy reticle and I am doing good to shoot a 4-5" group at 100 yards. I have to say that cleaning a semi rimfire gun is a gigantic PIA, they do not come apart like a military rifle or bolt gun... Now I shoot that rimfire gun off the same rest that I use for my centerfire rifles and the ones I keep tend to be 1/2 MOA consistently, so it is not that I can't shoot.

But certainly the sighting system makes a big difference to me and 22 bullets do get blown around by the wind at 100 yards and beyond. I wondered why I had so much trouble hitting a coyote at 350 yards with my 223 shooting 55gr bullets until I started shooting at targets in field conditions and found my wind drift was 16-24" at that range.... I switched to 75gr match bullets and that wind drift was reduced by half. But no reloading tricks are available for the 22. Now I am shooting my 243 AI and 95gr Bergers and at 3200fps+ with a high BC the wind effect is reduced a whole bunch more. So depending on the mission, use the right tool, unless you like pain.

outback andy
    Westcliffe : What ammo are you shooting in your CZ 512 ?, have you tried the Hornady V-max 30Gr or if you like to use HP for coyotes
    the Armscor 40 Gr .22 Mag give me tight groups too.

Westcliffe01
    Yes, I have both the Hornady and the CCI ammo. No difference between them on downrange performance. My rifle had an awful gritty trigger when I got it and that was the first thing I had to fix and it is really quite acceptable now (removed the metal injection molding parting lines and surface texture).

It could be one of those situations where a larger aiming point would really help (my default target has a 1MOA black dot on a white background which is obscured by the scope crosshairs) so I try to center the reticle on the paper itself.

Basic Member
    A 22 LR aint a 100 yr caliber. That may sound funny but really?? Sure a lot of us shoot em at 100 but unless you have some wind flags and half match ammo-2 1/2" aint bad.

Ill bet you get a pretty good group except for a couple fliers-cause by wind, ammo or usually shooter. If you pull one 'call it' and discount that shot from the group.

What is the trigger pull? If you are expecting BR (benchrest) accuracy get it light-less than 8-10 OUNCES.

pequeajim
    Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post
    Ill bet you get a pretty good group except for a couple fliers-cause by wind, ammo or usually shooter. If you pull one 'call it' and discount that shot from the group.

What is the trigger pull? If you are expecting BR (benchrest) accuracy get it light-less than 8-10 OUNCES.
    My trigger is set to around 2 lbs... Not as light as it could be, but enough to give good results and still be safe for a beginner.

JCalhoun
    Some .22's are very picky about the ammo. Try several different brands and types.

Also, rimfires like to be a little bit dirty. Avoid the temptation to scrub the bore after every range trip. Now that is not to say that you don't clean the rest of the rifle, just the bore.

My Mark II gets cleaned out about once a year (800-1000 rounds).