Thread: Over pressure in 30/06

Mattd

Over pressure in 30/06

I just started loading for my 110 in 30/06 and am getting flattened winchester primers (although they seem to be pretty soft in other calibers), and bulging above the web. One round was slightly difficult to eject. Loading IMR4064. My Lyman #49 manual says min is 48g and max is 53g. I loaded between 49 and 51 in half grain increments, and am seeing the same signs from all weights with the bulging being slightly less on only the 49g rounds. This is the first time the brass has been reloaded.

Could there be something up with the rifle since I'm having problems so low in the load range? Cases measured 2.492 before and .000-.005 longer after shooting. OAL was 3.207, the manual called for 3.200.

Basic Member
    you didn't say what bullet/weight you are using. Is this a factory 30-06? Did you have any problems with factory loads?
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I find some of what you're saying with my '06 as well. Except for the "difficult to eject" part.
    I didn't like the results with 4064. I've been using IMR4350 for a while & have had excellent results. I don't load for mega-max velocity. Accuracy loading only. I think my '06 likes the slower powder.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Mattd
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    you didn't say what bullet/weight you are using. Is this a factory 30-06? Did you have any problems with factory loads?
    150g Hornady Boattails FMJ. Metal is all factory, but i put on a laminated stock and glass and pillar bedded this past fall. that project did not go totally smooth, but everything cleaned up ok. never had any problems with the federal or Remington hunting ammo prior to the new stock. Sighted in with some mil surp then maybe 10 rounds of hunting ammo before deer season without problems, but no extensive factory round shooting since new stock. And less then 40 reloads since new stock.

Basic Member
    Just looking at the Hodgdon web site you seem to be in the upper side of the pressure limit for a 150gr bullet. They list the load as 47 to 51 max. We all know most times it is on the conservative side but you may have a little tighter headspace or chamber. Try backing down to a load between the 47gr and the 49gr you started with. If you have access to a chrony, that will tell you how the load is doing as to speed.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    In all fairness the sugestion to use a chrony is a super idea. Being that every gun shoots differently with different ammo, one good way of know if you are having over pressure issues is to document the speeds and compare with the load data. If you are slower, you might be having a headspace issues. Is your COL right on or are you longer and maybe into the lands , again a source to create pressure issues.

Hey Matt push the bullets in 50 thou, and give it a try and get back to us, that will answer some questions.

Dean

PS: has the barrel ever been removed?
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Mattd
    it will be a week or so before i can get back out and shoot/chrony, but started the process to reload the same brass. i mentioned before that brass was 2.492-2.497 after shooting. i resized and ran them thru the tumbler and noticed the imprints on the necks. i don't think its rifling - i didn't notice it before cleaning and what would be lands/groves aren't close to the same dimensions. Also, the cases now measure 2.520+ and will need to be trimmed. will i really need to trim after every resizing?

How hard is it to close the bolt, you must realy have to manhandle it.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Mattd
    well, prior to shooting and after shooting i was within spec...no problem at all. i really dont think its rifiling from the barrel....dosent match the dimensions of my rifilinig. i suspect its from the sizing die.

Do you "over cam"

Dean

Mattd
    ?? i dunno. i screwed in the Lee die till it hit the ram, and then turned it in another 1/4 turn per the instructions, and confirmed that is how it was set after seeing the imprints. i ran the brass into the die until it bottomed out on the ram. when i first started using the die the neck sizer/primer pin pulled out and i had to reset it and tighten the collet. maybe the pin is sticking out to far?

You answered my question, over camminig is when the die is set so deep, that you feel a thunk at they end, just past when you bottom out.

Dean

Basic Member
    What kind of brass is it? And was it crimped factory ammo? Maybe? I've always ran 4350 with 150sst's with no problems looks like a factory crimp markings on the neck just my .02
    couple of savages

Basic Member
    Quick got it. Those are the marks left from the crimp after firing a factory load.

Mattd
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Hey Matt push the bullets in 50 thou
    Got out sooner then I thought I would. Loaded 10 each at 48g and 49g at 3.202 OAL. 48 avg fps was 2641 and 49 was 2718. The Lyman Manual calls 48g at 2695. No pressure signs, so I guess even tho I was under the Lyamn manual I was loading hot. Makes me wonder bout that manual, but I guess that why you start low and work up.