Thread: Help w/ identifying date of manufacture for Savage model 110E - Series H

azdesertdad

Help w/ identifying date of manufacture for Savage model 110E - Series H

Hi folks,

I've come in to an older Savage Model 110E - Series H -

SN is C436896

Any help in dating this would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

JW
    AZ Desert Dad

stangfish

Basic Member
    Check the Stickys at top.

azdesertdad
    . The "dating" service is intended more for dating and documenting the older collectable guns that are no longer in production and were made prior to 1980.

"F" prefix with a serial number lower than F498821 = 1989 thru Nov. 1st, 1995
    "F" prefix with a serial number higher than F498821 = Nov. 1st, 1995 through the end of 2002
    "G" prefix started in 2003 with the introduction of the AccuTrigger
    "H" prefix started in January of 2010

Serial number prefix is "C", how is any of the above relevant?

Basic Member
    Sorry about that. Must admit haven't read the stickys in a while.
    Maybe this will help a little. The A prefix started in Dec. 1968, E998 was 1989.
    Just a guess but I would say yours was made mid to late 70's.
    Maybe someone will chime in that knows more.

azdesertdad
    That's great information and a good start! Thanks very much. Does anyone have information on how to narrow it down to a specific year?

Ruger 44
    Hi folks serial number on Savage 110 30-06 is F131762
    Any help dating would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks much
    Mike

I bought a Savage 110E (308) brand new in 1978. The serial number is C46xxxx, so I think that confirms yours is probably mid 1970s. I believe that time period all the 110E stocks had a stamped checking on the hardwood stock, earlier models the stocks were smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by azdesertdad View Post
    . The "dating" service is intended more for dating and documenting the older collectable guns that are no longer in production and were made prior to 1980.

"F" prefix with a serial number higher than F498821 = Nov. 1st, 1995 through the end of 2002

Actually this isn't 100% accurate. I just picked up a pre-accutrigger flat receiver 111FCXPS with a G serial number so there must have been an overlap when the G series started.
    US Army Military Police Veteran, NRA Life Member

jayman412
    Quote Originally Posted by azdesertdad View Post

Actually this isn't 100% accurate. I just picked up a pre-accutrigger with a G serial number G423*** , not a flat finish. I think this is one of the package deals that came with a 3x9x40 Simmons 8 Point scope. Nice flat shooter that has taken a deer 4 of the past 5 years. Just replaced the scope...

Banned
    Savage has no records and they drop them off quickly even today.

I have a G I place about 2008 but it could be newer or older. That is not even to the year, 7 year possibility.

Just not there unless we build our own list from known letters and date actually bought.

Does start with J0000001 or ?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_GUN_NUT View Post
    Actually this isn't 100% accurate. I just picked up a pre-accutrigger flat receiver 111FCXPS with a G serial number so there must have been an overlap when the G series started.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayman412 View Post
    Actually this isn't 100% accurate. I just picked up a pre-accutrigger with a G serial number G423*** , not a flat finish. I think this is one of the package deals that came with a 3x9x40 Simmons 8 Point scope. Nice flat shooter that has taken a deer 4 of the past 5 years. Just replaced the scope...
    Actually it is accurate. The statement doesn't say all "G" prefix rifles had the AccuTrigger, only that the change to "G" coincided with the introduction of the AccuTrigger. Savage still made non-AccuTrigger rifles after the AccuTrigger came out, mostly as package rifles like yours or big box store specials. And yes, some even featured leftover flat-back receivers that Savage had previously set back for warranty repair/replacement use.

Quote Originally Posted by thirty06 View Post
    Check the Stickys at top.
    My 110 has NO letter prefix. I have not been able to date it. serial #136XX Any help anyone??? Left side of barrel has oval with either IIJ or 11J, right side barrel just has a X. Thanks

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by DarryH View Post
    My 110 has NO letter prefix. I have not been able to date it. serial #136XX Any help anyone??? Left side of barrel has oval with either IIJ or 11J, right side barrel just has a X. Thanks
    Manufactured prior to 1969 - http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-Letter-Prefix

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I guess someone really needs to do the research and print a book. My Savage 110 seems to be pretty early, it would just be nice to be able to put an actual date to it. Still a great gun!

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by DarryH View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. I guess someone really needs to do the research and print a book. My Savage 110 seems to be pretty early, it would just be nice to be able to put an actual date to it. Still a great gun!
    The "J" in your barrel stamp indicates rifle was produced in 1958 and based on 6-digit serial number my guess is late '58. Serial numbers started at 1, so yours is the 36,xxx rifle produced that year. I own the 71st 110 to come off the production line, has a 4 digit serial number with an "16I" barrel stamp. Production date on mine has been confirmed as 1957 and is the oldest known 4-digit serial number 110 in forum member Mad Dog's registry.

Doesn't make them any more valuable, in fact, due to barrel and receiver being unique in the early years, very few parts will interchange. Mine has been in the family since 1967 or 1968 so I can account for all but 10yrs of ownership. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Actually it is accurate. The statement doesn't say all "G" prefix rifles had the AccuTrigger, only that the change to "G" coincided with the introduction of the AccuTrigger. Savage still made non-AccuTrigger rifles after the AccuTrigger came out, mostly as package rifles like yours or big box store specials. And yes, some even featured leftover flat-back receivers that Savage had previously set back for warranty repair/replacement use.
    Thanks for the clarification Jay. I guess it's all in how you interpret the wording. Good information!
    US Army Military Police Veteran, NRA Life Member