Thread: 110 built in 80's with broken bolt head retainer pin questions

110 built in 80's with broken bolt head retainer pin questions

(30.06 rifle) Several past posts discussed that some late 80's retaining pins had poor heat treatment which caused breakages. Other posts point out that Savage later went with firing pins with smaller shafts so that the pin had more meat and was stronger. Members suggested a new smaller diameter firing pin, new appropriately sized retaining pin, and a new bolt head that had a smaller channel on the back end to fit the smaller pin. First of all, no one had the original large hole pins in stock so I was pretty much stuck with getting the new smaller pin parts. I got the parts from a Texas supplier who advertises on this site. The problem is that the old bolt body has an internal bump that indexes with a cutout on the old bolt head. The bump makes it impossible to use the new bolt head. Some members say that using the old bolt head is fine with the new smaller pin because the retaining pin and the firing pin tip channel is enough bearing for the firing pin. A customer who bought parts elsewhere said he just ground the internal "bump" out of the bolt body and used the new bolt face that is drilled for the new smaller pin. I put the bolt back together with the new firing pin and the new retaining pin with the original bolt head and put the bolt back in the gun and it cycles just fine. But is it safe??? Please advise. Thanks

should be fine, i slotted my bolt head instead.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Measure the firing pin and the FP hole in the bolt head. If it is close to the same size, it should be good to go. If it is hole is too large for the firing pin the primer cup could flow into the gap, possibly causing primers to pierce. (flow is often caused by the radius on the firing pin tip being too "long" also. So there is that, but more than likely it will be fine)

Now you need to check headspace.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

The internal bump and corresponding slot in the bolt head was only there to ensure they weren't assembled 180-degrees out at the factory and serves no other purpose than that. Savage got some better trained monkeys to do the bolt assembly so they did away with it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    should be fine, i slotted my bolt head instead.
    I've done the same thing. Easy to do!
    US Army Military Police Veteran, NRA Life Member