Thread: Blown Ejector Spring

Basic Member

Unhappy Blown Ejector Spring

CRAP! While working up some new 308 loads (switching to RL15 to save Varget for 223) a hot load blew a primer and now the ejector spring is weak and won't eject. This will be my first time going into that part of the bolt so hopefully it will come apart ok; I'll try the bag trick too so I won't fly the spring to some un-traceable location. I guess this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Basic Member
    Once you get in there once..... you will be an expert! Its easy....
    MOAON AABE

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    And after you get it out, clean the hole out with WD39, wipe dry, reassemble, load, shoot, repeat as needed.

I had a primer blow out the wrong side. Made a mess of the bolt face & jammed the ejector in. I had a heckuva time getting it out & cleaning it up. Having a new spring on hand is a good idea.

But most of all, have fun with it.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    I had a primer blow out the wrong side. Made a mess of the bolt face & jammed the ejector in. I had a heckuva time getting it out & cleaning it up.
    I didn't even try using the normal tricks after this example, the bolthead went straight to the mill and drilled out. I used #55 bit to pull the spring.

It weren't mine, but a fellow trying to turn his 25-06 into a 257 Weatherby with his "Hot" loads. Not only was the ejector wreaked but the first time I've seen someone bend a extractor!!! Quite an accomplishment!!!

After cleaning up the bolt face, replacing the wreaked parts and a bit of advise (aka; butt chew'n) the rifle was put back into service.

I also suggest purchasing the new design ejectors directly from Savage Arms, the one on the left. BTW, its the same part number as the old style.

The follower (tail) helps to keep the spring straight like the one on the right and to some degree prevent wreaking the ejector by "enthusiastic" reloading.
    Bill

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info Bill.

How hot a load were you using and be specific.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    I was shooting the last of the old Varget loads to get them out of the way so as not to have a mix-up while switching to RL15; 44.6 gr Varget under 175 SMK. This is under published upper limit, but in the warning zone according to QuickLoad (which I'm gaining more confidence as a good tool) . I have also had early pressure problems with other Varget loads too, so maybe I have a "hot" lot of powder.

Basic Member
    44.6 shouldn't have done that. I worked up to 46 grains of varget with 178 amax in a tight bore obermeyer barrel.

Basic Member
    Yea, I'm not sure what is going on with my Varget and pressure because a similar thing happened with a new jug on the 6BR with 30.0 gr which had been ok in the past. It will be interesting to see what happens with the RL15; according to Quick Load the max pressure is less than that for Varget to achieve the same velocity - the pressure profile through the barrel is different. During my initial ladder tests the recoil "felt" like this was the case, and I'm scaling up now to check seating depth and should have a more firm result soon.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNC View Post
    44.6 gr Varget under 175 SMK. This is under published upper limit, but in the warning zone according to QuickLoad (which I'm gaining more confidence as a good tool)
    It depends on the rifle. The factory barrel on one of my Savage 308s has a tight chamber and short throat. At 44.5gr Varget bolt lift is a bit sticky and the primers are starting to lose their edges. 45.0gr flattens primers and bolt lift (even with an extended handle) requires 2 or 3 solid hits from the heel of my hand. First time around I thought I just had a "fast" lot of Varget, but tests with 2 more lots again started showing signs of getting pretty warm around the same 44.5gr area. As the mantra goes; "every rifle is a rule unto itself."
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]