Thread: Need help with Savage rifle and Leupold scope (was working with other scope)

Basic Member

Need help with Savage rifle and Leupold scope (was working with other scope)

I have a Savage long action, flat back reciever.

It has an EGW 20MOA one piece base, Burris Z rings. It was originally set up with a Grand Slam 3.5x10x50 scope and was dialed in pretty well.

I took it apart to install a SSS trigger. While it was apart I removed the scope and rings to swap the scope for a Leupold VXIII 6.5x20x40 scope that I had previously used on an AR.

I did not touch the EGW base.

Now I can not seem to get the elevation set. At 100 yards, I have run out of "UP" elevation adjustment and I am still about 8" low.

(It worked fine with the Weaver.)

I have taken the rings on and off a few times and carefully reassembled the scop and rings. I tried swapping front and rear rings as well as turning them 180 degrees. Still no joy.

Any ideas? What am I missing?

I am going to try swapping in another scope that just came back from Leupold for a reticle change, but was hoping to use that one on a different rifle.

I am sure I am missing something simple.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

JCalhoun

Re: Need help with Savage rifle and Leupold scope (was working with other scope)

It is not uncommon for 20moa bases to make a scope "top out" at 100y. A flat or maybe even a 10moa base will solve your problem.

Why do you need the tapered base?

Basic Member

Re: Need help with Savage rifle and Leupold scope (was working with other scope)

th 20 MOA base came with the rifle and it seemed to work with the Weaver. I tried the known good scope. Same result.

I guess I'll go with a different base.

Thanks.

The answer is simply that the Weaver has more internal elevation adjustment than the Leupold.

You could run the turrets all the way in and count the number of clicks to get them all the way out.

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Reading your post again, I'm not sure what is going on.

If the tapered base was the problem, you would be shooting high and have run out of down adjustment. If you were to change to a 10 or 0 MOA base, you'd shoot even lower.

Are you sure you're trying to adjust it up and not down?

Are you sure the base is on correct? Both of the scopes you mentioned should have more than enough adjustment for a 20 MOA base.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    The answer is simply that the Weaver has more internal elevation adjustment than the Leupold.

You could run the turrets all the way in and count the number of clicks to get them all the way out.
    The Weaver 3.5-10x50 grand slam has 65 moa. The Leupold has 90 moa adjustment. (Info on the manufacturer's websites)

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    The Weaver 3.5-10x50 grand slam has 65 moa. The Leupold has 90 moa adjustment. (Info on the manufacturer's websites)
    I looked that up too. That's why I posted again. Scratching my head.

Basic Member

I did not touch the base when I took off the Weaver. I now have tried 2 Leupolds with the same result so I know it is not the scope.

It has to be something simple I am missing.....

At 100 yards, the point of impact is > 8" lower than the point of aim. I have turned the elevation adjustment on the "UP" direction as far as it will allow.

The rings are Burris with the "0" plastic inserts. Could I have boogered up the rings? Never used them before.

I may just try other rings.

Any other suggestions?

Elkbane

Probably not the rings, but the plastic inserts are "cheap" parts and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a little difference between them. You've got 4 insert halves. You could set the rifle up in a stable cradle, sight through and center the bore at a distant target. Swap through all combinations of the 4 insert halves in the bottom rings with the scope "snapped" into them to see which combination of two lower halves gives you a sight picture closest to boresight. The tops aren't important - it's the bottom pair that are controlling verticle. Maybe this is off base, but seems reasonable. Maybe one insert is compressed or has a small maufacturing defect? I knnow they have flashing along the edges..... If that doesn't work, the offset inserts can be used to take some of the cant back off of the 20MOA base...
    Elkbane

Basic Member

If you don't have insersts, you can make them. A local gunsmith I know and help out sometimes uses aluminum from coke cans to make inserts.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

dcloco

From Weaver's website:

http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/r...grandslam.aspx

11.5-4.5 23.6-10.9/7.9-3.6 3.5/89 12.8/325 1/4 / 7 (MOA)>>65/1.8 16.3/462
    11.5-4.5 23.6-10.9/7.9-3.6 3.5/89 12.8/325 1/4 / 7 (MOA)>>65/1.8 16.3/462

From Leupold's website (note...I just picked the regular VX3 ...NOT the long range/etc)

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...x40mm-adj-obj/

VX-3 6.5-20x40mm Adj. Obj.
    Length (A) 14.5 in
    Tube Length (B) 6.5 in
    (C) 2.9 in
    (D) 2.3 in
    Eyepiece Length (E) 3.2 in
    Objective Length (F) 4.7 in
    Objective Diameter (G) 2.0 in
    Eyepiece Diameter (H) 1.6 in
    Tube Diameter (I) 1.0 in

Actual Magnification 19.2 (6.5)
    FOV @ 100 yds (ft) 5.6 (14.3)
    FOV @ 100 m (m) 1.9 (4.8)
    Eye Relief (in) 3.7 (5.0)
    Eye Relief (mm) 94 (127)
    Obj. Clear Aperture 1.6 in / 40 mm
    Weight 15.6 oz / 442 g
    Elevation Adj. Range (MOA) 90
    Windage Adj. Range (MOA) 90

Ah...bet I know what it is...the inserts! Measure them....burris has some of these out there that are NOT marked correctly.

~Ace~

If it was the Inserts they would be "about 70 MOA DOWN lol Not likely... I would say the erector is stuck in the scope, Send it to loopy and it will come home better than New in about 10 days.... but you said you tried 2 ? Are you Positive your Recoil Lugs in the bottom of the rings are engaging properly in the EGW base ? I have heard of the Z rings having probs on Alum bases because of a cheezy recoil lug. Do you have calipers to accurately measure the distance from the top of the base to the Bottom of the scope mounting surface ? What your describing would have the front base about 0.100 Lower than the rear. Possibly some lop eared smith ran out of UP with another scope and Shimmed the rear of the base making it Negative 0.100 MOA ? If you want to remove the base and measure it in the front and rear i can compare it to another Flatback 20MOA sittin on my bench.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ace~
    What your describing would have the front base about 0.100 Lower than the rear. Possibly some lop eared smith ran out of UP with another scope and Shimmed the rear of the base making it Negative 0.100 MOA ? If you want to remove the base and measure it in the front and rear i can compare it to another Flatback 20MOA sittin on my bench.
    Ace

That would be great. If you could measure it, I'll do the same and post what I have.

Thx.

Basic Member

Buyer beware...I should have checked.

It turns out the base was the problem. At some point before I got the base, it was either altered, mis-marked, or ??? Definitely a 20MOA.

I have a brand new one on the way.

Thanks for your help.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by privateer

It turns out the base was the problem. At some point before I got the base, it was either altered, mis-marked, or ??? Definitely a 20MOA.

Thanks for your help.
    Is it a 40 moa base then?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    Quote Originally Posted by privateer

Thanks for your help.
    Is it a 40 moa base then?
    More like -10.

dcloco

Really?

Is this a round or flat back action?

Basic Member

Flat back action. It seems to also be cut "low". Even with a different base "O" MOA, the best I could get was zero with only about 4" adjustment left. Definitely need the real 20 MOA.