Thread: LH to RH Conversion Question

savagehenry

LH to RH Conversion Question

I recently acquired a LH Model 110 7mm Mag with a factory walnut stock. I can shoot either RH or LH but feel more comfortable with a RH bolt action. I've searched the forums and found the two post below but wanted to clarify the conversion between the two. Is it simply a matter of buying a right handed stock or do i need a new bolt and other parts as well. I appreciate any advice or direction that is given.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,19906.0.html

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,12154.0.html

Re: LH to RH Conversion Question

you need to change the bolt also. what is the complete designation on the gun? 110HL 110 PLE?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

savagehenry

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    you need to change the bolt also. what is the complete designation on the gun? 110HL 110 PLE?
    only designation i see on the barrel is Savage Model 110L 7mm Rem Mag

with walnut had hoped you stumbled into something rare.

.223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

savagehenry

how much of a challenge or pain is it to replace the LH bolt with a RH one? Of average skill when it comes to firearms assembly/disassembly, so what i am saying is could i screw it up pretty easily?

Basic Member

I'm not sure what you're describing can even be done. Someone here correct me if I am wrong. For one thing, the ejection port is on the left side and it would be ejecting right back at you.

Bolts are easy to swap, IF this works. I'll be curious to other responses.

Bad Water Bill

I am quite sure that Fred has done the conversion before and mentioned it here. We will have to wait till he gets back next week. You could try asking 82boy also.

savagehenry

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    I'm not sure what you're describing can even be done. Someone here correct me if I am wrong. For one thing, the ejection port is on the left side and it would be ejecting right back at you.
    yeah, i'm not sure either. In the end it would probably just be easier to sell or trade the LH gun and put some money with it and buy a RH savage.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by savagehenry
    Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    yeah, i'm not sure either. In the end it would probably just be easier to sell or trade the LH gun and put some money with it and buy a RH savage.
    A lot easier and much less expensive.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

it is not hard IF you have the tools. the bolts work the same, just turn different directions.
    The inside if the receiver has to have ramps cut for a bolt lug, cut on the opposite side now to accommodate the new direction of the bolt travel. the receiver will also need port work and a new cut for the bolt slot as would your stock. at this point you could use either bolt, left or right. if you was a cosmetic one way only you have to weld up the non used bolt slot and machine smooth, touch up the finish to hide the change.

82boy

Fred (SSS) has changed right handed guns to left handed, it can be done in reverse. There is much more to changing it over than just parts.

Fist you would need to cut a slot in the back of the tang for the bolt to clear, and fully close. Then you would need to fill the slot on the other side of the tang that is no longer used. You would also need to fill the bolt slot in the stock, and cut a new one on the other side. If it is a newer gun where it has the relieved bold body, it can be used either right handed or left handed. If it is an an older gun without the bolt recess you would need a new bolt body. You would need a new bolt handle and bolt head. Then there is the problem with the loading port as mentioned above. All in all this is major work and not something you can do in an average workshop. You would have the added expense of having the work done. With all the tons or right handed actions out there, I would say you would be money ahead to just trade or sell your action and get another one. I am sure there is a ton of left handed people that have right handed actions that would gladly trade you .

savagehenry

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Fred (SSS) has changed right handed guns to left handed, it can be done in reverse. There is much more to changing it over than just parts.

Fist you would need to cut a slot in the back of the tang for the bolt to clear, and fully close. Then you would need to fill the slot on the other side of the tang that is no longer used. You would also need to fill the bolt slot in the stock, and cut a new one on the other side. If it is a newer gun where it has the relieved bold body, it can be used either right handed or left handed. If it is an an older gun without the bolt recess you would need a new bolt body. You would need a new bolt handle and bolt head. Then there is the problem with the loading port as mentioned above. All in all this is major work and not something you can do in an average workshop. You would have the added expense of having the work done. With all the tons or right handed actions out there, I would say you would be money ahead to just trade or sell your action and get another one. I am sure there is a ton of left handed people that have right handed actions that would gladly trade you .
    thanks for all the responses. I have some ads up in other places looking for a trade. Haven't had any good bites yet... Most are wanting to trade for a remington 710/770 and i am not interested in those. Would rather stick with the savage.

I think most of us Southpaws on here will say that LH Savages are much harder to find for us, and there are plenty of nice RH Savages for you to buy that will work fine for you either way. It should be no problem to sell that rifle or trade it for a RH Savage you would like.
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.

savagehenry

Quote Originally Posted by SFLEFTY
    I think most of us Southpaws on here will say that LH Savages are much harder to find for us, and there are plenty of nice RH Savages for you to buy that will work fine for you either way. It should be no problem to sell that rifle or trade it for a RH Savage you would like.

what do you think it would be worth for an outright sale? Excellent condition with wood stock. Cheap 4X32 scope.

Basic Member

i would be more interrested in the action itself, rather than an entire rifle. As far as price, what kinda trigger is on it?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

savagehenry

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97
    i would be more interrested in the action itself, rather than an entire rifle. As far as price, what kinda trigger is on it?
    not accutrigger

kslefty

Bought the exact same gun in .270 2 years ago from a local guy for $150 and yes it was a good deal for me. I figure you can expect $300 for your gun give or take $50.

helotaxi

savagehenry- What part of the country are you in?

savagehenry

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    savagehenry- What part of the country are you in?
    southeast. Birmingham, AL at the moment... i am often in west Tn as well.