Thread: Savage 220 accuracy issues

Basic Member

Savage 220 accuracy issues

Guys I am an avid savage fan, have several savage centre fires from model 10's, 12's in LRPV and F Class. I do not believe there is a better out of the box shooter than savage. That being said I recently purchased a mod 220 20 gauge slug gun for an upcoming hunt to Illinois. I fitted it with a leupold vari-x 3 and new Burris sig series z rings. I have checked everything and tried Rem accu-tip, hornady sst, and fed sabot slug. I am not getting good results at all. 4-5 in groups at 100 yds. I know this gun will do better, has anyone had these type of results. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am a long time shooter and avid reloader but this slug gun thing is all new to me. Help please.

Thanks,
    Dave

Basic Member
    I have a 220. The 220 really benefits from cooling the barrel between shots, AND consistent pressure on the stock. Mine ONLY likes the accutip and the cheap Winchester slugs from Walmart in the 15 round box (and it cost a bloody fortune to figure that out).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Be careful of what you wish for, and always be mindful of what others are trying to accomplish

JCalhoun
    I have an old Ithaca slug gun that likes the Brenneke slug quite well. If they have them in 20ga. you may want to give them a try. In the meantime you should check that action screws are staying snug and the scope & mounts are good.

Westcliffe01
    You definitely need to be sure your grip is right for a slug gun. Do you shoot a muzzleloader ? Because it is a similar technique. The stock needs to be firmly in your shoulder and the off hand needs to be pulling the rifle back into that shoulder.

The bullets are relatively heavy and slow, so if the rifle is not held in a consistent and firm manner the likelihood is good that the muzzle will move before the bullet exits the barrel.

The "only" buck I shot so far with mine was a head shot at 120 yards (he went into a "face off" position pointed straight at me and pawing the ground).

I agree that the ammo is completely ridiculous in price and I have been trying to figure out a way to load my own brass shells.

hickhall
    my 220 didn't like the federals or the hornady i settled on the 2 3/4 accu-tips with excellent results. i let mine cool and run a bore snake through it after 3 rounds

Plastic from Sabo's destroys accuracy fast... I clean the plastic out every 5 shots with Brownells plastic remover or Shooters Choice W/MC7. I went with the 2 3/4 Hornady SST's for less recoil. Flinching destroys accuracy faster.
    Savage: 243 Win, 250 Savage, 25-06, 260AI, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 30-06 AR-15: 6.8 SPC II, 22LR, 223 Service, 556 Carbine TC Encore: 6.8 SPC, 30-06

Make sure the front scope base screw isn't bottoming out on the barrel. I've also noticed that I can't do my usual "rear bag squeeze" while shooting. Not sure exactly why, but if I try to squeeze the bag to get the crosshairs where I want them it will cause wild shots.

When I stopped squeezing the rear bag, shots go right where they should. I use the Rem. accutips 2 3/4" exclusively. Oh, I also bedded the front pillar/recoil lug with Devcon.

I tried every sabot slug I could find in 2 3/4" and they all grouped like yours,except for the "copper solids",just over 1", but at $20 for a box of 5 that got expensive real quick. The next closest was the Whinchesters at around 2.5" @ 100.
    Savage says to use 3" Win. but my shoulder doesn't like the magnums so I'll setlle on the 2.5" groups. I don't have many shots over 60-70 yards where I hunt so I called it good to go.
    Should have saved close to $800 (gun,scope,rings bases) and stuck with my Ithica 37, 16guage with the Foster slugs, shot about the same at that distance.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Thanks to everyone for the replies, going to do an extensive clean and change the hold and see where it goes from here. I will check back with the results.

Dave