Thread: Suggestions

chestsprings

Suggestions

Suggestions

« on: Today at 03:07 AM »

Have a savage target action, 6br, 26 inches long, .900 at muzzle.

Going to put a Sightron SIII, 8 X 32 X56 on it for fun shooting 100 to 1000 yds.

Going to use Burris 30mm Z rings with inserts.

Since the scope is 56mm need info on height of rings.

If anyone has this combination, can you give me info? What height of rings to use, high, or extra high.

What base, was not thinking of a Picatinny type, but a two piece type.

also your opinion of reticles...............the 2MOA, or crosshairs, etc.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Mel12
    Just recieved my 6br on a target action like yours. Almost same bbl but a 28". I put a sightron 10-50x60 on it with an egw one piece 20 moa base. I bought "high" burris signature zee rings and installed them with the 0 inserts. I have about 1/8 on an inch from the bottom of the bell to the barrel. Therefore a 56mm bell like you have a tad more clearance so you wont need extra high rings.

I got a fine cross hair scope and im glad that I did, that 6br shoots groups tighter than ive ever seen, so I'm glad I can aim as precisely as I can. The sightron scopes with high magnification have lots of elevation and windage adjustment for long range shooting.

You said you were wanting a 2 piece base? I prefer 1 piece bases myself. Egw offers 3 grades of 1 piece bases 2 aluminium and a steel, the steel one is over a hundred dollars, witch is the one I bought.

Good Luck.

Basic Member
    plus one with what mel12 just said. the picatinny base would offer advantages on scope placement and ring location on the base as well.
    i personaly see no problem with the aluminum bases. but thats a personal call.

chestsprings
    mel12, yobuck,

just the info. i needed.........now I know the ring heights to buy.

thank you both very much.

the base decision was an iffy....could go one way or another...........

I think I'll serious think of the base you two recommended.

one other question...........recently I've been leaning to a cross hair, or the target dot, with the 1/8 inch clicks..........

did you consider a target dot since the dot is pretty small ?

again thanks for the info.

Mel12
    Yes I did consider it the sightrons have a 1/8th min dot, that is pretty small. I reallly wanted one and even tracked someone that had one down to look through one. The only thing that stopped me from buying the dot is that its only 1/8 of a minute at maximum power on the scope when you go to ten power its like .5 of a minute. So since I was buying a 50x power scope i was worried that here in Illinois with our summer humidity there would be more times the scope was set between 30x and 40x to combat heat mirage and convection, therefore giving me a bigger dot.

However you stated you wanted the 8x by 32x model that would give you the 1/8 in dot at max power of 32x I believe. Maybe someone can chime in and confirm my thoughts.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chestsprings View Post
    mel12, yobuck,

just the info. i needed.........now I know the ring heights to buy.

thank you both very much.

the base decision was an iffy....could go one way or another...........

I think I'll serious think of the base you two recommended.

one other question...........recently I've been leaning to a cross hair, or the target dot, with the 1/8 inch clicks..........

did you consider a target dot since the dot is pretty small ?

again thanks for the info.
    again, reticle choice is a personal thing. how you intend using it is a major factor in deciding.
    i personaly prefer a dot over a cross hair. but thats me and i do own scopes with each.
    today the amount of choices are almost mind boggeling. valid arguments can be made for
    any of them. lately i have found i prefer some type of milldot syesem. to the point that i find myself
    sending old scopes back to leupold for reticle changes to the varmit hunter reticle.
    dialing scopes for elevation changes has been taking place for many years. it is the single thing
    responsible for successful long range hunting above all others.
    that said it can at times be a pita in addittion to being a problem causer at least for some.
    for example if you ever take your br on a prairie dog hunt where you might get 100 or more shots
    on the same day at various distances you will quickly find out.
    do you want to shoot dogs or play around with your scope?
    by the time you get it dialed in guess what? he's gone, so now back to zero look for another and start over.
    on a near miss you can hold on the mark where the bullet hit and shoot again right now without touching the dial.
    that can be very important as seconds can sometimes be critical.
    as for 1/8 or 1/4 min clicks, for hunting i prefer 1/4" for target 1/8" would have an advantage.
    bottom line is it dont matter much. learn to dial in minits not clicks. 8 minits is 8 minits regardless.

chestsprings
    thanks for the info.............appreciate it.