Thread: Rookie Mistake...

borg

Rookie Mistake...

So here is what I did: I used the wrong powder (RL-19 instead of RL-15) while loading 168 gr SMK for my .308. I'm not sure when I made the switch, but the most I loaded was 42 grains of RL-19 and the least would have been 40.5 grains. Are those safe to fire, or do I have to destroy all the powder and start over?

The irony is that I had just read an article about how easy it is to make mistakes with powder, and I was actually sitting there thinking that everyone else in the world must be real dense if they can't tell the difference between two different cans of powder. While thinking these thoughts I set the RL-15 down on my left and unwittingly took the can of RL-19 from my right and started loading with it. (I use a scoop to load, but I weigh each charge.)

The biggest mistake is assuming that you are so much smarter and more observant than everybody else. Pride goeth before the fall. This is a lesson learned.

Re: Rookie Mistake...

If you're sure you loaded with the RL-19, pull the bullets, dump the powder and load with the correct powder - you may have to neck size the cases. The powder you dumped is still good. If I was really sure about which powder was which, I'd dump it back in the can and save it for later use.

If you're just the slightest bit unsure of which is/was which, dump the powder into your flowerbed and make sure never to have two cans of powder on the bench at the same time.

Easy mistake to make and one I've made myself.
    12 FLV 204 Ruger

I don't see RE19 on any 308 list, ???????????
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Bad Water Bill

Borg You are lucky you remembered. It could have been a BAD day at the range.

borg

xhogboss -- I don't have a clue where I made the switch, except that the first round was definitely loaded with 15 and the last was definitely loaded with 19, but I know the las wasn't the only one that was misloaded. There are minor details of moronic stupidity that I left out of my tale, such as thinking, "Damn, this RL-15 really goes fast. It's almost half gone already."

Dennis -- Same here. I would really like to not have to destroy it, but I have no choice if I can't find any safe load data. It's only ten or so rounds, but they cost money just the same. I also have sentimental reasons. I love Reloader 19. That's why I bought the 15 to try in my .308.

BBB -- No doubt.

mopar440

if you dont know dump it its not worth it. just pull the bullet and save everything but the powder how many rounds did you load is worth an action and or barrel and or trip to the hospital dont think so

borg

Quote Originally Posted by mopar440
    if you dont know dump it its not worth it. just pull the bullet and save everything but the powder how many rounds did you load is worth an action and or barrel and or trip to the hospital dont think so
    I did.

amadjuster

RL-19 is a slower burning powder and I don't think you can put enough of it into a .308 case to get in trouble, espcially with a 168 gr. bullet. I am not that familiar with the RL powders, but I know the extruded powders get larger as they get slower so they really fill up a case. I remember you could practically load a .270, .280 or 30/06 with 4831 by dipping the cases into the powder and filling them up and still not have any pressure problems. I don't recommend it but I don't think you can get enough RL-19 into a .308 to exceed pressures with a 168 gr. bullet. I alos don't think it would be classified as a very accurate load, either. This is just not the right powder - case combination. If you also load for handguns, PLEASE keep the Bullseye a LONG way away from your rifle stuff!!

Forester

I too believe you could not get enough in the case to hurt anything, but I would pull them anyway.

I keep only one powder on the bench at a time, and I use a dry erase marker to write the powder type on my powder dump. That way I have a check and a double check that the powder I want, is the one I have.

borg

I don't want to get a bullet stuck. Will it happen? Probably not. Pulled the damn things anyway. Now it's all mixed togther ready for fertilizer. I briefly wondered what would happen if I loaded the mix, but I would need to know a lot more about powder before I'd do anything like that. I assume it would work just fine.

BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I'LL DO IT. I just assume that it would work, hypothetically speaking. More or less the same grain size and shape. Regardless, I am dumping it.

dcloco

Good choice. Why take the chance with life/limb/eye and equipment?

firemachine69

I'd shoot them. Just for shits and giggles.

On a related note, I'm looking at shooting lead 160gr. RNFP out of my .308, and my Lyman's manual is listing about half-capacity (20gr.'ish versus 40gr.'ish), compared to similar FMJ's.

You won't get in trouble with it. Your groupings will most likely suck, however.