Thread: 257 Roberts short action, center feed?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

257 Roberts short action, center feed?

I have a very clean left hand 7mm-08, built on a round back, accutrigger, action with center feed. I am currently looking for a pair of barrels in 243 and 308, but would eventually like to buy a McGowen or Shaw barrel in 257 Roberts. It would be a nostalgia trip down memory lane, as my B-I-L was a big fan of the cartridge back when I was a high school kid in the '60s. He also shot a super custom 25-06 but that is another story.

For now, can I expect the Bob to feed from a center fed mag set up for 51mm cartridges? I know that most folks recommend building Bobs on long actions in order to seat the bullets out further, but I'm just contrary enough to stick with the short action I already have. Besides, if I built with a long action I would move up to a 25-06 or 257 weatherby.

If feeding proves problematic, can I get another 308 magazine and trim it to fit? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks all. Since joining here a few weeks back I have almost spent more time (and money) on Savages than in the last 20 years combined!

Otony
    Last edited by Otony; 03-18-2013 at 05:47 AM.