Thread: 257 Roberts short action, center feed?

Basic Member

257 Roberts short action, center feed?

I have a very clean left hand 7mm-08, built on a round back, accutrigger, action with center feed. I am currently looking for a pair of barrels in 243 and 308, but would eventually like to buy a McGowen or Shaw barrel in 257 Roberts. It would be a nostalgia trip down memory lane, as my B-I-L was a big fan of the cartridge back when I was a high school kid in the '60s. He also shot a super custom 25-06 but that is another story.

For now, can I expect the Bob to feed from a center fed mag set up for 51mm cartridges? I know that most folks recommend building Bobs on long actions in order to seat the bullets out further, but I'm just contrary enough to stick with the short action I already have. Besides, if I built with a long action I would move up to a 25-06 or 257 weatherby.

If feeding proves problematic, can I get another 308 magazine and trim it to fit? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks all. Since joining here a few weeks back I have almost spent more time (and money) on Savages than in the last 20 years combined!

Otony
    Last edited by Otony; 03-18-2013 at 05:47 AM.

You could always chamber for the .250-3000. Almost identical performance from a true short action cartridge. I have 2 250s built on savage actions and they will out run my brothers bob by 100 fps with 100 grain bullets.

palerider338
    Quote Originally Posted by Otony View Post
    I have a very clean left hand 7mm-08, built on a round back, accutrigger, action with center feed. I am currently looking for a pair of barrels in 243 and 308, but would eventually like to buy a McGowen or Shaw barrel in 257 Roberts. It would be a nostalgia trip down memory lane, as my B-I-L was a big fan of the cartridge back when I was a high school kid in the '60s. He also shot a super custom 25-06 but that is another story.

For now, can I expect the Bob to feed from a center fed mag set up for 51mm cartridges? I know that most folks recommend building Bobs on long actions in order to seat the bullets out further, but I'm just contrary enough to stick with the short action I already have. Besides, if I built with a long action I would move up to a 25-06 or 257 weatherby.

If feeding proves problematic, can I get another 308 magazine and trim it to fit? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks all. Since joining here a few weeks back I have almost spent more time (and money) on Savages than in the last 20 years combined!

Otony
    Yeah but it's fun spending the bucks and very satisfying to have an accurate rifle without having to take out a second mortgage.

Team Savage
    The 257 Roberts is based on the 7x57 case, you may not be able to extract the heavier (long) bullets.

Basic Member
    Yes, it is based on the 7mm, but factory loaded cartridges have an overall length meant for short magazines. The heaviest bullet commonly found is 120 grains, not the 175 grains of a heavy 7mm slug.

All Remington 700 and 722 rifles in 257 Roberts were built on the short action, BTW. So it is sort of the norm. Often, custom 257 rifles are built using long actions so that the cartridge can be hand loaded to a longer overall length, making for a bit more powder capacity, but factory rounds are short.

Basic Member
    So, any suggestions gents?

sinman
    I would say go for it, it should work fine for what you want it to be. If you end up with feeding problems and want to go to a long action take your barrel and have it rechambered to a Roy or something.

ADK_Matt
    Hi Guys, I am new to the forum but am a big 257 Roberts fan. I am just a deer hunter and have not built any rifles. I don't reload yet but am getting equipped to start soon. I recently special ordered a 257 Roberts from Effie Sullivan through the Savage "custom shop". I asked if the rifle could be built on the 110 or 116 long action and Effie recommended the model 11 in that she stated that the Savage short actions ara actually a mid-length, longer than most other manufacturers short actions. I am setting up the rifle this weekend with Leupold VX3 and Talley mounts. I will post some pictures later this weekend. Anyway, everything I had read suggested building this round on a long action but Savage advised against it...turns out I am thrilled with the Model 11 if it shoots as good as it looks and handles!

gpb11
    I find ADK_Matt's comments to be very interesting. I too always thought that the Savage short action (SA) was too short for the 257 Roberts. Upon reading ADK_Matt's comments I measured a spare magazine box I have for a Stevens 200 308 and found that the box has an internal dimension of almost 3 inches. Checking my Hornady and Sierra load books indicates that that magazine box should be able to easily handle the listed max cartridge overall lengths (COL) listed for 257 Roberts. A quick look at and measurement of the receiver port indicates that it should be able to extract and eject loaded cartridges close to 3 inches long.

This would appear to open up the Savage SA for use for sub 30 caliber X57 cartridges such as the 6mm Remington, 257 Roberts and probably the 7X57 Mauser. Unfortunately the 8X57 Mauser will mostly likely be too long.

ADK_Matt: Thanks for the info, let us know how the rifle works.

Basic Member
    ADK_Matt,

I knew about the action (and magazine) length from speaking to Effie a few years ago, but I appreciate the confirmation, as I'm sure others here do as well.

I guess I will give Effie another call and see which mag box they use!

Thank you!

Otony

ADK_Matt
    Some pictures for you guys...

gpb11
    Nice looking rifle. Let us know how it shoots.

ADK_Matt
    Gpb11 she shoots as good as she looks. Took her out today 37 degrees here in VT, wind 10 mph +/- and gusty at times. Factory ammo Hornady Custom 117 gr boat tail. Did not have a chance to bore sight so rested on the bench, pulled the bolt and eyed it at 25 yards and looked like it was close. First shot was about 2 1/2 inches right of bullseye, perfect height. I moved it 16 clicks left and the second shot was on right edge of bull. Four more clicks of left and I was dead center on bottom of bull.

Out to 50 yards, shots 4, 5 and 6 were sweet at 11/16 of an inch group.

Out to 100 yards, wind gusting left to right over 10 mph estimated. Three shot group of 1 and 1/16" just high and right of bull. After about 20 minutes, the wind subsided and I shot the 10th and final shot of the day dead above the bull. No doubt without breaking in or hand loads and right out of the box she is a shooter....should be sub MOA with the right load....and certainly is going to be my go to deer rifle next year. Here is the 100 yard group plus the single last shot dead over the bull.

gpb11
    Looks like the rifle has got a lot of potential. That was good shooting considering weather, brand new barrel and factory loads. Once the barrel is broken in and the loads are tailored to the rifle it should be a fantastic shooting rifle. Thanks for the report.