Thread: Another great day at the range 300 yards 1-3/4" five shot group 10-FCP-K

Another great day at the range 300 yards 1-3/4" five shot group 10-FCP-K

Our range will be shut down for a week for some down range electrical high line installation, so I went to the range early to shoot 20 rounds through my 10-FCP-K. I used a box of Federal Gold Medal Match with Sierra Match King 168 bullets, bipod, rear bag, prone, clear and calm wind.

I fired 10 rounds at 100 yards just to get my bearings and get in a shooting groove. Result-one ragged hole for rounds 6-10. Moved over to the 300 yard target and dialed in 1.1 mil high and 0.3 right from a month-ago session and fired off 5 rounds on the top left target. That group looked very good, so I shot 5 more at the center target, being more careful to load the bipod the same each round and to execute the fundamentals. The group tightened up to the 1-3/4" group in the photo below. I still need to work on consistency and learn to correct for wind (on another day), but this rifle and scope work very well together, even with a very green shooter.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe L; 03-17-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    Savage 10 FCP-K with Bushnell 3.5-21x50 scope, lots of SIG Pistols.

Very impressive.

stangfish
    I like the three shots touching up top. Got a picture of the rifle?

seanhagerty
    very nice. sounds like a future fclass shooter....

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    I like the three shots touching up top. Got a picture of the rifle?
    Actually that group is 2 shots with the paper torn out between them, not three shots. I wish!

Here is the rifle. I have a proper cheek pad on it now, however.

Thanks, gentlemen. Range will be shut down for a week. At least I had a good range session before we shut it down.

Joe

ODA 0121
    Joe,
    You should be getting tighter groups at 300...now if you are a new shooter, you're doing good.

If you are shooting it with the bipod, as in the photo, are you loading into your bipod correctly?

Also the AccuStock can be "tuned" via how much torque and result in better groups.

coolhandluke
    1 3/4" at 300? Sounds like a pretty good group to me

seanhagerty
    I'm with Luke, I wouldnt change too much about your shooting setup.

Sean

twsnow18
    +1 on excellent work. Who the hell is ODA 0121

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 0121 View Post
    Joe,
    You should be getting tighter groups at 300...now if you are a new shooter, you're doing good.
    If you are shooting it with the bipod, as in the photo, are you loading into your bipod correctly?
    Also the AccuStock can be "tuned" via how much torque and result in better groups.
    I'm a new shooter. Got my first centerfire bolt gun in November 2012. Probably less than 300 rounds through it. Maybe 60 total at 300 yards.
    On the bipod, I was not loading it consistently on the first 5 shots at 100 yards, resulting in some vertical. I was more careful on the second 5 at 100 yards and had one oblong hole, but still vertical. I tried to be consistent when I went to 300, but the last group was the best.

I torqued the action screws to 45 in-lbs in 10 in-lb increments the day before. How else would one do it?

Thanks for the input. I'm a fair calm day shooter, not so good in the wind.

Joe

ODA 0121
    Joe,
    There is an art to loading a bipod, you'll get it. Also think about shooting off of bags occasionally and see how you do.

On torquing the AccuStock, Savage, specifically Chris Bezzina, who did significant development on the AccuStock, put out a white paper on the specific technique to follow. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you it while I'm still here stateside.

ODA 0121
    Joe,
    PM received and white paper sent.
    I've got about 3 more weeks doing my instructor rotation at SOTIC, hope to hear how you progress.

ODA 0121--

White paper received and implemented. Here is the latest result...

Finally, after 10 days! We opened up the club range on Wednesday and it will be open over the Easter weekend. I got to go after work until sundown.

300 rounds through the CZ-75B and Kadet, then 70 through the SIG P226, and then, and then...
    10 rounds through the Savage 10 FCP-K at 300 yards. Great session, I think I should take some time off more often!!

Wind was 6-15 mph at 2 o'clock so I got some practice at 300. First too much correction (5 rounds group 1), then too little (two round group 2), then...just right (3 rounds group 3). That 0.1 mil dial makes a difference at 300 yards.

Other change is a switch from a fixed bipod to a swivel type. Considering my inexperience in the wind, for me, this was an excellent and educational session.

Joe

ellobo
    You did well grasshopper!

El Lobo

Another good day at the range today. Only 10 rounds, but all good, for me. Not as tight as earlier, but I think it is due to my vision. I need to put in some shorter scope mounts.

Joe

okie2

300 yd shooting

in this whole thread no one said what caliper you are shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by okie2 View Post
    in this whole thread no one said what caliper you are shooting.
    .308 Federal Gold Medal Match 168 Sierra Match King