Thread: ML10-11 misfire

tomlayden

ML10-11 misfire

Ok, new to this form...just bought a new ML10-11. Took it to the range to test fire, still need to buy a scope.
    Gun shop where I bought the gun recommended using SR4759 (42 grains) and the Hornady #4500, 300 grain bullet with the MMP orange sabot.. it was his preferred load, and what he uses in his ML10-11... ..

Notice that Savage recommended SR 4759 (43 grains) and a 250 grain bullet with the MMP short black sabot

Ok went to the range with Winchester 209 primers... loaded 42 grains of SR4759, and the 250 grian bullet and short black sabot that Savage supplies with the rifle... ok, excited nervous... ready to fire. Safety off, squeeze the trigger, hear a small tap ... nothing. Wait over a minute, open bolt, remove primer, see slight dent in primer...what going on? Replace primer, close bolt...try again... boom.. shot down range.. no, didn't hit taget...iron sights .... but it fired... first shot.

Ok, repeated load and fired another time... everything is fine... threw away primer with slight dent

Reloaded for third time, this time friend is shooting... same load...pulls trigger, hear a small tap again... nothing. Again remove primer and it has a very small dent, hardly hit. Replace primer, try again...everything works, sends a shot down range

Had difficult time removing primer after third shot...what's going on

Reloaded rifle with 42 grains of SR4759, except this time I used the MMP orange sabot with the 300 grain Hornady bullet (.458 dia)... reused the primer with the slight dent... boom, everything worked fine

So fired the rifle 4 times and had 2 misfires... not happy.... change primer and it fired ...reused one primer and it fired... all components and rifle are brand new

Friend though maybe I hadn't closed the bolt completely ... dry fired and found that the rifle wouldn't allow the trigger to be pulled unless the bolt is completely closed ( as you would expect), thus don't believe that

when I looked at the fired primers, they had major dents from being hit... so know the firing pin hit them hard, but had two primers with slight hits.. reused one and it worked fine... on third shot, primer was difficult to remove

What am I doing wrong... ever hear of something like this...like something is wrong with the firing pin?
    Plan to shoot again next week to see if this was a one time thing or not...very concerned after spending the money for this rifle... sure don't want this to happen when hunting

Help / recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks, Tom

Team Savage
    I've had similar probelms with Winchester 209 primers. I swithched to Federal 209 primers and the problem went away. Clean and lube your bolt. Check firing pin protrusion. If the they check out, switch primers.
    Last edited by jpdown; 03-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Basic Member
    I use Win 209 primers and they are about the only kind that work consistantly.
    Maybe clean the bolt with brake cleaner, could have some packing grease in there slowing things down.

tomlayden
    Well that's a good Idea...I'll spray on some lubricant/cleaned that was recommended by the dealer who sold me the Rifle.
    Notice that Savage say not to disassemble the bolt assembly in the owners manual.

When it hits the primer and it works .. it's obvious that the firing pin puts a big dent in the primer....and when it doesn't, there is just a small mark on the primer.

So I'll try the lube, and re-shoot again later next week ... as far as checking the firing pin protrusion...not sure how to do that

Thanks for the recommendation... I'll lets you know if it works

If not, guess I'll contact Savage... has anyone had good results talking to Savage?

Does this rifle have an Accutrigger ? If it does you may not be pulling straight back on the trigger.

tomlayden
    Well, took the bolt out of the ML10 and sprayed with cleaner from Outers.. wiped it down and reinstalled.
    Went out side, loaded a Winchester 209 primer and it fired fine... decided to run a total of 10 primer though the rifle and see if I had a misfire . Since it was cold out, and I was just shooting primer... and didn't have a coat on.. went to fast... around the 3 or 4 shot, I had a misfire .. just a click and nothing... notice the bolt seemed to jump... realized since I was going fast, I had not closed the bolt fully.. was surprised that the trigger would let the firing pin go. Re-cocked the rifle, ensuring bolt was completely closed.. same primer and it fired.

Reloaded another primer, cocked the bolt, but didn't completely close it..triggered fired and primer didn't .. small dent in primer... reinstalled, closed bolt completely, primer fired

Every Winchester 209 primer fired ... tried pulling Accutrigger at angles .. it still fired

It appears my friend was correct, didn't close the bolt completely. So my whole problem is the nut holding the gun..me.

Surprised , will be more carefully when cocking, never had a problem like this before , maybe because the rifle is new and the bolt is a little stiff

Thanks for all the suggestions ... now to decide on a scope to buy... but that's another thread