Thread: Is there one? Tactical Left Handed New style 111 DBM

TaylorLH

Is there one? Tactical Left Handed New style 111 DBM

Hey guys,

Totally new to the scene, so i figured id go to the forums for help.

Okay so i have been digging around for a couple hours so ill just ask.

I am looking for a tactical stock such as the Choate but cant find one to fit.

Its the 111 trophy in 270win ... so im pretty sure its long action

Its Left-handed
    Long action
    Stagger feed mag
    new style bolt release (on front of trigger guard)

Is there a drop in tactical stock or am I looking at a custom stock?
    Anyone used the Boyd thumbhole stock? I just personally dont like the look but if its better for range shooting let me know.

Thanks.

ODA 0121
    If you like chassis;
    http://www.xlrindustries.com/Index.html

But doesn't the 111 have a tapered barrel or have you changed it?

TaylorLH
    I'm actually looking to replace the barrel as well. I just can find information on barrels not on stocks.

Do you think the tapered barrel is going to suffer as a temporary thing?

How does that effect the chassis?

ODA 0121
    I don't think your stock tapered barrel would give you any problems. I mentioned it because if you were going to use it for general hunting I personally would not put money into a "tactical" stock of any sort.

If you drop your receiver/barrel into a chassis system you should not have any problems, then when you change out the barrel later you would not have to worry about a specific contour channel of a traditional or tactical stock.

TaylorLH
    Yeah I dont know id say I may use it to hunt but I know I'll use it at the range regularly.

Are there less expensive chassis or no? I just don't think throwing a 500 dollar gun into a 1000 dollar chassis is the best idea. I could pump that money into a better rifle?

ODA 0121
    Most chassis systems are at 1K or more and for a range stick they are great. A couple of our newer rifle systems are utilizing them. Any of the better stocks (McM, HS, B&C and the custom guys) are going to be around 5 or 6 hundred and up to and over 1K.

When we build a rifle it goes this way;
    1. If you can't see it or don't like the way you see it...you can't hit it.
    2. If you are uncomfortable while in position your bones and muscles will tell you about it...you'll miss.
    3. Almost all OEM quality action and barrel combinations are more capable than the operator.

So in order of how much money you spend on a build it's;
    1. Optics.
    2. Stock or chassis.
    3. Action and barrel.

And just a P.S., If you are wanting a "range" gun or you're thinking about competitions later I wouldn't sink any money into a .270.
    Last edited by ODA 0121; 03-17-2013 at 09:16 AM.

TaylorLH
    Thanks for the crash course. I honestly just was looking for a cheap alternative for shooting at the range.

I think i just need to re-evaluate if im ready to honestly spend about 2000 on a new set up. I was trying to build a hybrid gun, when i should really leave my 270 for hunting, and move to something else strictly for range/long range shooting.

would you agree? also what should I be looking at to build my first longer range gun.

could i start with something built on a choate stock, and a 6-24x50mm, and a rifle with a decent heavy barrel?
    any caliber suggestions?

just been shooting around 200-300 yards and want to start building something to stretch it out a bit.

ODA 0121
    Taylor,
    I do agree with you, keep the .270 as a hunting rifle a good "general" hunting scope is not going to cost you an arm and leg.

I won't presume to tell you a cartridge, there are so many choices and proponents of each. I will mention the Choate stock because you have mentioned it a couple times...after you read and review you'll find most shooters will not recommend them. Look at some McMillan's and you'll find anything you desire!

Since you're starting out and know your direction you can read threads and posts at SniperCo http://www.snipercompany.com/forum/ there are real operators there that will try and help out all folks with questions and opinions and not belittle you like the other "sniper" web site. There are several benchrest sites also that get really down with it.
    Best of luck and Bon Route!