Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Savage 11VT

762X51

Quote Originally Posted by expfcwintergreen View Post
    762X51, have you taken the .223 VT to the range to try it out? The man who started this thread had some impressive groups with his the first time out, even with a 14-17 mph wind.
    No I haven't taken it to the range and those groups he posted are the reason I bought the rifle! It may indeed be incredibly accurate but if it won't feed all the rounds from the magazine I don't care how accurate it is. Is it too much to ask that a rifle be accurate AND work properly? Feeding and/or extraction problems seem to plague Savage rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by 762X51 View Post
    No I haven't taken it to the range and those groups he posted are the reason I bought the rifle! It may indeed be incredibly accurate but if it won't feed all the rounds from the magazine I don't care how accurate it is. Is it too much to ask that a rifle be accurate AND work properly? Feeding and/or extraction problems seem to plague Savage rifles.
    No excuses for the way you got the rifle or your past experiences...but are you going to return the rifle to Dicks or send it back to Savage?

expfcwintergreen
    762x51,

How many cartridges does the magazine hold? If four, just consider it a three shot magazine with one in the chamber. If you are a target shooter, it is better to shoot slow anyway to let the barrel cool down. If you are a hunter, your first shot will almost always be your best and hopefully it won't take more than two. If you are hunting dangerous animals, a bolt action .223 or .308 probably isn't a good choice anyway.

I'm just a target shooter, so I would be fine if it were a single shot as long as it is accurate.

i hope you find a solution that will let you be happy with your gun.

Wtlj
    Quote Originally Posted by 762X51 View Post
    I've been looking for a .223 varmint rifle and I've been considering something in the model 12 line up but when I saw this target and the price I hot-footed it down to the local Dick's. As my good fortune would have it they had an 11VT in 223. Cursory examination said it was just your basic Savage, detachable magazine action. WRONG!!! When I got it home and started taking it apart to clean it I discovered where the cost cutting was made. First, the bottom "metal" isn't metal! It's plastic. It looks EXACTLY like my model 10 PC bottom metal but alas it's just plastic as is the trigger guard. Secondly the magazine set up LOOKS like Savage's normal detachable magazine set up but it's not...it uses Axis magazines! And the icing on the cake is that my new rifle, in typical Savage fashion, will not feed the last round out of the magazine unless I put upward pressure on the rear of the magazine. So far Savage is 1 for 4 with me; first model 10 Precision Carbine wouldn't eject properly, model 16 223 wouldn't feed but first 2 rounds from the magazine, latest model 10 5R Precision Carbine is way less than accurate but happily my stainless 223 Axis is superbly accurate! Anybody want to buy a new, unfired 11VT? $500 and it's yours.
    Not sure why you emphasize "metal" is it listed somewhere that its metal??? Most gun manufacturers are now using poly and plastic (ruger, savage, remington etc.) while you may think its cheap its been proven to stand the test of time and bring weight down on the rifle. On the magazine issue savage uses this same setups on other rifles other than the axis, some of their higher end models also. It sounds like you have a defective magazine as mine cycles perfectly with no issues time and time again. When buying a mass produced "value" rifle you cannot expect perfection. You already know savage will take care of the issue and it very well could've happened with a $2000 rifle.

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    No excuses for the way you got the rifle or your past experiences...but are you going to return the rifle to Dicks or send it back to Savage?
    Neither. I swapped the magazine from my 223 Axis and the one from the model 11 and it now functions properly. The Axis will feed flawlessly from either mag but the model 11 only likes one. Apparently the small manufacturing tolerances that vary from part to part are enough to keep one magazine from working in the model 11. I hate to think that a variance of just a few thousandths is all it takes to keep the mag from working and I hope the functioning magazine continues to work. Also for what it's worth I took the bottom metal from my model 10 Precision Carbine and it will replace the plastic bottom "metal" on the model 11 and allow you to use the detachable magazines with the metal base and metal front catch. Depending on how the rifle performs I may order the real bottom metal and mag.

Wtlj
    Very good to know! How much would it be to change the bottom to metal and buy the matching magazine? Are you thinking about keeping the rifle now!

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by Wtlj View Post
    Not sure why you emphasize "metal" is it listed somewhere that its metal??? Most gun manufacturers are now using poly and plastic (ruger, savage, remington etc.) while you may think its cheap its been proven to stand the test of time and bring weight down on the rifle. On the magazine issue savage uses this same setups on other rifles other than the axis, some of their higher end models also. It sounds like you have a defective magazine as mine cycles perfectly with no issues time and time again. When buying a mass produced "value" rifle you cannot expect perfection. You already know savage will take care of the issue and it very well could've happened with a $2000 rifle.
    The reason I emphasized "metal" in the term bottom metal is because that is the term commonly used when describing the magazine frame/floor plate and trigger guard of a rifle and the bottom "metal" just happens to be plastic on the model 11. I'm well aware that many makers use polymers for certain parts and they are indeed sometimes superior to their metal counterparts (see Ruger's abuse of their polymer mag for their American rifle on their website) The point I was making was that the plastic bottom "metal" on the model 11 looks EXACTLY like the metallic bottom metal found on say the model 10 Precision Carbine and others may want to know that it does in fact differ from what it appears to be. As far as Savage taking care of the issue we all know they have excellent customer service, I just wish that they had better quality control to get the rifle out right the first time.

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by Wtlj View Post
    Very good to know! How much would it be to change the bottom to metal and buy the matching magazine? Are you thinking about keeping the rifle now!
    It all depends on how it shoots.

expfcwintergreen
    BoilerUP wrote:

"1:9 will stabilize a tangent ogive match bullet in the 75-77gr range (Hornady 75gr HPBT, Sierra 77gr SMK, Nosler 77gr CC) but will be exceedingly marginal if not outright unusable for a VLD-style secant ogive bullet in the same weight range (75gr A-Max, Berger VLD)."
    =================================
    I just looked up secant ogive and tangent ogive here:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/balli...ogive-bullets/

Reading the description made my head hurt. I was an English major.

it's a good thing the world wasn't waiting on me to build the first rifle (or outhouse).

msummers
    Impressive group! Looked at one of these today, for $500 I may give it a shot.

expfcwintergreen
    I bought the Model 11 VT in .223 Remington today after I found some Hornady 75gr BTHP at a local store. Mine feeds and ejects fine.

I still have to buy a scope for a .308 and join a local gun club before I get to do any shooting.

Talked with a Sierra tech a while back about the 77gr in a 1-9 Savage. He said to be sure and shoot factory or hand loads at 300 yards +. If it is good at that distance then he said that particular barrel was probably good to go with the 77.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12