Thread: Model 12 VLP stock options??

Michigunner

Model 12 VLP stock options??

Hello... New guy here looking for some help with my savage...

I Model 12 VLP chambered in .204 Ruger and am looking at possibly restocking the rifle. It has a heavy Barrel and detachable box magizine. From the begining I really never liked the Factory Laminated stock... I am looking to make the gun more of a "walking around gun" rather than a bench gun. I would like to replace the stock and possibly shed some weight but want to stay away from the super light, flimsy, molded composite stocks.... The rifle is very accurate and I would also like to retain the accuracy.

I have tried looking online for differnt stock options but only found benchrest stocks that will fit this rifle. Any suggestions guys?? Looking for a traditional or even tactical look without getting something cheap and flimsy.

I have never restocked a rifle so quality stocks and their manufacturers are greek to me...

Thanks
    Jeff

Michigunner

Re: Model 12 VLP stock options??

Really? Know one here has any suggestions Options for me?

Thanks

cutter37372

Sorry,
    There just is not much available for the centerfeed short action guns. I'm having the same problem, lots of target/tactical type stuff. But, nothing in a walk around type. What I've done is take the factory tupperware and stiffened the forearm using the methods outlined elsewhere on this site. It does add weight.
    Do a search for forearm stiffening.

Cutter

kslefty

Look into buying a stevens for a walk around gun. My reasoning is this: the VLP model will be very nose heavy like a FV model with a light stock. You can buy a stevens for under $300 and a nice quality stock will cost about as much, plus you shed probably 4 pounds from the VLP weight, lose the glare from the stainless barrel, get a short barrel which is easier to manuever, what's not to like?

Senderofan

Not sure about the detachable magazine and all. You might want to give Kevin a call at Stockade Gun Stocks. He builds the stocks per order...I'm sre he'd have a solution for you. He just helped me spec out a stock for the rifle I'm currently building. The stock will be highly customized and yet cost significantly less than a McMillan I ordered a few years back for a different build. I'm speaking in terms of barrel channel and custom LOP.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Michigunner

Thanks guys... I appreciate the responses... What if I just wanted to get something composite/fiberglass etc instead of the laminate stock that comes with the gun? Lets say that weight wasnt my main concern but getting rid of the laminate stock was? Also, could I sell the Original Laminate stock? Is there a market for them?

Thanks again..

Jeff

ajlandis

+1 on calling Kevin. I don't know if he does stocks for the centerfeeds yet, but if he does, he'd be a good one to give you what you want. There is a good market for your stock. They are well built and fairly desirable.

Senderofan

If Kevin can't build the stock for the detachable mag. I would venture a guess he might have an idea who would. I had another discussion with him today on another matter...He's extremely easy to talk to and very helpful. I would say it's worth your time to call him....he's shared a ton of information with me in just a couple of phone calls.

Wayne

3fingervic

I hit you up on the MI sportsman. I'm 99% sure that Kevin from stockade can build a stock that you'll be happy with.

Michigunner

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingervic
    I hit you up on the MI sportsman. I'm 99% sure that Kevin from stockade can build a stock that you'll be happy with.
    Yep.. thanks.. I have a return call into Kevin as of this morning (He left me a voicemail initially). He said that all but a few of the stocks listed on his site can be made to fit my rifle!! Good news.. I am supposed to give him a call back in an hour or so to discuss.

Thanks!

3fingervic

Let us know how it goes. And as usual we will want to see pictures.

TNT Gun Finishing

Will you be selling the VLP stock?