Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 10 FCP HS Precision 308 help

Basic Member

Savage 10 FCP HS Precision 308 help

I just purchased the savage 19056 from buds last friday. I actually had the 10fp-sr in layaway and paid the restocking fee to get the HS precision for the tactical stock. The Savage 19056 is what I have been wanting for some time. I was super excited to find it back in stock last friday. Now to my disappointment there is a guy who left a reveiw a day after making my purchase who states he didnt recieve the tactical stock. He recieved a monte carlo stock by HS instead.

I have called savage and the CS rep told me that the part number of the stock for the model that I ordered is stock#106648. Can someone with the 10FCP HS Precision, the non 5R version goto the savage partsfinder website and put the serial number in and tell me what the savage part number is for the HS Precision Stock as listed on their website.

I called Buds and asked them to verify the same stock as pictured before shipping and they told me they wouldnt do that.

If i am spending a 1000.00 it is a big deal to me whether I get a Monte Carlo stock or a tactical stock. I appreciate your help.

Thanks, volt

bodywerks
    What's the help you need? I know what your issue is, and fully understand your frustration. If you didn't receive what you thought you'd receive then don't buy it. If you already took receipt of it through your ffl though, you are stuck. Best option is to sell the stock and then buy the stock you want. I have the HS precision tactical stock and i can tell you I'm not terribly impressed with it. I'm building on it, adding an integrated cheek and adjustable buttpiece, but when it's all said and done i think the choate custom tactical is just as good and not much heavier. To do it again I'd rather get the manners t4a, our of course the McMillan A5...

buds desc is incorrect waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many times,
    make sure you keep a copy of the website and dispute the item and send it back, DONT do the TFR, inspect it before,
    and make sure they do full refund including insurance.

go by the model # which is 19056, it should have HS precision stock, someone pls confirm this.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    I was wanting to hear from someone who had a savage w/ a factory supplied HS Precision Tactical stock to send me the savage part number for their rifle based on serial number. Its suppose to be searchable on the Savage arms website. I have the part number for the rifle that is supposed to be shipped to me and I was just wanting to confirm it to be the same. The part number was given to me from Savage Customer support. If they dont match I would prefer Buds not even ship, why they cant verify before they ship is beyond me. They told me that they have it in hand. It will probably be another month before I recieve because I will not finish the layaway for 2 weeks and it takes them another 2 weeks to ship.

I wish I had stayed with the FP-SR because it was $350 less than the HS rifle. Why spend more on a rifle because of a stock, specifically if it is something that I still have to change because I dont like. I thought of the 5R and fluting as a bonus but not why I purchased. I purchased because of the stock.

If i have to purchase a stock i will go with the Mcree G5 TMAG

Yes stockrex I have screen captures and transcriptions of all the conversations with Buds and Savage.

I am already tired of worrying about it. Guess I will just wait and see what shows up.
    Thanks for listening to me vent :)
    volt

stangfish
    Man, I thought you wanted this 18139

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Man, I thought you wanted this 18139
    I would like the savage part number for the HS stock off the model 18139. Can be found here if you have a serial number

thanks

Savage told me today that the part number of the stock for the gun I was purchasing is 106648. I have not been able to confirm if this is the same part number used on the 110/10 FCP HS Precision listed on their site.
    Last edited by volt2amp; 02-26-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: adding part number

das_napeth
    106648 is the stock number for the "tactical" one that you are thinking of.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by das_napeth View Post
    106648 is the stock number for the "tactical" one that you are thinking of.
    Thank You, this puts my mind at ease.

bodywerks
    Just because that is the savage stock number doesn't mean they are not calling a different HS stock that part number. Two people over on the hide ordered a savage 5r HS precision and got a Monte Carlo style stock when they thought they were getting a tactical stock.

dondick
    I have a 10/110 hs precision. But it was bought off the wall and came in a different box. I got the shops display model at a discount.

bodywerks
    I just looked up my serial number for my 10 fcp that came with the HS tactical stock. Yes, the savage stock number is 106648, but the price of $405 doesn't jive at all with the price HS precision advertises for this stock (pst114). They want $451. I highly doubt savage is under selling this stock. My bet is if you order a 106648 you will get the savage variant of the pss001, which closer matches savage pricing (HS wants $396)
    I hope I'm wrong, but i doubt it. If i am wrong i know where I'm going to order my next HS precision tactical stock!

Basic Member
    I do not think they would change a stock and keep the same part number. That would be Jacked up. I am not sure what is going on with the guys at sniperhide and I will admit that is what got me worked up to begin with. I will wait and see if Savage CS is going to pull thru with these guys, I have heard good things about Savage which leads me to believe that they will make it right. I do have frustrations against myself because I spent months deciding on what I was going to purchase and at the last minute changed my mind. I really hope it didnt bite me in the butt.

volt

bodywerks
    You don't think they'd change a stock without changing the stock number, but you think they'd under sell HS precision by $50?

mrrabk
    I have the exact model as you, and if the part # by S/N is the 106648 it is the HS precision per their web site. I just verified mine by S/N and it is that P/N and is the tactical stock. HS web site, I think lists it as the pst114 or 112. Suffice it to say it matches Savages web site description and picture to a "T".
    As for the stock, some don't like it, but it fits me perfectly in LOP and palm swell. Heck, the first 20 rounds down the pipe on mione brand new had me grouping two 5 shot groups roughly 1/2"x1/2" when I was sighting in. It took exactly 2 3 shot groups with slight corrections then the 2 5 shot groups. Sent the last four rounds down range just for grins to finish off the box and it was still nuts on.
    Of course, when I got home to clean, is when I found a crack in the bolt head. Within 30 minutes, I had a return tag from Savage, shipped it off, and just learned today it is in route back with new bolt head, head space checked, function tested, test fired and cleaned. Savages customer service is fantastic, and the turn around time is phenomenal.
    Should have it back next week and will update on a thread I started about the bolt head crack discovery. Enjoy yours, it is a fantastic rifle and well built. Oh, just FYI, check your action screws for torque. I ran mine @ 60"/lbs per previous HS suggestions (actually they say 65) and will say that Savage had them at about 35. See what works for you, all rifles act a bit differently.

bodywerks
    You need to read three whole thread carefully and understand what's being said. Others have reported on another forum that they received a different HS stock than what is pictured on the savage website. It wasn't specifically this particular fcp, but rather the lrp 5r variant. It shows the same tactical stock as pictured for the fcp HD precision, yet upon receipt from their ffl discovered it came with a completely different, Monte Carlo style HS stock. After what was said in those threads the OP is concerned that he might also end up with the Monte Carlo stock. His concern is a valid one.

mrrabk
    bodywerks,

He asked if someone with the 10 FCP HS non 5r model could look up the HS stock # per Savages site. I am aware of other having issues with receiving rifles with other than the advertised stock. I also know that, to the best of my knowledge, Savages site does not show nor list the 19056. I assume it's a special order or vender special production. But I could be wrong here. I too would have a problem with receiving something other than what I was paying/paid for. There for I have no problem nor do I question his concern. It is a valid concern and completely reasonable.
    Not sure where I jumped off the track here, just trying to help.

bodywerks
    My argument is that just because savage's stock number for the rifle in question is 106648, doesn't mean that the vendor part number hasn't changed, nor does it guarantee that it is still the tactical stock. Only real way to know for sure is to call savage and all them to physically verify. They could very well have switched to the sporter stock and still called it pn 106648. The price they want for it from savage is less than the HS precision tactical stock price, by a good margin. Doesn't jive. If i am in fact wrong then we should spread the word, telling people to order their HS precision tactical stock through savage to save themselves $50.
    Last edited by bodywerks; 02-28-2013 at 06:34 PM.

mrrabk
    Point taken. All I can say is that the # for the stock listed for mine is that exact # @ that price from savage and it is the HS precision tactical as shown on their site for the 10 fcp HS . I agree, order it from them if you get warm body verification. Price wise, it's not unheard of for a vendor to sell lower than the supplier due to quantity orders, relationship, etc. We see it all the time on tires as a mater of fact as well as other service items. It seams fishy on it face as far as pricing, but stranger things have happened. Researching the model # he referenced from Bud's and looking deeper, it seems that model is no longer offered by Savage, at least through their site. funny that all references to the 5-R threaded barrel version pops up around the 2008-2010 time frame. So, if it's been discontinued, are these new old stock? Are they being put together from parts at the vendor level and not at Savage?
    Maybe we're on to a price savings here and we need to keep it between us and our friends. LOL

Basic Member
    My argument is that just because savage's stock number for the rifle in question is 106648, doesn't mean that the vendor part number hasn't changed, nor does it guarantee that it is still the tactical stock
    The whole idea of having a part numbers is so you can be sure you get like for like parts. I would expect savage to sell less than HS Precision listed price. As of matter of fact I would expect anyone who sells HS stocks to be less than the manufacture. Manufactures must sell at MSRP. If they dont then they may be potientially undercutting their resalers which would be a no no. Also why buy from Savage when you could order the stock from stockys for 380.00 or wait and catch them for 350.00 around Christmas :)

My .02
    volt

bodywerks
    Looks like i might be wrong. They guy that started the whole fiasco just got contracted by savage and was told he did in fat get the wrong stock. So it looks like i know where to order hs precision stocks from :)

Basic Member
    I finally recieved my rifle last thursday and yes it came with the HS tactical stock. This weekend, I took it to range and used some cheap Magtech ammo to site in scope to paper. After about 10 rounds, I ran couple of patches down the tube and then switched to Federal Gold Medal Match with 168 SMK. I did notice it was considerably harder to chamber a round with the federal. After 3 shots in the same hole I had the fourth in the chamber and they called to clear the range. I went to eject the unfired round and while it did throw the brass it left the bullet in the barrel. It took considerable effort for me to get this bullet removed. I have since tried to put another round in but the force required is just to great. I do not want to take another chance of getting another round stuck in the rifle. I have been given alot of advice from guys at the range but it seems to differ. Some say headspace, some say needs reamed. I do have a mic and Hornady OAL guage and bullet comparator, but not sure what I am suppose to be getting. The Fed GMM rounds measure 2.800 end to end. What do the members here think?

thanks,
    volt

mrrabk
    Volt,

My FCP HS also had a very "tight" chamber/throat/head space as compared to my other rifles. These seem to be built just a bit tighter in these areas for accuracy.
    Use your tools to gauge your head space and land depth. Just for info, my two .308 (one being the FCP HS) are very different in areas. One has a head space (using fire formed cases) of 1.628 and the HS is 1.627. Not much difference here, but the distance to lands is very different. The HS is .068 shorter to the lands than the other. Now, looking @ FGGM 168's, I found their COAL 2.800, but when measuring to the ogive, these factory rounds wind up .006 off the lands in the HS and .062 off the lands for the other. Big difference and it would be even conceivable that your chamber is even tighter/shorter causing a jamming of the bullet into the lands which can raise pressures a lot!
    Now, the rifle should head space and feed factory stuff, so you might want to call Savage, They are great to work with. But before you do, do the measurements and verify that the rounds weren't seated short on the bullet depth and cases where sized right. Doing the foot work up front strengthens your case, but more importantly, gives you the info you will need to load rounds for each specific rifle and get the most accuracy.
    Hope this helps, keep us informed. I'm curious what your free bore length is compared to factory rounds of the same weight, bullet style. Just remember, "hunting" rifles are set up "loose" so the money shot is not compromised and precision rifles are set up to wring every bit of accuracy....but this requires us to be interactive with knowing our equipment.

bodywerks
    Sounds like you got one of the short throat savages. Send it back. FGMM 168 ammo is the standard by which accuracy is judged when it comes to savage rifles and there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to chamber it. I'll have to look at my 168 data again, but I'm pretty sure i loaded them about .015 off the land and had an oal around 2.810.
    My current go to load is the 155 scenar under 45.1gr varget and i am loading them to 2.820 which is about .008 off the lands.

Check the headspace with a go gauge. If this comes out to be OK (amd I'm fairly positive that it will), then I have little doubt that the bullet is engaging the rifling (jammed) too early probably due to the freebore being too short (at least for the "stuck" rounds). Fed. GMM uses a sealer on the bullet in the neck. My guess is that the leade is so short that the action of jamming the bullet into the lands was sufficent to "break" that seal and thereby allowing it to be pulled from the case when you pulled back on the bolt to remove the cartridge.

Should be easy to determine by using your Hornady OAL gauge and find the length to just touch the lands...
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member
    Using my oal gauge I think the factory GMM rounds are going .014 into the lands. so it looks like the longest i could load a SMK would be 2.786.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast