Thread: Stagger feed mag conversion

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Stagger feed mag conversion

Anyone have a tried & proven way to change out an older stagger feed to a newer stack / center feed? I'm tired of dealing with mine. I've adjusted it to death. I have had it out & apart enough times to know it intimately & I'm tired of dealing with it.

I called Savage a while back & the young lady mentioned something to the tune of "that's why we went ot the newer mag"...
    The one I have has developed a mind of it's own. I think its become self aware....
    Every time I "adjust" it, it finds a new way to bind of hinder cartridge feed.

Anyone got anything on this?

Or is it as simple as popping out the stagger feed mag, aquire a stack feed & pop it in a new stock that'll accomodate a stack feed?
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 03-16-2013 at 09:55 PM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Anyone?....
    Anyone?.....

Or will I be taking it apart & designing some creation with epoxy & sheet metal strips?....

Get the new mag, "L" clip, and stock. Keep your Savage adjustment tool (Dremel) handy as you'll need to open up the mag opening.

Basically you'll be rounding out the areas where your current slots are now. The ones that hold you SF magazine to the action.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    You sound as if you've performed this operation before.

I had a feeling it was something like you described but having never performed it, I thought it best to inquire...

Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Anyone have a tried & proven way to change out an older stagger feed to a newer stack / center feed? I'm tired of dealing with mine. I've adjusted it to death. I have had it out & apart enough times to know it intimately & I'm tired of dealing with it.

I called Savage a while back & the young lady mentioned something to the tune of "that's why we went ot the newer mag"...
    The one I have has developed a mind of it's own. I think its become self aware....
    Every time I "adjust" it, it finds a new way to bind of hinder cartridge feed.

Anyone got anything on this?

Or is it as simple as popping out the stagger feed mag, aquire a stack feed & pop it in a new stock that'll accomodate a stack feed?
    I talked to Kevin Rayhill about the conversion a few years ago after running out of Prozac trying to get my 250 Imp to feed from a staggered mag. I recall him mentioning something about machining but he didn't elaborate on what or how.

It was just after that I figured out how it get the short fat fart to feed so I didn't pursue it any further.

Ya might want to give him a call.

Bill

You sound as if you've performed this operation before.

I had a feeling it was something like you described but having never performed it, I thought it best to inquire...

Thanks
    I did, but for a different reason. I was trying to turn a stagger feed action into a 338 Edge repeater for a 3.9" round. When I was finished, I noticed my new center feed looked exactly the same.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    As the luck of the Irish would have it, It worked fine today. it was originally a .270, now a 25.06. Same cartridge, different bullet. Im tired of adjusting it every time I pull the action out of the stock. Something different moves each time & it snags or grabs a different place on the brass or bolt head or the forward baffle.
    Yesterday I got out Special Tool No. 276-SOL, the official magazine adjustment tool (16" long flat blade screwdriver) & went to work on it.

Today it was happy.

Go figure.

stangfish
    AAAAaaaahhhh! It was the operator. HMMMmmm

Basic Member
    Not sure if this will help but I recently put a Stevens 200 4.4" action with centerfeed into a an earlier Savage 12FV 4.25" stock that was originally a stagger feed. I moved the front action screw hole .139" forward and notched the rear screw area for the tab on the centerfeed mag. I made a shim about.310 to fill in the space in front of the magazine and used 1/4" rubber shims to take up the slack on the sides of the magazine. It fits nice and snug in the stock and rounds feed smoothly into the chamber.

Basic Member
    I think he wants to go the other direction, make a centerfeed from a stagger feed rifle.

Basic Member
    Same steps would apply except he wouldn't have to relocate his front action screw hole. He would just need to get a centerfeed internal magazine and applicable parts. The guns I used were short actions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    AAAAaaaahhhh! It was the operator. HMMMmmm
    I was waiting for that.....

By the way, It looks like the older 110 action needs the big rectangular hole in the bottom opened up just a snootch. (1 snootch = 2.37 tads).
    With that in mind, grabbed a few of my favorite files, channel locks, sandpaper & a few dummy rounds. I spent around 45 minutes examining the situation & modifying the old mag.
    Works like a charm now. I believe it was a combination of little things causing me to get an ulcer.
    Until next time.

maxl
    If you are just shooting from the bench try a score-high single shot follower from midway, around 10 bucks I think, Only single shot but works well shooting paper.

maxl

palerider338
    I was waiting for that.....

By the way, It looks like the older 110 action needs the big rectangular hole in the bottom opened up just a snootch. (1 snootch = 2.37 tads).
    With that in mind, grabbed a few of my favorite files, channel locks, sandpaper & a few dummy rounds. I spent around 45 minutes examining the situation & modifying the old mag.
    Works like a charm now. I believe it was a combination of little things causing me to get an ulcer.
    Until next time.
    Metric or Imperial tads and snootches ???????

Basic Member
    Tads & snootches are avoirdupois......

I think.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxl View Post
    If you are just shooting from the bench try a score-high single shot follower from midway, around 10 bucks I think, Only single shot but works well shooting paper.

maxl
    SIngle shot / bench shooting is typical for a SUnday of OCW ammo testing but there are times when I like to load the mag & shoot rapid fire.
    Or as rapid as a bolt action will let me.

palerider338
    Tads & snootches are avoirdupois......

I think.
    Tabernac......I was afraid of that mon ami.