I will start by saying that I've only been reloading for 2 years and my latest rifle (model 10 LE FCP HS Precision stock)is my first jump into long range shooting so my reloading techniques and equipment have needed some upgrades. I measured my chamber by taking 3 cases and full length sizing them(trimming,chamfer.etc.) then slotting the neck with 4 slots from a dremel cutoff wheel. I used a sinclair bullet comparator to measure 3 bullets(Sierra 168gr HPBT) so that I knew that they had the same base to ogive length and seated them lightly into the modified cases. I then carefully put them into the chamber and closed the bolt and carefully opened it up and retrieved the case which now had the bullet seated to the lands. I repeated this measurement 3 times and averaged it out, the base of cartridge to ogive (the calipers were zeroed on the comparator) measured 2.109". The total overall length of the cartridge from base to tip average was 2.808". I repeated this test in the exact same manner with 175gr HPBT and the results were; base to ogive average 2.110" and the COAL average was 2.816". All of my manuals have the COAL at 2.800" but I was expecting to have to exceed that to get the bullet closer to the lands. I am using a Forster bullet seating die so I'm more interested in the base to ogive measurement than COAL. Did I somehow mess these chamber measurements up? Is this normal for a Savage chamber? I guess I was expecting something more like 2.950".

Steve