Thread: New Axis SR .223 Owner! :adoration:

6x47L Shooter

Thumbs Up New Axis SR .223 Owner! :adoration:

Picked it up Monday and prepped it for Tuesday's break-in session. Scrubbed the barrel and entire gun clean with Hoppe's Elite; mounted my BSA Majestic 4-16x44 SF scope in some old Burris Signature rings on Burris Extreme bases; and fitted a muzzle brake. I then loaded up some rounds that proved accurate in my custom AR, only with a longer OAL to within .005 of touching the lands. Ready to go!
    Tuesday morning, my shootin' buddy and I went to "our spot" and I was in shock to witness the first sighting in groups. This was only at 25 yards, but my Axis was grouping about 3/8", and that's with cleaning after each shot! After 10 shots I picked one of my "pet" AR loads of 26.5gr CFE, CCI-450s, pushing 52gr Bergers, and proceeded to shoot 4 of 5 into a tight group about .20 CTC! This is with a 6+ lb trigger and me shooting (I'm not that good). I'm sure that with some trigger "tuning" this Axis will be an outstanding shooter with the right loads!
    Once home, upon checking everything out I found NO signs of copper fouling, which shocked me! I always find some copper even in custom barrels. Another good cleaning found the bore smoother than prior to shooting, so I think I've got it breaking in nicely.
    Did a bit of "tuning" on the trigger (so easy to work on) and ended up with a crisp 4 lbs after about 15 minutes work. I removed the factory spring and replaced it with a much shorter and lighter one. I installed in a 10-24 screw into the bottom of the trigger for a spring guide, and trimmed it to the correct OAL to act as a trigger stop. VIOLA! El cheapo trigger fix that didn't cost 1 cent! I may try to lighten it more, but that will wait for later. Right now, I just want to shoot this inexpensive, light weight and fun little gun!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    How come yours has a muzzle brake?

I never get to have a muzzle brake on any of mine......

What model is that or is it home brew?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Long time no see you post Frank,
    I saw two of the SR at the gun shop one in .223 and one in .308 and I did not like the barrel contour. I would like a smooth contour to the end of the muzzle. Fat to thin to fat at the treaded muzzle end, No like.
    RSG

6x47L Shooter

It's the SR Model.....

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    Long time no see you post Frank,
    I saw two of the SR at the gun shop one in .223 and one in .308 and I did not like the barrel contour. I would like a smooth contour to the end of the muzzle. Fat to thin to fat at the treaded muzzle end, No like.
    RSG
    To each his own. No like? No need to respond! I wanted a 20" barrel and the SR comes with one. Besides, the brake/comp tames the recoil a little which my grand child likes.

Basic Member
    Hey RSG.... Good to be back.

I see now that I re-read the original post. That's a "SR" model. I need to get out more I guess. I had no idea there was different models of Axis.

Well, raise my rent..... Learn something new every day.

So then, is that a brake or a compensator? And what's the diff?
    As long as I'm asking & if you don't mind.

6x47L Shooter
    Brake / compensator, pretty much the same thing. Found this one at Midway for $10.95!

Basic Member
    I've been using these guys here:
    http://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/Specials.php

Got a killer deal on a really nice SS brake for my 30.06. Looking to get another one for my .308, also. Now I can get back to my marathon '06 shooting sessions & I don't need to keep my chiropractor on retainer.

Basic Member
    No need to respond, sorry to get you mad. I will make it up to you, If you your in Phoenix some time bring you rifle and we go do some coyote call’n any time. Nothing makes friends like hunting
    RSG

6x47L Shooter
    Not mad at you RSG! Guess I felt your response might have been better sent as e-mail or PM. Anyway, I have relatives in the Phoenix area and would love to take you up on the hunt! Will contact you when we plan to travel down there! THANX!

Vt Rebel
    Did you epoxy in the 10-24 screw? Reason I ask, in another posting the person used a 10-32 screw, so I am confused as which I should use.

Thanks

6x47L Shooter

Mine is 10-24....can't say why they would be different.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vt Rebel View Post
    Did you epoxy in the 10-24 screw? Reason I ask, in another posting the person used a 10-32 screw, so I am confused as which I should use.

Thanks
    No need to epoxy!!! Can't remove it then. I used a screw with a head on it and tightened it up against the bottom of the trigger.