Picked it up Monday and prepped it for Tuesday's break-in session. Scrubbed the barrel and entire gun clean with Hoppe's Elite; mounted my BSA Majestic 4-16x44 SF scope in some old Burris Signature rings on Burris Extreme bases; and fitted a muzzle brake. I then loaded up some rounds that proved accurate in my custom AR, only with a longer OAL to within .005 of touching the lands. Ready to go!
Tuesday morning, my shootin' buddy and I went to "our spot" and I was in shock to witness the first sighting in groups. This was only at 25 yards, but my Axis was grouping about 3/8", and that's with cleaning after each shot! After 10 shots I picked one of my "pet" AR loads of 26.5gr CFE, CCI-450s, pushing 52gr Bergers, and proceeded to shoot 4 of 5 into a tight group about .20 CTC! This is with a 6+ lb trigger and me shooting (I'm not that good). I'm sure that with some trigger "tuning" this Axis will be an outstanding shooter with the right loads!
Once home, upon checking everything out I found NO signs of copper fouling, which shocked me! I always find some copper even in custom barrels. Another good cleaning found the bore smoother than prior to shooting, so I think I've got it breaking in nicely.
Did a bit of "tuning" on the trigger (so easy to work on) and ended up with a crisp 4 lbs after about 15 minutes work. I removed the factory spring and replaced it with a much shorter and lighter one. I installed in a 10-24 screw into the bottom of the trigger for a spring guide, and trimmed it to the correct OAL to act as a trigger stop. VIOLA! El cheapo trigger fix that didn't cost 1 cent! I may try to lighten it more, but that will wait for later. Right now, I just want to shoot this inexpensive, light weight and fun little gun!