Thread: Buying a savage 111 in 30-06 but have ? and im confused

chuckles79

Buying a savage 111 in 30-06 but have ? and im confused

I want a 30-06. I currently own a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 with heavy barrel that ive customized and its a great bench gun but i want a hunting rifle with more abilities than my old 30-30. At first i was thinking about the Remington 700 ADL package at walmart for 417.00 but ive always heard good things about Savage 110 series actions and how they are customizable. Ive been reading and Savage really makes all the 110,111, 114, 116 stuff hard to understand and their website really lacks and explanation on models. Here's where i am.... Im thinking about going with the 111 trophy hunter xp in 30-06 that comes with a Nikon BDC scope. I guess its identical to their 111 FCNS minus the accustock? Is the Accustock worth the extra money? Basically my goal is to get one of the Savage Rifles that i hear so much good about whether it be the FCNS, or Trophy hunter or even the Steven 200 (which i hear is good too) but i don't know what im looking for. I don't want to buy something then find out later that OOOOPPPPS that's the one model that's different than all the others and you cant find parts, stocks, accessories, mags or whatever else i may need for it. With Remington (which i am familiar with) a 700 is a 700 is a 700 but i need advice over here on getting my first savage. So basically If i want a nice 30-06 to hunt with in a savage action that i can upgrade and customize as time passes what should i buy and why?
    Last edited by chuckles79; 03-13-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Basic Member
    Accustock is good but the factory plastic cheapy on most is garbage. Easily changed with a visit to boyds.

Just stay clear of the axis.

110-116 are all the same action just different options. Only ones different are the Lrp version, they are made for a large shank barrel and are single shot. Otherwise options are standard vs accutrigger vs target accutrigger.
    Detachable mag vs blind vs floorplate
    Stock options
    Ss vs blued
    Barrel lengths and optional twist
    Ect

chuckles79
    so all things being equal should i pay less for the trophy hunter edition with the nikon scope but get a crappy stock (and upgrade later) or should i pass on the package andpay a little more for the one with the accustock. Also, i read somewhere the bolt release location has changed for the trophy gun (not sure where i saw that or if its even true) does this mean all the guns in the series have changed and aftermarket stock options will be updated and available for it aas well? Basically im clarifying that nothing changes internally on just one of these rifles right? If it changes on one then it changes on all and these numbers and different editions allways comes down to just options and colors right?

Basic Member
    Oh good point I forgot about that change. I would have to think the stocks would have to be inletted differently. Not sure if they have aftermarkets available for the bottom release action. Wish someone else would chime in who is up on the new version. I'm pretty sure jim at nss said all savage actions are going this route so there will be stocks if they aren't offered yet.

If you like the shape of the accustock go for it. If you want a thumbhole or tactical then buy the cheaper one and keep your eyes peeled.

Basic Member
    I suggest contacting boyds and see if the new actions use different inletting in the stock. I saw no mention on their site

chuckles79
    Not really worried about updating right now. Just down the road....as long as all the guns in this series is changing I'm ok, but if its just A few then I'm concerned.

Basic Member
    Goto the northland shooters supply subforum. Look at the actions for sale thread part way down the page he said all savage actions are switching to this style. Hes selling the last of the old style.

ellobo
    Just get a model 200. I think they are selling for about $350 now. Then change out the stock as the 200's will have the bolt release up at the reciever. Boyds makes great stocks for under $100 with a checkering option for $50 more. Adjust the trigger (instructions here) add the scope you want and you are ready to go. The only major difference in recievers is long action (3 digit model numbers) and short actions (2 digit model numbers) You can change barrels without a problem on either one but may need a bolt head change if the cartridge of the new barrel has a different head size than the one you put on. Easy to do.

El Lobo

chuckles79
    I thought about that but read you can't put the accutrigger on the Stevens because the action is different. This info made me wonder/fear what else I may end up missing out on if I went with the Stevens over the savage. If they are the same like people say I can't understand why the trigger wouldn't retrofit.

If you buy a stevens ,forget the accutrigger and buy a rifle basix sav-2 and never look back.There are plenty of stock options and if you have a good smith he could inlet the stock for a badger bottom metal that uses accuracy international magazines which are way better than anything else.Hs precision makes a stock that you would love or boyds and dont forget stockys.I would scrap the idea of the new factory bottom metal and do a box mag aftermarket and it will feed better than a remington.Just google savage bottom metal and there is another company that I can t remember the name of that has metal and mgazines that are pretty sweet.The smartest thing is to build a custom one that will outshoot and remington and do it for under a grand if you dont have to have a box mag.I stay with the internal mags,especially the centerfeed they use now.The centerfeed feeds almost flawlessly as I have only had trouble with one and I found the problem,it was a burr.We can and jim at northland shooter supply has everything you need to do it.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

chuckles79
    I'm even more confused now. Stevens, savage with old bot release, savage with new bolt release, new bottom metal. Wow! Options!

palerider338
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    If you buy a stevens ,forget the accutrigger and buy a rifle basix sav-2 and never look back.There are plenty of stock options and if you have a good smith he could inlet the stock for a badger bottom metal that uses accuracy international magazines which are way better than anything else.Hs precision makes a stock that you would love or boyds and dont forget stockys.I would scrap the idea of the new factory bottom metal and do a box mag aftermarket and it will feed better than a remington.Just google savage bottom metal and there is another company that I can t remember the name of that has metal and mgazines that are pretty sweet.The smartest thing is to build a custom one that will outshoot and remington and do it for under a grand if you dont have to have a box mag.I stay with the internal mags,especially the centerfeed they use now.The centerfeed feeds almost flawlessly as I have only had trouble with one and I found the problem,it was a burr.We can and jim at northland shooter supply has everything you need to do it.
    Accurate Mag is probably the one you're thinking of in addition to CDI precision.

Here are the standard Savage Codes:

Short Actions are 2-digit numbers, Long Actions are 3 Digit Numbers
    10/110 - Old Designation Sporter Series, Current Designation Law Enforcement Series
    11/111 - Current Designation Sporter Series
    12/112 - Varmint Series
    14/114 - Classic Series (High Luster Blue, High Grade Wood Stocks)
    16/116 - Weather Warrior Series (SS, Synthetic, Sporter & Mag Contoured Barrels)
    Target Action Guns ( 12 F/TR, 12 F-Class, 12 Palma, Etc.)
    Mod. 25 & 40 - Light Vamint Series
    Axis - Entry Level Sporter with DBM (all the same action length, but different from 10/110 to 16/116 series')
    Stevens 200 - Same as 11/111 except no Accutrigger (old style side bolt release only)

The Axis, 25, and 40 all have different action types then the rest and as such parts are generally not compatible, except Axis barrels are compatable with standard shank Savage. Axis Triggers can be modified to work with the Accu-trigger and there are now aftermarket choices.

AK - Adjustable Muzzle Brake
    B - Laminate Stock
    BT - Laminated Thumbhole Stock
    C - Clip (Detachable Box Magazine)
    F - Synthetic Stock
    G - Hardwood Stock
    H - Hinged Floorplate
    L - Left Hand
    ML - Muzzleloader
    NS - No Sights
    P - Police
    SS - Stainless Steel
    SR - Supressor Ready (Threaded Muzzle)
    T - (Rimfire) Peep Sights
    V - Long-Range (Heavy Barrel)
    XP - Package Gun
    Y - Youth

Now on the 10 thru 116 guns, most the newer guns are going to the bottom bolt release and have centerfeed magazines. The older ones have the side release and were made with centerfeed magazines and Staggerfeed magazines (older and no longer made). However there are certain new models that still retain the side bolt release (example: The Hog Hunter series).

Really, if you are buying a new gun (and in your case you know the caliber which dictates action length so that choice is made for you) then you really just need to decide which style bolt release you want. The older side release has been around since the 1960's so there will most likely be no shortage of aftermarket stocks for that action type for a lifetime as there are tons of these actions out there.

If I were in your shoes I would go with the older style release, like a Stevens 200 (same as a non-accutrigger 111) and upgrade the stock and trigger and pick out a good scope to throw on top, and go for it. You'll have the most options for aftermarket stocks/parts for the Long Action with this style.

Hope a bit of this helps.

Boots
    Last edited by bootsmcguire; 03-16-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling Error Fixed
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Berniep
    That post should be in a stickie somewhere